Menu

Curious if you can access your student's college grades or transcript online

My oldest has taken dual credit at two local schools - one a CC and one a 4 year university.

At one she could access her course grade (final, not while in progress) and view a listing of completed courses at all times.

At the other you could, while class was in session, see your recorded grades. However, once the class was over, you never knew your final grade unless you emailed the professor. There is no way to see your transcript without paying a fee and having it mailed to you.

Is this typical? Because it stinks. We finally decided to get a copy ourselves, and imagine our horror to find that somehow (???) they had replaced her name with her younger sister's name and reassigned the older sister's student number to the younger sister. Instant transcript for younger, but sorta messed up the older.

*I* cannot access anything, but my student can.

Final grades are posted through the Learning Management System once they have been entered by the professor and can be veiwed by the student. Students also can access an unofficial transcript at any time.

The same is the case at the university where I teach.

My student has been able to access an unofficial copy of his transcript online at both colleges he has attended.  I can do this too at the university I attend for graduate school.

Edited by EKS

Oldest is able to see course grades while in progress, final grades for all courses completed, and an unofficial transcript. 

I wonder if the info is there in your dc's school's system, but finding it is complicated.  At dc's school, there was nothing very intuitive about the website.  Final grades were there, but finding them was a challenge.  One had to log into the student communications page, then the academics section, then click on "other academics" to find a list of options including grades and unofficial transcript request.  Dc has transferred for fall and the new school uses the same format; maybe your dd's school does, too. 

I have been able to when I did my bachelor's and master's degrees from 2006-2013. I was able to see grades while taking classes and after they were over. I can also see an unofficial transcript for both also, which is just exactly the official transcript but without the stamped seal. I just looked and can access my transcript still, even though I finished 3 years ago Tuesday.

I was able to access my daughter's transcript from Purdue too, even though she graduated over 2 years ago. While she was going she and I were both able to see grades for ongoing classes and ones she had already finished.

That's pretty ridiculous--I've never heard of a school that didn't send out or post final grades in some fashion. My DS can see all of his online (and we also have printed an "unofficial transcript" for the auto insurance good student discount.)

Yikes on them confusing your teens' records too. Wow. Maybe as you're getting that straightened out, you can find out if there is a way to get an unofficial transcript online, or how students are supposed to get their grades each semester--what a crazy system. They can't be the only students who want their final grades (and really, their instructors have time to send out emails to all their students? That's nuts too...)

Okay, I thought it was super weird that you couldn't access your own grades and transcript.

I'll have her look through the system again. They just changed to a new system as they had so many problems/complaints with the old system, so hopefully that info will be there.