Menu

Is there such a thing as a remedial or review course for Algebra 1, if so, what?

My ds, 15, will be taking Geometry this next school year.  He is finishing up an Alg.1/Geo curriculum from this year and it has been so-so.  I ended up not liking the set up of the program and the way it grades, but it is what it is.  I also wish I would have chosen a strictly Algebra 1 curriculum.  But, again, hindsight and can't go back...  So, looking ahead to 11th grade and Algebra 2, I'm considering having him do a remedial Alg.1 course over that summer or something that could help brush up his algebra skills before Alg. 2 and also kind of complete that Algebra 1 course, too?  Thoughts?  What would I choose that would fit this?  Would the Key To... series fit this?  Online type course?  (this would be ideal!)  What else???  Thanks.

• Like 1

This is what I would do. If you do not want to completely redo a year of algebra, but just want to solidify what he knows, pick up a Lial's algebra book and have your son take the diagnostic test at the front the the book. It actually breaks the test up by chapter, so once he completes it, you can target the specific chapters in Lial's that he needs to work on. Lial's is inexpensive and you can get dvds to go with it for about $30.

If you want to completely redo algebra, I'd take a look at CLE's algebra 1. It gives explicit instruction and plenty of practice, but not so much that it is overwhelming. There aren't as many people who have used CLE's algebra because it hasn't been out as long as some of the others, but CLE's earlier levels get lots of rave reviews, and I found the algebra to be just as solid.

Lial's Intermediate algebra may also be a good fit for your ds for algebra 2 because each chapter begins with the algebra 1 level of the material before expanding on it and introducing new concepts.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 5

This is what I would do. If you do not want to completely redo a year of algebra, but just want to solidify what he knows, pick up a Lial's algebra book and have your son take the diagnostic test at the front the the book. It actually breaks the test up by chapter, so once he completes it, you can target the specific chapters in Lial's that he needs to work on. Lial's is inexpensive and you can get dvds to go with it for about $30.

If you want to completely redo algebra, I'd take a look at CLE's algebra 1. It gives explicit instruction and plenty of practice, but not so much that it is overwhelming. There aren't as many people who have used CLE's algebra because it hasn't been out as long as some of the others, but CLE's earlier levels get lots of rave reviews, and I found the algebra to be just as solid.

Lial's Intermediate algebra may also be a good fit for your ds for algebra 2 because each chapter begins with the algebra 1 level of the material before expanding on it and introducing new concepts.

Is this the dvd that goes with it?  

https://www.amazon.com/Resources-Chapter-Beginning-Intermediate-Algebra/dp/0321715721/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1467860725&sr=8-10&keywords=lial%27s+algebra+dvd

Thank you for posting this!  I have Lial's Intermediate Alg on my shelf and now I'm totally doing this with my girl (who, believe, needs a review of Alg 1 before moving on)!  Thanks!

Here is the book I have -- https://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Algebra-Developmental-Mathematics-Paperback/dp/0321279212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467897175&sr=8-1&keywords=0321279212

Solutions Manual -- https://www.amazon.com/Student-Solutions-manual-Introductory-Algebra/dp/0321285808/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41lQ8OM04mL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR124%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=41F42DMWH56X80ZEVMTN

And here are the dvds -- https://www.amazon.com/Videos-Introductory-Algebra-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321607813/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467897383&sr=1-10&keywords=Lials+dvds

The dvds you linked would probably work fine, but I'm not sure how much the editions have changed. I know the dvds and book I linked line up.

One of the nice things about the paperback version of the book is that it has margin exercises the student can work through as you watch the dvd. I always watched the dvd with my son and paused it so he could work out those exercises one day one and then had him work out the odds for that section the next day. When we came to the chapter review, he did all of those exercises.

Jann in TX teaches algebra I and algebra II uses these books and she has given lots of advice about editions and how to use the books over the years.

• Like 2

Landry Academy has a Solidifying Foundations in Algebra. It is 1 semester, but I believe it was also a summer option.

My son started geometry last year, but felt overwhelmed. I put him in the algebra review class to tide him over this year. It was well done, and the teacher wanted them to know the math, not just work for a grade. Lots of extra practice stuff available. Highly recommend if you need an outside teacher and review.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this! I have Lial's Intermediate Alg on my shelf and now I'm totally doing this with my girl (who, believe, needs a review of Alg 1 before moving on)! Thanks!

I used Lial's Intermediate with my ds and was happy with it, but it has recently been brought to my attention that it is not as strong as a program like DO. It was still a great fit for my son and I'm glad we used it, but now I feel like I should throw that in. From what I understand, Lial's was designed to remediate math for college-level students.

• Like 1

Aleks would be a good way to see what he already knows, and fill in holes.  I'm not sure I'd do Aleks for an entire Algebra 1 course, because I don't think their explanations are that great, but as a way to review stuff he kind of knows, it's a great tool.

• Like 1

Is this only a full year course?

Yes, but you can speed it up as much as you want.  For example, my son had done the Lial Intermediate Algebra book, but needed what I would consider a "real" Algebra 2 course prior to moving on to precalculus.  He ran through DO Algebra 2 in a semester.

• Like 1

We did Algebra 1, but ended up with a few holes in the later topics - polynomials & quadratics - and I really wanted to make sure the fundamentals were solid before moving on, as well as fill those holes.  We decided to go with Videotext Algebra.  We really like it. It will end up covering Algebra 1 & Algebra 2, and we'll get through it in a year. We've finished the first two units, which were review, so we went through them quickly, doing each Quiz and Unit Test but not doing all the exercises.  Even so, it really solidified the basic understanding of the why behind all the computations, and *really* helped with word problems.  I know it's not a format/presentation style that works for everyone, but I could definitely see using it either alongside Geometry, or going through the whole thing (or at least Unit 2 on through the end) for your Alg 2 credit, because it incorporates a solid, thorough review of Alg 1.  That's the route we're taking, and will do Geometry after.  (Dd is also working through Khan's Algebra playlist on the side for additional review & practice).

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 2

Landry Academy has a Solidifying Foundations in Algebra. It is 1 semester, but I believe it was also a summer option.

That was going to be my suggestion, too! Here is the course description:

Prerequisite: Algebra 1. As a college math instructor, I have had students who completed pre-calculus or trigonometry in high school, but when they took their college placement test, they were put in Basic Math or Pre-Algebra because they didn’t have a strong foundation of math basics. Twenty-plus years of teaching math have allowed me to identify the specific areas of math foundations that can create problems for students at all levels. This course is for students who already have a solid foundation of integers, fractions, and decimals but need to review their algebra skills. (Students who do not have a grasp on those concepts should first begin with Solidifying Foundations of Math.) In this class, students will practice combining like terms, factoring, solving algebraic equations, using rules of algebraic exponents, calculating radicals, FOIL, and graphing linear equations. This class is great for a student who has completed algebra but needs to improve their algebraic skills. It is also good for a student who wants to review algebra skills before going to college. This course will have a small to moderate amount of homework, and can be completed during the school year alongside their grade-level curriculum. Who should take this class? Students who have finished Algebra 1 and those in any of the other high school level math classes who want their Algebra 1 foundation to be rock solid.

Their Fall class is on Thursdays at 1 p.m. ET for 90 minutes each week. The price is high now, but you might be able to find someone to sell you a generic credit for less than the $390 it is currently listed for.

• Like 2

Yes, but you can speed it up as much as you want. For example, my son had done the Lial Intermediate Algebra book, but needed what I would consider a "real" Algebra 2 course prior to moving on to precalculus. He ran through DO Algebra 2 in a semester.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say Lial's isn't a "real" algebra 2. I absolutely agree that DO's covers more than Lial's and Saxon for algebra 2, but doesn't his prealgebra prepare the student for calculus, just like Lial's or Saxon would? It seems as though there is a lot of overlap between algebra 2 and precalculus and that publishers hit things at different points in the progression. Now, I totally agree that programs like Aops and DO go deeper and hit things in a more conceptual way, but I can really see the value of Lial's, especially for a non-stem student. And I know there are lots of people who used have used Lial's with success on these boards over the years and even some who followed it up with AP calculus.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say Lial's isn't a "real" algebra 2. I absolutely agree that DO's covers more than Lial's and Saxon for algebra 2, but doesn't his prealgebra prepare the student for calculus, just like Lial's or Saxon would? It seems as though there is a lot of overlap between algebra 2 and precalculus and that publishers hit things at different points in the progression. Now, I totally agree that programs like Aops and DO go deeper and hit things in a more conceptual way, but I can really see the value of Lial's, especially for a non-stem student. And I know there are lots of people who used have used Lial's with success on these boards over the years and even some who followed it up with AP calculus.

Lial's Intermediate Algebra is *not* Algebra 2.  There is a huge disconnect between what it covers and a standard, high school Algebra 2 course.  

This does *not* mean that Lial's *precalculus* book will not prepare a student for calculus.  I have no doubt that it does.  What I am saying is that the Lial progression puts off most of the conceptually difficult work of Algebra 2 to precalculus, and that this seems to be typical of the remedial texts I've seen.

For what it *does* teach, Lial is a strong text (except for applications which are just mediocre).  It is a great text for a student who needs to solidify Algebra 1 but who also needs to move forward somewhat.  I used it for my younger son this way.  My point here is that there is a huge jump between Lial's Intermediate Algebra and every precalculus text I've seen--including hers.  

In hindsight, the combined Algebra/Geometry course was probably a mistake.  Algebra 1 is the foundation for advanced math. You are correct that he needs to be very sold in Algebra 1.  If the material was insufficient, and/or he didn't like it or learn from it, I would do Algebra 1 over. Possibly concurrently with Geometry 1 if he can handle the workload. 

Lial's Intermediate Algebra is *not* Algebra 2. There is a huge disconnect between what it covers and a standard, high school Algebra 2 course.

This does *not* mean that Lial's *precalculus* book will not prepare a student for calculus. I have no doubt that it does. What I am saying is that the Lial progression puts off most of the conceptually difficult work of Algebra 2 to precalculus, and that this seems to be typical of the remedial texts I've seen.

For what it *does* teach, Lial is a strong text (except for applications which are just mediocre). It is a great text for a student who needs to solidify Algebra 1 but who also needs to move forward somewhat. I used it for my younger son this way. My point here is that there is a huge jump between Lial's Intermediate Algebra and every precalculus text I've seen--including hers.

What are your definitions of algebra 2 and precalculus? If Lial's Introductory Algebra, Intermediate Algebra and Precalculus lead to calculus, then presumably the algebra 2 is in there somewhere, right? I guess you are saying it is all in the precalcus book. The only thing that makes me question that is that my son did learn a lot of new material in the Intermediate book and I do have another algebra 2 text here at home that doesn't look shockingly different from Lial's to me. Also, my ds did quite well on the ACT even though he hadn't finished the last 4 or 5 chapters of Lial's Intermediate at that point. One thing that I did notice that Lial's didn't cover that Saxon did was sin, cos and tan.

Anyway, I'm not an expert and I really don't mean to argue about it. I just feel that Lial's has been a solid program and has served my son well. It's also easy to use at home, and that's a huge plus. I just hate to see people completely discount it, so I feel the need to at least share our experience with it. That's all.

• Like 1

Also here is a quick comparison of Lial Introductory Algebra and Intermediate Algebra organized by the chapter titles in my edition of Intermediate Algebra.  There are a total of 60 sections, 19 contain new material.   

Real number system--no new topics

Linear equations and applications--no new topics

Linear inequalities and absolute value--New: one section on absolute value equations and inequalities

Graphs, linear equations, and functions--no new topics

Systems on linear equations--New: a section on systems of linear equations in three variables and a section on matrix methods.  

Exponents, polynomials, and polynomial functions--New: part of a section deals with factoring sums and differences of cubes

Rational expressions and functions--no new topics

Roots, radicals, and root functions--New: a section on complex numbers

Quadratic equations, inequalities, and functions--New: two sections on applications and a section on quadratic and rational inequalities

Exponential and logarithmic functions--New: all six sections

Nonlinear functions, conic sections, and nonlinear systems--New: all five sections

My son has Aspergers/ADHD and really had trouble with Algebra because it is so abstract. What I got for him was an App called Hands on Equations. He did all the levels with no problems because it was so “concrete†

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fun-way-to-learn-algebra-free/id505954972?mt=8

HTH 

Eek, I didn't know this was an app now! I need it for myself, lol. 

Aleks would be a good way to see what he already knows, and fill in holes.  I'm not sure I'd do Aleks for an entire Algebra 1 course, because I don't think their explanations are that great, but as a way to review stuff he kind of knows, it's a great tool.

Agree with all of this. ALEKS review is way easier on both teacher and student than trying to select certain topics from a text, imo. 

OP, what geometry will you be using? We used Holt, and it has review of algebra every week, and a couple of chapters on trig. If you are using Holt or anything with good integration, I would consider calling it a day and not planning to need review of algebra 1. 

I do agree that algebra skills need to be solid, but sometimes that happens naturally enough as they go through geometry and algebra 2. My oldest took forever to get through algebra 1 and she was still missing a few topics when I said, for the love of god, enough, you're finished with algebra 1! More time was not going to help at that point. She could do AoPS challenge problems one day and not the most basic of texts another day. Her brain maturity/hormonal mix was just not steady at that point, and one of the programs confused her more than anything.  

10th-grade, she did Holt Geometry with 9 billion proofs and daily review problems, and things started to click. In 11th-grade, she did both Algebra 2 and precalc with no algebra 1 review. We were prepared to back up and review if needed, but most math books include both review and explanation of all topics, so I was fine with just proceeding and seeing how things went. 

• Like 1

I think we're talking past each other a bit, and that may be my fault, so I'm going to step away. My intent in posting originally was simply to try to help OP remediate algebra 1 for her ds. I agree with everything you have posted, with the exception of your statement that Lial's Intermediate is not algebra 2. I agree that DO is a stronger program as you have shown very clearly on your comparison chart. But, I still think Lial's Intermediate covers much of the algebra 2 material I've seen listed as algebra 2. 🙂

With the caveat that most of my familiarity with Lial's books is on Precalculus, but IMO it's very calculation focused and doesn't do a good job with teaching problem solving skills and how to use math.  For algebra 1 review, calculation review seems sufficient, but I would want an approach that teaches problem-solving and using math for algebra 2 -- after all, for calculation, a computer can do a lot in the real world.  For algebra 1 review, besides Lial, I think Khan Academy does a nice job and allows you to focus on what's missing (Aleks probably would work well too).  I don't think DC's algebra 1 has to be perfect as some of algebra 2 will review many of those concepts, especially at the beginning of algebra 2; as long as you have the algebra 1 basics down and have some time to fill in some gaps when you hit them in algebra 2, I think you'll be fine.

To add some others to consider for algebra 2, you might want to look at Dolciani's books and Foerster's, another excellent option.  Prentice-Hall also has some fairly basic algebra 2 books, very affordable used. 

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by Brad S
  • Like 1

Just to follow up my post on how much is new when going from Lial Introductory Algebra to Lial Intermediate Algebra (which was 19 of 60 topics or 32%), I did the same thing looking at what is new going from Lial Intermediate Algebra to Lial Precalculus.  The bottom line is that it was 47 of 72 topics or 65%. 

Ch 1:  Equations and inequalities—No new topics

Ch 2:  Graphs and functions—New: 2 of 8 sections

Ch 3:  Polynomial and rational functions—New: 5 of 6 sections

Ch 4: Inverse, exponential, and logarithmic functions—No new topics

Ch 5: Trigonometric functions—New: All 4 sections

Ch 6:   The circular functions and their graphs—New: All 6 sections

Ch 7:  Trigonometric identities and equations—New: All 7 sections

Ch 8:  Applications of trigonometry—New: All 8 sections

Ch 9:  Systems and matrices—New: 4 of 8 sections

Ch 10:  Analytic geometry—New: All 4 sections

Ch 11:  Further topics in algebra—New: All 7 sections

Edited by EKS