Menu

New here, Language Arts Help

WYBound

Hello all. I could use some help with language arts curriculum for my 9 year old. He is pretty muchh ahead in all other subjects but LA seems to be a real struggle. No matter what curriculum we try he just does not seem to get it and nothing is being retained. The retention may be my fault for switching around.

We have tried CLE. That always ended in tears. There was too much on the page and he said it jumped around too much for him. He always cried with that one because he thought it was too hard and he did not understand.

We have tried Rod and Staff. I found it too dry but son also did not seem to grasp it and he just stopped trying.

We tried BJU English and same as the other two. Currently we are working with Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing. I do not like those either. He is able to figure out a pattern for the answers. I don't believe he is learning anything. Today was a review of sentences and he could not tell the difference between a subject and predicate.

What else is there for me to try? I do not mind something teacher intensive. I am desperate to find something that works for him. I can not keep doing what were doing everyday and ended our school days with tears. He has been tested for learning disabilities and there are none. He just can not grasp LA for some reason :(

Welcome!

There are a few other choices out there.

1.  First Language Lessons (FLL) along with Writing with Ease (WWE)  - scripted and lots of review.  I really enjoy and like.

2.  MCT (Michael Clay Thomspson) - very colorful, 4 or 5 books for the program.  My son loves this program.  I enjoy it too. 

3.  Easy grammar (never used)

4.  Shurley grammar (never used)

That's all I can think of.  Hope this helps. 

I wouldn't stress at not being able to identify a subject and predicate by age 9.

Personally, I'd make sure his reading is okay and try a fun writing program.

Just Write has been good for my dd10. Take a look at the samples of book 1 and 2 at Christianbook. We started with the paragraphs sections of book 1 when she was 9 and completed book 2 in the same year. She HATED writing bit never complained about JW.

I also had her use Dictation Day By Day (aka Modern Speller) for copywork and she never complained about that either. Those passages are rather nice.

She used Easy Grammar along with them.

If I wasn't using the combo I'm using, I might try the new Writers In Residence text that's been recently published.

My policy has been to do almost anything to re-ignite the love of learning if it's been lost through bad or simply boring learning experiences.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will look into all of them today.

His reading is pretty good. We just started reading the Harry Potter series together and he is doing well with those.

I am trying not to stress about him not being able to tell the difference between a subject and predicate bit its also simple things. He struggles to remember what a noun is, can't remember what a verb is etc.

We have been schooling year round. Should I take a break from LA before I start something new with him?

I think I'd give the grammar a break.

I might also give a break before starting a formal writing curriculum.

You might want to give him a journal that would appeal to him and let him free write if he wanted to. Backing up and giving some space has sometimes worked here.

• Like 1

A break sounds good to me. When it comes to grammar, I will spend weeks on one part of speech. Months, even, for the hard ones. (Those crazy adverbs!)

But I bet you need a break...a break from the curriculum, at least, because you know your son best and I bet if you relax you can figure out what he'll enjoy and be motivated by!

• Like 1

Around here, we don't worry too much about grammar before 3rd grade anyway. Just informally through discussing our copywork. We just focus on the reading and narrating and copywork skills before 3rd grade. So my 8 year old doesn't know much about those things either. :) At around age 9 or so, the grammar skills click and it's fine. As long as he's reading fine, I'd just concentrate on copywork for a while, and bring out grammar in a few months. We like to do FLL 3 & 4 slowly over 3rd through 5th to teach grammar formally.

• Like 1

He might benefit from a run through GrammarLand. http://www.letticebell.com/GrammarLand.pdf It is what I am using with my youngest, along with a pdf from Currclick that turns the parts of speech in the book into cartoony Montessori symbols.

With my oldest we used Writing Tales.  It has hands on games built in and goes through language arts slowly and methodically.  They have two books, one for 3rd-4th, and one for 4th-5th.

• Like 1

GrammarLand is such a fun book! Mine loved it. 

Have you looked at Voyages in English by Loyola Press? It is pricy but has a review workbook that goes alongside.

How about Lightning Literature by Hewitt Homeschooling? 4th grade is supposed to be ready in August.

With CLE were you doing the lessons with him? My 11 yr old is the same way but if I sit with him, he gets it better. I do have to give LOTS of reminders, though.

Check out the Institute for Excellence in Writing. They have a program Fix-It grammar that teaches grammar in the context of writing. Their writing instruction is fantastic as well. They offer loads of help and money back guarantee on all purchases directly from them.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I think we are going to take a nice break from LA for a bit. It will give me plenty of time to research all my options and figure out where to go from here.

With CLE I was sitting with him and doing the lessons with him. It always ended with both of us in tears. I think it may have been the constant review that bothered him the most.

I have not heard of Voyages in English. I will look into that as well.

If I forgot to respond to some I'm sorry. Its been a hectic day here today.

I am also looking into ELTL. So many options!

He likes the idea of a break. As long as we don't stop math and Latin, his request!

So, you're wanting only grammar? "Language arts" includes grammar, composition, spelling/vocabulary, reading/literature, and penmanship.

If you want only grammar, then my recommendation is Easy Grammar. BJUP, R&S, and CLE are comprehensive English texts. Easy Grammar is only grammar, plus punctuation and capitalization. And I would wait a few months before doing it; in our family, we don't do grammar until the dc are 11ish. :-)

We did two years of FLL and my son retained NOTHING. I posted a thread on it and got several helpful ideas. I went with Grammaropolis. (HSBC has the best price). It's fun and engaging, and he's remembering things! He actually ASKS to do it! There are quizzes built in periodically, so I just have him re-do any he hasn't mastered until he gets perfect scores. I don't hold him back though....we move forward, and each day I choose a few of the quizzes to re-do. It works as a good review. When he's worked through all the parts of speech, I think we'll read Grammarland. And then I'll go ahead and move into FLL3. I feel like this has been the perfect "break" from formal grammar.

Oh, and I also have him do Mad-Libs. 

I think a break would be good.

I love ELTL, but I don't like the grammer in it.  I skip the grammar.

I would do MTC or something that teaches in a fun way using pictures, which I think MTC does.  I haven't used it myself.  Stay away from the traditional English if you can.

I would also look into Bravewriter. 

I used Grammar Land with dd when she was 10. Before that she would not understand it. Especially the second half of the book where it gets more complicated. But it is an excellent book! 

When I hear of someone who is not getting other programs I like to suggest Learning Language Arts Through Literature. While we really do enjoy ELTL   the grammar is a bit difficult. I think the grammar in LLATL would be much more easy to grasp. 

• Like 1

I would say Fll And easy grammar for practice sheets. No colorful distractions on the pages and very straight forward and to the point.

Another that I use with them is the Charlotte Mason eng. I still use my old English for the thoughtful child. Very sweet moments between mom n child :) it's gentle yet amazingly affective . you can flip flop days, like one day fll and ea. Gr. , next day Charlotte Mason and practice on lined paper. Mix it up a bit. I truly believe the Charlotte Mason books will help and soooo sweet :)

We curl up together on the couch and have fun times with it.

Easy grammar to simply practice . I use fll as the spine and pull in the ea. Gr. To coincide with that.

Charlotte Mason is done in order of the book. But not on the same days as fll as she really made that a Charlotte Mason type of book. Love them both and was first grammar we had without tears and they love the mommy time they vet :)

We quit Easy Grammar not far into 3rd grade due to frustration. Easy Grammar in 4th grade starting fresh was perfect. Same concepts one year later was much easier. I used some CLE for things not covered in Easy Grammar, but did it mostly orally. I loved the looks of the CLE 200 and 300 workbooks initially. A few lessons in decided I didn't teach or like the phonics, spelling, or penmanship. Oh, the complicated life of not liking scripted lessons!

Ohhhhh grammarland!

We started that last week...we Love It. The only thing the boys have thoroughly enjoyed. We are going to make a map of grammarland and add in the characters and make them the gems they speak of (earth sciecnin there too haha ) and make the gems of parts of speech the precious stones to coincide with the color coding I gave each part of speech on their players.

We made a part of speech poater for each p.of SP.

Sooo fun! And they remember it way better that way.

We keep the posters taped up on the walls to refer to n play with.

Op that might be a good idea for a "break" from grammar. Make fun posters. With different colors , each p.of SP. Gets a different color. Boys loved them and always read them aloud on the wall cuz...thwy made them and decorated them . they love them.

They self review that way. Good thing...we need TONS of review lol

• Like 2

What you are doing sounds wonderful! I was going to link you to a free printable board game that is based off of the book, but all of the links go to weird places now. But these lovely free worksheets, also based off of the book and my dd enjoyed, are still available. Your children may like as well. There is one sheet per chapter in the book.

Edited by Susie in MS
  • Like 1