Menu

new to glass top range questions

bettyandbob

We needed to replace our range. Repair estimate was $400 (it had a lot wrong lol). 

I wanted one with elements, but dh was shopping for me while I was away and he felt the best deals was with a glass cooktop. I've avoided those because my neighbors cracked theirs easily a few years ago. 

How do I avoid cracking it. Can I put something from the oven or microwave on it to cool?

Also when I use a griddle it fits over the elements on my current stove. Without elements what do you do with a griddle (need to make pancakes, havent made pancakes in months).

I feel stupid and may feel more stupid when you answer. Thanks for helping me! 

How to avoid cracking it: Don't hit it with a sledgehammer?

Yes, you can set hot things from the oven on it.

A glass cooktop (I assume electric, not induction) still has elements, they are just under the glass, so you can still put a griddle across two elements.

• Like 2

I  was new to glass top 6 years ago.  I have had no issues.  I frequently put hot items from stove or microwave on them.  I have never dropped anything on it.

I do not have a two burner grill pan, just a regular pancake griddle, so I can't answer that.

Mine came with a soft scub kind of cleaning product.  I buy Barkeepers Friend in a large b ottle at Home Depot or Lowes and it works great.

Fun thing I do, I warm tortillas directly on the stove when the burners are set on a low setting. No pan needed.

Don't get too loose-handed with a cast iron pan or dutch oven, and don't let a kid stand on it and it will be fine.  They take heat fine and are much easier to clean than the regular electric kind.

Also don't let kids get in the habit of treating it like regular countertop and throwing their bags up on it in the morning.  I melted my favorite backpack as a kid that way once when my mom broke her routine and made eggs on a weekday morning once.

Use a straight blade razor scraper and special soft-scrub cleanser for glass top stoves for most cleaning.  Scotch-bright makes a cleaning sponge for glass stoves that doesn't scratch but does get off burnt-on stains EASILY.  Get one and save yourself the elbow grease.

If you're worried about it, get the extended warranty through the manufacturer  (NOT the store.  ESPECIALLY not if the store is Lowe's).

You can break it if you put a pan on it that is too large for the burner, I believe. The manual should give you tips about this. There is also something about wavy bottomed pots (like a hot water bath canner). 

A two-burner griddle can work, but if your burners are not the same size, it might warp. 

If you put something that's wet on the bottom on a burner, it will steam and hiss (and even pop or rattle) as the water evaporates. It's probably not a good idea to do that as a rule, but it happens sometimes, and it never cracked our stove.

We did all kinds of things wrong, and we didn't crack it. We did chip it once--I think we had a boiled over mess, and something got stuck. It still worked just fine.

If I had to have an electric stove again, I would not hesitate to get another glass top. (I'm a gas stove girl all the way.)

Cleaning--bon ami is awesome and cheap. No harsh chemicals and will not scratch unless you are using a rag or pad that is too abrasive. 

Don't get too loose-handed with a cast iron pan or dutch oven, and don't let a kid stand on it and it will be fine. They take heat fine and are much easier to clean than the regular electric kind.

Also don't let kids get in the habit of treating it like regular countertop and throwing their bags up on it in the morning. I melted my favorite backpack as a kid that way once when my mom broke her routine and made eggs on a weekday morning once.

Use a straight blade razor scraper and special soft-scrub cleanser for glass top stoves for most cleaning. Scotch-bright makes a cleaning sponge for glass stoves that doesn't scratch but does get off burnt-on stains EASILY. Get one and save yourself the elbow grease.

If you're worried about it, get the extended warranty through the manufacturer (NOT the store. ESPECIALLY not if the store is Lowe's).

^+1

Yeah if you end up getting one get the specialty white cooktop cleaner and a cooktop scrubber pad (one pad lasts me like 2 years, lol I'm not cleaning it enough)

I hate mine to be perfectly honest. if I could choose my own again and my DH was not afraid of a gas flame stove (?!?!) I'd want a gas stove over glass top any day. Then again I've never had a gas stove, just thinking the grass must be greener.

Never cracked one yet knock on wood. Have owned 2. 5 yrs and 7 yrs.

You can crack them if you set a hot lid down flat on the stove. It creates some sort of suction as it cools and can crack the glass. Just set your lids on the counter, or prop them so they're not flat down on the glass. They warn of this in the manual, but it wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen on an episode of Jon and Kate Plus 8.

I actually haven't used my cast iron griddle since I got this stove because it has a raised edge and I wasn't sure it would work without sitting flat on the glass. I use my cast iron skillet all the time. I either make waffles, or I do pancakes in my electric skillet.

Eta: I thought I wanted gas until I had one in a rental. Dd and I did not like the way it smelled when lighting. DH and DS could smell nothing and thought we were crazy. I actually love my glass stove. It has two ovens and I use them both more than I ever thought would. I use the little half-sized one on top 80% of the time.

Edited by KungFuPanda

^+1

Yeah if you end up getting one get the specialty white cooktop cleaner and a cooktop scrubber pad (one pad lasts me like 2 years, lol I'm not cleaning it enough)

I hate mine to be perfectly honest. if I could choose my own again and my DH was not afraid of a gas flame stove (?!?!) I'd want a gas stove over glass top any day. Then again I've never had a gas stove, just thinking the grass must be greener.

Never cracked one yet knock on wood. Have owned 2. 5 yrs and 7 yrs.

Gas cooktops are a nightmare to keep clean. I've had gas for years and we are switching to electric (probably an induction cooktop) because I have been fighting a losing battle with my burners, grates, etc.