Menu

Help me design/finish our basement!

marisolstice

Looking for ideas to maximize the usefulness of our basement as we plan to finish it. We have about 1700 sq ft, 8 ft ceilings, dry climate (so no worry about dampness), cold winters, a fireplace, one northern window and two eastern windows to work with. We have six kids (may have more), plan to live here another 20 years or so, homeschool, have lots of hobbies and tons of books, may have parents to care for someday.

What would you consider and prioritize? Any regrets or things you'd do differently if you've finished a basement?

Some things I have in mind are 

• Space to workout. We have an elliptical and free weights. Some of the kids take ballet and like gymnastics, so possibly mirrors and a barre and special floors? Maybe a climbing wall.
  • A guest room, either close to or attached to the bathroom. We have frequent visitors.
  • Built in, closed shelving for books. We are literature-based...'nuf said!
  • Laundry chute.
  • A quiet space(es) for kids to study or just be alone as they are growing older
  • A secret space. Our house is a ranch, which is the most awesomely practical style, but also the most boring. None of the nooks and crannies of older ones. So I want to add something interesting....a tunnel? A slide? A hidden room?
  • I'm stuck on flooring because I dislike carpet, but basements here are COLD in the winter.
  • Insulation--is this helpful in deadening sound between levels?

So bring on the ideas! :)

For the floor, one family I know laid down a special plywood with an insulated core under the carpet and it really warmed things up.

Make sure the bedroom has a legal egress window. If possible I would add a few more egress windows before you finish it off if you might want to add more bedrooms down there later.

I think wood floors are almost as warm as carpet if you do an excellent sub-floor. You can also use area rugs as desired.

I would set up one side of a main room as an active play room, with the weights and elliptical, plus a balance beam, mini trampoline, climbing wall, trapeze bar or hanging rings... All that stuff. Mirrors will be fantastic. A slide will work as a laundry chute, but a laundry chute can't be used as a slide.

I'd set up the guest room as a "study" with a desk and glass-front bookshelves (as well as the bed for your guests and all the bedroom types of stuff) so it won't go unused when there are no guests. Also maybe plan on storring off-season and between-kids clothes there if your guests won't always need full closet or dresser space.

I'd consider a mini-bar style kitchenette: with a mini fridge, microwave, sink that can double as a small 'laundry sink' and a counter that doubles as an eating bar -- *and* doubles as a science station or a messy art station. This gives you a project space the isn't your kitchen for future homeschooling, plus gives your guests the ability to have coffee or small meals in their own space.

I'd consider a video game and movie space, depending on if you intend to enjoy teenagers in that way. A couch and coffee table facing a wall for the tv, with space for speakers isnt too much of a space-hog. This can also be surrounded by book cases (glass front).

Make sure your bathroom is well equipped and "accessible" for guests as they age -- they should be able to step into a shower, not have to stand in a tub. Also consider where and how a lift might factor into the floor plan if it ever becomes a necessity. It probably won't be needed, but it's nice to know where the footprint would be just in case. And keep any doorways slightly wider that is 'normal' -- a few inches makes a big difference. And avoid varying the floor height.

Do you have a calm play space for board games, puzzles and Lego? It's nice to make that into a separate space too.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1

From our conversations recently, we would be looking to add an area where we could all craft or work on projects. Could be sewing, scrapbooking, paper crafts, building and then displaying lego creations, art, mounting photographs, etc. I would want this space to have good lighting (natural preferred--windows), lots of table space, cupboards/drawers for supplies, possibly a bookcase.

You might consider, instead of floor-to-ceiling book cases, a 'cupboard below shelves above' style of built-in. It leaves space for board games and/or craft supplies and/or office supplies and/or toys to be stored out of sight. The books stay in full view, and the overall look can be very nice.

• Like 2

We just had our basement finished before we moved into this new house last year, and one of the things that I insisted on was a large closet. We had one in our last house and loved it. You know how some large closets have a double door (not sliding doors, but the kind that open like a regular door), so that when it is open, you have a double-wide doorway? Our closet is extremely wide and has TWO of those double doors. Inside, there are floor to ceiling shelves for toys and board games. It is deep enough to walk into, so we can store larger items (like a vacuum cleaner or a tall toy) in there as well.

That closet makes a huge difference in our basement, because we can keep all of the toys out of sight but still accessible. I love it!

We've always had carpet in our basements, but if you are going to have a craft area, it might be useful to have some laminate or tile that is easy to clean. You may also consider using carpeting that goes down in squares; if one spot gets worn or damaged by the children or pets, you can just replace that piece.

I have a ballet dancer, too, and I know you might like to have a studio space. Just beware, though, that concrete flooring is extremely bad for dancers, even with another flooring placed on top of it, so dancing in the basement would not be the healthiest idea. Making a space upstairs would be better (though I know that might not be feasible).

Edited by Storygirl

• A guest room, either close to or attached to the bathroom. We have frequent visitors.

If you can make the guest room have direct access to the bathroom it makes it really nice.  At our old house, I had it designed where you could get to the bathroom from the downstairs living area and also from the bedroom through a pocket door.  That way guest don't have to walk out in the living area to get to the bathroom which gives them more privacy.

• 2 weeks later...

A feature I love in a basement, which doesn't necessarily take up much room, is a cold room.  It could be a whole room but more often just a closet size, on a north wall.  They are vented - (your north window might be a good place for that) and insulated - so they will be cool in summer without freezing things in winter.  If you have a big garden you might want to keep produce there but also great for things like beer or pop, home canned products, sometimes root veg, cheese, apples, and so on.

For a basement, I would think about something like lino or rubber, and you can get underfloor for basement floors that will be warmer.

• Like 1

A feature I love in a basement, which doesn't necessarily take up much room, is a cold room. It could be a whole room but more often just a closet size, on a north wall. They are vented - (your north window might be a good place for that) and insulated - so they will be cool in summer without freezing things in winter. If you have a big garden you might want to keep produce there but also great for things like beer or pop, home canned products, sometimes root veg, cheese, apples, and so on.

For a basement, I would think about something like lino or rubber, and you can get underfloor for basement floors that will be warmer.

I grew up with a room like this! We called it the cellar but cold room makes more sense.

It was great and really convenient!

• Like 1