Menu

Glue Sticks

mamaraby

We do a lot of lap books/history pockets/etc that require glue of some sort.  So far I have tried:

-white glue (messy, takes awhile to dry)

-gel glue (ditto white glue)

-rubber cement (messy, harder for the kids to use, and seems to not stick over the long term)

-double sided tape runner (definitely lasts, the kids can sometimes struggle with it, and it is $$$/harder to find refills for)

-glue sticks (easy to use, but doesn't seem to stick over the long term)

I think second semester last year we went through six 1.27oz glue sticks and had to hunt up more glue to finish out the year.  So, I suspect this next year if we went the glue stick route again we'd need somewhere around 12-18 1.27oz glue sticks.

What I need is something that is easy for kids to use independently, quick drying, long lasting hold, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Does what I'm looking for exist?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesive-Double-Sided-0-45-Inch-0-45-Inch/dp/B00161SK04/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=9GAST4V0MHD1Q3938BDT

These are double-sided tape squares for photo mounting or scrapbooking. They are spendy, but not as much as the tape, especially considering they are portion-controlled.

We scored a pretty large box of them at Michaels with a 50% coupon.

The ones we purchased have a little tab on the non-stick paper that make it easy to expose the second side of the double-stick tape. Sorry, that sentence is as clear as mud. But, it helps for little hands in terms of getting the second sticker off of the back!

• Like 1

My DD goes quite crazy with the glue gun, and uses it for far more than just the occasional educational assignment. I plan on buying a freakin' case of glue sticks from Amazon for back to school, and possibly a new glue gun.

We use glue sticks for simple paper projects, pretty much our everyday glue.  Glue dots when I want quick drying or extra hold.  I used a bunch of glue dots to label my magazine holders and they are holding up well so far!  Eileen's tacky glue is my go-to when I need lots of hold and don't mind the extra dry time.  We use this for things like googly eyes or wood projects.  It dries clear which is another plus.

You sound like you only need one glue for the year.  We have a box of glue on the shelf, each with their own purpose.  I couldn't make it through the year with only one type of glue!  I don't think 12-18 glue sticks is unreasonable to buy for the year.  I make sure only one glue stick (per child) is in use at a time, otherwise they dry out.  

To keep the white Elmer's glue from being as messy, we often put a bit on a paper plate.  They apply it to their projects with a q-tip.  This cuts way down on the mess and excess glue.

I second trying permanent glue sticks before you move on to the glue dots and so forth. Cheaper and, honestly, I think they're easier. Glue dots make me a little batty. If you've been having trouble getting glue stick stuff to stay stuck then it's either not paper (glue sticks don't really work on anything but paper to paper), you're not using enough, or it's "school" glue sticks and they just aren't that sticky.

• Like 1

I second trying permanent glue sticks before you move on to the glue dots and so forth. Cheaper and, honestly, I think they're easier. Glue dots make me a little batty. If you've been having trouble getting glue stick stuff to stay stuck then it's either not paper (glue sticks don't really work on anything but paper to paper), you're not using enough, or it's "school" glue sticks and they just aren't that sticky.

It's just sticking paper to paper - copy paper, constructiin paper of various weights, cardstock, file folders, etc. I have tried to get the girls to use more glue which has contributed to the amount of glue we used last semester. We did use non-school glue sticks in the second half of the year because I wanted the biggest glue sticks I could find and some of dd's stuff still came unstuck (but maybe those were the ones she used less glue on?). About the only thing they requested is that they wanted the ones thatwent on purple so you could see where the glue was applied.

I'll check out the permanent glue sticks, non-school glue and see if that works better this fall before we try the glue sticks.

Thanks, everyone for all the suggestions! It's nice to have options.

It's just sticking paper to paper - copy paper, constructiin paper of various weights, cardstock, file folders, etc. I have tried to get the girls to use more glue which has contributed to the amount of glue we used last semester. We did use non-school glue sticks in the second half of the year because I wanted the biggest glue sticks I could find and some of dd's stuff still came unstuck (but maybe those were the ones she used less glue on?). About the only thing they requested is that they wanted the ones thatwent on purple so you could see where the glue was applied.

I'll check out the permanent glue sticks, non-school glue and see if that works better this fall before we try the glue sticks.

Thanks, everyone for all the suggestions! It's nice to have options.

The purple ones are the weakest glue in my experience.

• Like 1