Menu

Did you hear Sarah Palin mention "HOMESCHOOL MOMS" in interview tonight?

I disagree that Gov. Palin's silence did not equate with sanctioning the comments of the crowd. I strongly believe that Gov. Palin should have commented negatively against at least the "kill him" cry; it was a good opportunity to promote reason and working together to solve our nation's problems. Police have hauled citizens asking provocative questions out of buildings. Where were the police when the nut/s were yelling "kill him?" People have been forcibly removed from premises for accusing a candidate of lying and for far less offenses than yelling "kill him." Yet no one has stepped forward from the campaign to urge supporters to cease such outrageous behavior. To me, the potential damage of such hateful words cannot be ignored, and my heart aches for our nation.

You know, on a more general note, I see this happening so much just in our general society, not only on this particular issue.. people whip up crowds and then walk away from it, and after the fact say they aren't responsible for what happens. Is there no culpability at all? I know of many people who are targeted by bloggers, for example, who whip up all kinds of anger through insinuation and fiery rhetoric; then when the person targeted starts getting death threats, they guys who started the rhetoric say "well I'm not responsible!" Is there no culpability at all for whipping up such harsh sentiment against someone, even if you are not directly calling for action?

This is not a specific comment regarding Palin, I haven't seen what was mentioned here beyond the short clip of her saying Obama "palls around with terrorists", but I find it really frightening that people can and will say whatever it takes to get a strong reaction, then step back and deny any responsibility.

Okay people, this was intended to be just a post to inform you of something that I thought was a positive for home education. It was not a political post for a particular candidate, although I'll admit I like Palin.

I don't understand the wanting to be "under the radar" mentality, maybe someone can explain that to me. When my kids go off to find jobs, I just want them to be viewed in a positive light (not from "those strange families under the radar"). In the meantime I'll take all the government support I can get.

Edited by Alaska Mom

Reimbursement of home educational costs (non-religious)

Really? How does that work if they do not require some sort of registration/oversight for accountability to the taxpayers? I don't really see how one can be at the same time government supported *and* truly least regulated because of simple accountability.

If nothing else, I would think there has to be some way to determine which materials fall under religious and which under non-religious if they are going to make the distinction for reimbursement (as you indicate). Or is it that folks can choose to homeschool without reimbursement and not have to register (ie not be regulated) or choose to accept reimbursement in exchange for greater government control over options for materials, oversight by local school districts, public virtual charter or some such?

It's interesting to see the variety of ways in which homeschooling happens in various states.

Edited by KarenNC

I worry that since she mentioned it, homeschooling will be seen in a negative light now- the whole stereotype about it being a religious thing for ultra conservatives that want to shelter their kids.

It is interesting to me that you equate conservative homeschoolers who shelter their children with homeschooling being seen in a "negative light." I am a conservative homeschooler who chooses to shelter my children from things that I feel are inappropriate for their ages and I don't think that is a negative thing at all. I guess I fit the stereotype that you see as negative...but it feels pretty positive to me!

It is interesting to me that you equate conservative homeschoolers who shelter their children with homeschooling being seen in a "negative light." I am a conservative homeschooler who chooses to shelter my children from things that I feel are inappropriate for their ages and I don't think that is a negative thing at all. I guess I fit the stereotype that you see as negative...but it feels pretty positive to me!

I am talking about parents who choose children's friends, activities, hobbies, reading material, the way they dress and style themselves, etc. etc. etc FOR them based on very limited criteria. I'm not talking about parents making general decisions for their own kids.

I am talking about parents who choose children's friends, activities, hobbies, reading material, the way they dress and style themselves, etc. etc. etc FOR them based on very limited criteria. I'm not talking about parents making general decisions for their own kids.

If someone holds that stereotype, a passing comment from Sarah Palin is not going to change that (unless they like Sarah Palin, in which case, it might cause them to reconsider said stereotype...).

Sorry, most of us homeschooling moms choose to homeschool so we can "be" with our children. Where is that baby and her youngest daughter in all this? Who is holding them when they needs their mother's touch. Sorry, she is an opportunistic fake.

There are plenty of names I could think of to call Obama, but I don't. What is the point?

And I believe that her children are with their father. What's wrong with that? Do you think only mothers should get the opportunity to be a stay at home parent?

Sorry, most of us homeschooling moms choose to homeschool so we can "be" with our children. Where is that baby and her youngest daughter in all this? Who is holding them when they needs their mother's touch. Sorry, she is an opportunistic fake.

Has she said she is a homeschooling mom? You and I ARE homeschooling moms who choose to stay home to be with our kids. She is not pretending to be a hs mom...this logic makes no sense to me.

I'd rather hear about homeschooling than more government school. (preschool/headstart) I think we have enough levels of mandated schools, already. I'd rather them think of ways to delay formal school, and at least give a more home like environment. Otherwise, someday, for those with hospital births(like I did) I expect for them to whisk the child away, so as to not corrupt them with our worldview.

I, for one, don't think of homeschoolers as all "Christian" , but rather as families who prefer to make the decisions in regard to their children's educational influences.

And, as far as Alaska, if Palin does happen to be Vice President...I wouldn't mind having some of the $$$ in our state like Alaska does in their's...for homeschoolers!

Carrie:-)

Well, I for one like Sarah Palin, and I'm thrilled to death she mentioned homeschool moms in a positive light. It's about time we were recognized, and by a feminist at that! On another board I've been listening to vitriol about SAHMs being as much of a "burden on the tax system" as a mother who draws welfare and stays home with her children. It's refreshing to hear my occupation given kudos by someone on the national platform.

I'd rather hear about homeschooling than more government school. (preschool/headstart) I think we have enough levels of mandated schools, already. I'd rather them think of ways to delay formal school, and at least give a more home like environment. Otherwise, someday, for those with hospital births(like I did) I expect for them to whisk the child away, so as to not corrupt them with our worldview.

I, for one, don't think of homeschoolers as all "Christian" , but rather as families who prefer to make the decisions in regard to their children's educational influences.

And, as far as Alaska, if Palin does happen to be Vice President...I wouldn't mind having some of the $$$ in our state like Alaska does in their's...for homeschoolers!

Carrie:-)

I would hold off on wishing until you find out exactly what requesting such funds would entail. I cannot envision (and would not want to) a state with even any pretense of accountability for taxpayer funds simply handing out money without some measure of oversight, regulation, reporting requirements, etc for the way in which those funds are used.

If one accepts government funds, one must also then accept government rules and restrictions about how those funds may be used because one will then *be* a "government school" and accountable to the taxpayers for the use of public money. If the government is going to pay for curricula, they are going to mandate (at best) a list of approved curricula from which to pick and ways in which it can be used, far from parents being free to make the decisions in regard to their children's educational influences.

Government is much more known for standardization rather than individualization of anything in which it is involved. I find it hard to imagine that a situation involving government bureaucracy would be more creative and open to individual interpretation (or worldview) than one without it. One of the reasons that I chose to homeschool, frankly, was that I wasn't that impressed with the educational decisions that were already being made by the government in our area or the standardization of public schools. I'm not that anxious to have them start dictating which materials I can use or the ways in which I implement them because I think I can do a better job at this point ;).

Also, the vast majority of education decisions are made by each state, not the Federal government, so it's doubtful she would have any influence on that in your particular state if she were elected.

Edited by KarenNC

I think Governor Palin is very good at speaking to her intended audience, which is what I think this was.

As is Obama....Coal (one stance in SW Va. and another in other parts of the country) comes to mind, as does one talk in Pittsburgh to blue collar workers and another in San Francisco about those blue collar workers....

I'm not a fan of hers but I am not going to judge her for pursuing this when she has young children, especially when we don't judge men by that standard.

I would be hard pressed to DISAGREE with you more. Michelle Obama is about the most phony woman in politics I've ever seen. She makes my skin crawl. To think she'll probably be the first lady when she's so anti-Amierican is just wrong.

BTW, I'm just stating my opinion while we're still the Land of the Free. I'm not in the mood to debate it.

So being "American" means to never question anything our government says or does, even though we might see it as illegal or immoral? I think that Thomas Jefferson and our other founding fathers would disagree.

So being "American" means to never question anything our government says or does, even though we might see it as illegal or immoral? I think that Thomas Jefferson and our other founding fathers would disagree.

I'm not seeing where farmgirl said that. She doesn't like Michelle Obama. That doesn't mean farmgirl blindly accepts everything the government says or does.

I'm not seeing where farmgirl said that. She doesn't like Michelle Obama. That doesn't mean farmgirl blindly accepts everything the government says or does.

I see a difference in saying you don't like someone and calling them "so anti-american". I didn't accuse farmgirl of accepting everything the government says or does. I was wondering why she called Mrs. Obama the name she did.

I for one would rather Palin be as distanced from homeschooling as possible. The type of person she is, with her politics and obvious lack of credentials and knowledge is exactly the type of image I would hate to have associated with me as a homeschooler.

I've posted two articles tonight, from the news, not from blogs, as so many do, but from real news sources, with links--one showing that Palin didn't even know about the energy sources in her own state, while she is touted as being such an expert, the other showing that, while the commission is about to release its report tomorrow, she is releasing her own, about her misconduct tonight--and guess what? She has cleared herself!!! Big shock I have been attacked for no other reason than being the OP on both of those articles. So, I've decided to put in my honest opinion here. If I'm going to be attacked, it might as well be for a good reason.

Edited by Mom to Aly

I have read the entire thread (honest, I have!). At first I was like, "what's the big deal? I like it that she mentioned that I work harder than any other Mom:D" But, now I see what others are saying. I homeschool for a lot of different reasons that are none of the Government's business. I want them to ignore me. We're not broken, and I don't want to be "fixed." Everytime I read an article, or see something on the news about Homeschoolers, it NEVER comes across right. So, I think she should leave us out of her campaign.

One last thought, a friend and I were just talking about "issues" today. We're registered to different parties, and for the first time, we're both "undecided." We both agreed that education is not our "issue." The reason why? Because, no matter what the government does, I will decide whether to follow or not. They can't have my kids (OK, maybe sometimes they could have them, but they'd have to catch me on the right day:tongue_smilie:) Besides, NO ONE is doing ANYTHING about education in the next 4 years. There are too many other problems to fix.

I for one would rather Palin be as distanced from homeschooling as possible. The type of person she is, with her politics and obvious lack of credentials and knowledge is exactly the type of image I would hate to have associated with me as a homeschooler.

I've posted two articles tonight, from the news, not from blogs, as so many do, but from real news sources, with links--one showing that Palin didn't even know about the energy sources in her own state, while she is touted as being such an expert, the other showing that, while the commission is about to release its report tomorrow, she is releasing her own, about her misconduct tonight--and guess what? She has cleared herself!!! Big shock I have been attacked for no other reason than being the OP on both of those articles. So, I've decided to put in my honest opinion here. If I'm going to be attacked, it might as well be for a good reason.

I guess it's just follow the leader. McCain and Palin have set the tone with these types of attacks, and the followers just follow. It's their "family values" ya know. It's all about "character". This is certainly not the kind of leadership I want.

I was talking to a friend about this last night, and he was saying that a lot of women are probably afraid to admit Palin is not qualified because of the religious/conservative angle. Like somehow not supporting her would be not supporting those "family values". I was watching Anderson Cooper last night and he had on a group of women that were Palin supporters. They talked about being able to invite her in and have snacks with her and her being a "pit bull in lipstick".