Menu

Inspirational homeschool books

I have been looking at some great samples of inspirational homeschool books, but none that really fit my stage of life. I am a Christian homeschooler of one middle school girl. My eldest just graduated. I don't want to read books about how to schedule multiple children or how to handle toddlers. I don't want to change my methodology, but I do want something that is motivational. Any ideas?

• Like 1

Anything Sally Clarkson. Or Teaching from Rest, but that might not be as applicable.

Sally Clarkson's books are definitely intriguing. I'm trying to decide on which one to read first. There doesn't seem to be any homeschool based books though.

I like the concept of Teaching from Rest, but the book seems largely aimed to parents with younger children or multiple children. I would love something like this that was written toward mom's of older kids. How do you teach from Rest when you're looking toward high school or college?

Sally Clarkson's books are definitely intriguing. I'm trying to decide on which one to read first. There doesn't seem to be any homeschool based books though.

I like the concept of Teaching from Rest, but the book seems largely aimed to parents with younger children or multiple children. I would love something like this that was written toward mom's of older kids. How do you teach from Rest when you're looking toward high school or college?

She and her husband Clay co-wrote Educating the Whole Hearted Child. It's like my homeschool Bible :) Definitely inspiring and worth the money. And while it talks a lot about family in general, it's very homeschool focused.

• Like 1

I Saw the Angel in the Marble by Chris and Ellyn Davis. It is a collection of essays from the (now extinct) Elijah Company catalogs.

Also, For The Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.

Ooh! I've never heard of that first one. Off to order it to try out! :)

The Liberal Arts Tradition

For one of Sally's books I would try to find one like an overview. Seasons of Motherhood is good, Desperate is geared toward moms of smaller kids, I've heard Own Your Life is good too and The Lifegiving Home (own both of those but haven't read them yet!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Homeschooling for Excellence, by David and Micki Colfax.

This is the one I was going to suggest. Also, Educating the Whole-hearted Child by Sally Clarkson.

Thank you, everyone! Now I have to figure out which one to choose. I just started Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson. I already feel very touched by her words.

I am still looking for a more homeschool based book. I'm going to check out everyone's suggestions. Targhee, I've never read The Abolition of Man. I'd love to hear why it's your favorite homeschooling book.

Thank you, everyone! Now I have to figure out which one to choose. I just started Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson. I already feel very touched by her words.

I am still looking for a more homeschool based book. I'm going to check out everyone's suggestions. Targhee, I've never read The Abolition of Man. I'd love to hear why it's your favorite homeschooling book.

It is a compilation of a short lecture series Lewis gave on objective truth vs relativism. He begins with a British English text for secondary students, called by him the Green Book, and what it teaches about both English language and about absolute truth (or lack thereof), and shoots this out of the water by explaining The Tao (not solely the Chinese concept of Tao, but he uses this word as an umbrella for objective truth as described in all cultures). His clarity, his examples, his explanation in accessible similes, neatly, thoroughly, and compellingly drive home his thesis: without objective truth we can make no value judgements whatsoever. "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."

The reason this is a homeschooling book, for me, is that The Green Book is taught in public school - by suggesting that what you *feel* is the basis for living 'true to yourself.' Lewis contends, as does the classical tradition, that the aim of education is teach the student to discern the true, good, beautiful - the Tao - so that they will have the 'chest' to act in accordance with it.

• Like 3

Homeschooling for Excellence, by David and Micki Colfax.

This is the one I was going to suggest. Also, Educating the Whole-hearted Child by Sally Clarkson. 

This is what I was going to recommend as well! Also, I loved Rafe Esquith's books (he has at least 3 out and some online stuff) which are classroom based but still inspirational as a teacher. 

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...