Menu

Does Great Clips dye hair? Blue?

Renthead Mommy

My son wants to dye his hair blue on top and I don't have time to do it over the next few days and truthfully it's been a really long time since I have dyed hair, especially something like that where you have to blonde it out first.   Does Great Clips do dye jobs?  Especially colors like blue? 

Normally I wouldn't go somewhere like that for something as big as a dye job, but I don't have a hairdresser here and he wants to get it done before we go on vacation.  Plus, it is boy hair, so it is only a few inches long and only needing it for a month or two before it needs to be trimmed off.  But being so short on time, I figured I may be able to get an appointment at one of those. (They take appointments don't they?)

He should be aware that depending on his hair color, it may take several hours. If his natural hair is dark, the color will need to be lifted, perhaps several times. Hair color is graded from 1 to 10 and the bleaching process usually can only lift 3 shades at a time. So if he's a 3 (dark), it will take two processes to get him to 10 so he can then color his hair blue. If he doesn't lift the color light enough, funky colors can result. With blue, the hair often turns an ugly shade of green because too much yellow or orange remains in the shaft. 

ETA: At my salon, the stylist said the business doesn't like doing bright colors because it takes so long and is so expensive. They also don't carry more extreme shades; they must be special ordered if a client really wants the color. 

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 1

We're going to be doing my dd's hair blue again, at home.  I intended to take her to my hair guy, but she got the box as a gift from a friend, so it is what it is.

With short hair, I'm sure it's much easier to do at home, but still quite a pain.  That stuff can get *everywhere*.

The last time we did it, we didn't bleach her hair b/c it made my insides feel icky to think about bleaching a 12yos hair.  This time we will, because my stylist tells me the color will bleed less if the hair shaft is "opened up" or whatever from the bleaching process.  Her pillowcases were destroyed last time. I'm not expecting them to go unscathed this time around, but I'm hoping for less damage over a shorter period of time.

We're going to be doing my dd's hair blue again, at home. I intended to take her to my hair guy, but she got the box as a gift from a friend, so it is what it is.

With short hair, I'm sure it's much easier to do at home, but still quite a pain. That stuff can get *everywhere*.

The last time we did it, we didn't bleach her hair b/c it made my insides feel icky to think about bleaching a 12yos hair. This time we will, because my stylist tells me the color will bleed less if the hair shaft is "opened up" or whatever from the bleaching process. Her pillowcases were destroyed last time. I'm not expecting them to go unscathed this time around, but I'm hoping for less damage over a shorter period of time.

Just curious: how is bleaching a 12yos hair icky but dyeing it blue is not?

When my son wanted to dye his hair blue, we used a kit we bought from a local beauty supply store. It was a two part process. Bleach and then apply color. The staff at the store advised us on our purchase. I don't recall any staining of pillow cases.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/wild-haircolor/SBS-140380,default,pd.html

In reality, it's not much different.  In my gut, it is, which is why I chose the word "icky" (and specified MY insides) instead of something more concrete like "bad" or "inappropriate" in a blanket statement.  :p

For my silly gut, there's a difference between laying color on top of hair and stripping hair of color and protective coating.  And fewer fumes to breathe, too.  But we're going to do it anyway this time.

I know she already answered your question, but I have friends with the same rule.  Especially for those with kids in private schools that have strict dress codes that include hair color. 

One idea is that you can use color remover to get rid of most of the color when the hair is growing out.  Especially with short hair, you can cut the hair and remove the remaining dye and have a relatively normal looking head of hair for back to school in the fall.  If it is longer hair, then they dye the hair one shade darker than normal to hide any remaining color.  That way grow out isn't horrible. 

Once it is bleached, If you use color remover (hair is more damaged) and then you have to dye back over the top of it, to a much darker than normal color.  The person gets stuck in a loop of partially dyed hair with odd looking grow out.