Menu

Disney peeps

hornblower

Would Disney (in California) be fun for someone

- who gets motion sick and can't go on big spinny/fast drop rides; but can do things like water slides & little log splash rides at normal amusement parks

- is an adult 

- would be going with only adults 

- all of them would be first timers? 

• Like 1

There are things to do, other than the "good" rides -- like shows, experiences (ie meet a character, go to a theme restaurant), and "kids" rides. A few rides are pretty good, without being too wild, but not that many.

In short, I'm not sure it would be worth it unless you've got a major discount, or you really like the group, or you really like the "Disney-ness" -- or you have some other good reason to go.

Some adults will be all: "Come on, just try it! Don't be a party pooper!" -- Which will be really unpleasant, unless you are good with that kind of interaction. I'm not. I either get firm (super party pooper!) or sacrifice my own comfort to try to be a good sport. No fun socially if people insist on being like that.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I have not been in Disneyland in many years.  However, at the end of April 2016, we spent 1 day in the 2 parks in Universal Orlando (should have been 2 days), and 4 days in the 4 parks in Walt Disney World (should have been 3 days) and one day in Kennedy Space Center.  If the cost of tickets/food, etc. in Disneyland is like that of WDW, and I suspect that is the case, it's a lot of money and much of that money goes to build, maintain and operate the major attractions, which generally are coasters.  The first attraction in Universal Orlando that was on the list my DD had made was   the "Dragon Challenge".  My wife and I had *no* idea what it was. My wife has Vertigo and she thought she was going to die. She told us that she closed her eyes. This is a video showing "Dragon Challenge":

There will probably be rides for very young children that your group of adults would enjoy, but if you were on the East Coast, and, if you are "into" Harry Potter, I think you would enjoy Universal Orlando much more, without going on any coasters.    

There are so many things to see, if you are in Southern California. I was born and raised there and really liked to go to San Diego (which I saw on the evening news program I watch tonight) and I wonder if your group would be happier going to attractions there, and not to a Major Theme Park, where the attractions are the big coasters.

Note: To the credit of my wife, she did go with us on at least one other coaster, the next day, although the day we rode the "Dragon Challenge" she told us that she would never go on a ride like that again.

Spend your time and money wisely and enjoy whatever you decide to do.  

• Like 1

OP the attractions that are tough are clearly marked, with a description of what is involved. Many of them have warnings that expectant mothers, people with heart conditions, people who suffer from motion sickness, people with neck problems, etc., shouldn't go on them. The previous time we'd been in  WDW my wife was pregnant and she did a lot of waiting, because she was pregnant. I'm old, but I thought to myself, "if those little kids can go on that, I can do it too"

Spend your time and money wisely and enjoy whatever you decide to do.  

OMG Lanny, that video!  :ack2:

Yeah, it just keeps coming as a 'thing', you know? Seems like everyone has been Disney but otoh, there are thousands of other places I haven't been & I think since you can't get me into our fairs & theme parks, it seems silly to fly to one. Though I kind of think I'd like to go hug all the characters.  :laugh:

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

I love Disney and have been to WDW several times as an adult.  However, in your case, I would say that I doubt it would be much fun unless one of the other adults is a big Disney fan that knows how to dodge the crowds and hit just the attractions that you would enjoy. 

• Like 2

OP   Before you get in any lines for major attractions, where there is a long wait, it is prudent to use the restroom.  Sometimes, there is a line for "Single Riders" and it is much better for your group to split up, when you actually go on the attraction. DD and I went to one attraction where the wait was approximately 45 or 50 minutes, but for "Single Riders", it was only 5 or 10 minutes. When we were ready to board, the person told us she had to split us up, I told her "fine, split us up", so we rode in separate cars, but we saved a lot of waiting time. 

• Like 1

Rides - you could go on Pirates, Small World, Canal Boats, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Monorail, walk through Sleeping Beauty  Castle (has dioramas from the film), enjoy parades, fireworks, and shows.  Do not know how you'd do on any of the Fantasyland "dark" rides lile Peter Pan or Snow White - there may be some jerky turns in the ride that could make you queasy.  The parks are gorgeous to walk through - get a parkhopper and spend time in California Adventure, which is themed as you enter to 1920s California when Walt first arrived.  I like to check time/locales for the live entertainment that happens throughout the day there ( Five and Dime is a fun must-see!)

My hubby can't take rides that go around and around - even with Dramamine. He made the mistake of going on a kiddie ride that was circular at Great America one year and spent the rest of the day curled up on his side on a bench in the shade as I took the kids on rides.  We kept checking on him, but he stayed queasy all day.  Once we found him with a large cup of ice - he had looked so sadly pathetic that a woman had brought it to him!  So I get it when you say you can not go on most rides!

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

I am an adult. I don't do roller coasters or anything that spins and I enjoy Disney. I will happily sit on a bench and watch everyone else's bags as they go on the rides I won't go on and my friends will join me on the kiddie rides.

• Like 1

I am an adult. I don't do roller coasters or anything that spins and I enjoy Disney. I will happily sit on a bench and watch everyone else's bags as they go on the rides I won't go on and my friends will join me on the kiddie rides.

And odds are while they are in line for the ride you will see some characters go by, or a spontaneous (well, it is scheduled) performance by Bert and Mary Poppins or the Dapper Dans may come burst into song - you never know.

• Like 2

I am not a huge coaster fan, but I will do Disney coasters.  They are different.  Teacups I haven't done in a while because I get sick, esp. if DH is spinning them!  But everything else I really enjoy.

I love California Screamin' 

But some people won't do any coasters, and that is fine, there is plenty to do in DL.

• Like 1

Gosh hard question.  I get so sick on rides, always have since a kid.  

I have been to DL 2 times in the last year, but that was with kids and for kids.   Is it fun?  Sure it is.  Honestly though I think Legoland is a lot lot better.  But I digress.  I don't think that is where I would choose to go as an adult that gets motion sickness.  

• Like 1

I'm a Disney-nut. So take what I say with that in mind.

Disney is NOT like Six Flags or your local amusement park. The difference between an amusement park and a theme park plays out in so many ways. Disney can be awesome without going on any rides IF you're a person who loves the attention to detail that Disney puts into their park presentation . If that stuff does nothing for you and you have no nostalgia for Disney... it's STILL different than an amusement park or fair. But might not be the place for you.

When I go to my local amusement park with my kids I ride almost NOTHING. EVerything is spinny and I don't love Coasters...I get motion sick and struggle with heights. At Disney, I skip the Tea Cups and the DCA coasters, that's it between the Six US parks.

First: Disney has almost no "Spinning" rides.  Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, and Mad Tea Party -- that's IT at Disneyland proper (and the Carousel obviously)  and AO and Dumbo are slow spins not dizzy spins.

For coasters -- only California Screamin' (in California Adventure/DCA)  is a thrill-seekers coaster (only inversion on Disney property in California). Goofy's Sky School is a Wild Chipmunk (or in Disney parlance a Wild Mouse).

So in Disneyland proper (DLR) you have Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Matterhorn ,,, The cool thing about Disney coasters is that the themeing is immersive -- you don't ever see that you're high (exception the DCA coasters and Everest at Animal Kingdom)  Matterhorn is kind of jerky back and forth but it's an old school steel rollercoaster (the Oldest actually ;) ) and not  a super rough ride.

Big Thunder is SPEEDY but the themeing is distracting  and the ride is pretty smooth. It's a jumped up kiddie coaster. (And one of my all time favorite rides.) Space Mountain is the roughest and most thrilling of the DLR coasters and with the current Star Wars overlay pretty DANGED AWESOME. And Gadget's Go Coaster is a kiddie coaster. That's all the Coasters.

And then there's EVERYTHING ELSE -- I'm going to walk you through the park. I won't re-cover the spinners or coasters.But there is A LOT to do!

Main Street USA - beautifully themed Turn of the Century Main Street - Mostly shops but some fun vehicles (double decker bus, firetruck) that you can ride and some good 'streetmosphere shows' (Dapper Dans - barbershop quartet.

Tomorrowland - Star Tours (simulator -- hardest after Star Tours for motion sickness), Autopia (miniature cars on a track, kiddie ride), Monorail (train ride between the parks, unique and great views), Buzz Lightyear (slow moving, interactive -you shoot aliens -, black light ride ALWAYS fun), Finding Nemo Subs (Submarine themed ride, slow moving, slow loading, clausterphobic... and a new Nemo movie this summer is going to make it even more popular -- if you love Nemo ride this EARLY)

Fantasyland -  Small World (Slow Moving boat ride, adorable animatronic dolls), Mr Toads Wild Ride,Pinocchio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland (Slow moving dark rides through the familiar stories -- you're in a small vehicle on a track), Peter Pan's flight (another dark ride but on this one your ride vehicle is suspended from the ceiling), Storybookland Canal Boats (slow moving boat ride through miniature scenes from Classic Disney), Carrousel, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthru

Frontierland: Riverboat (closed for star wars refurbishment -- not running on the river but landed and has a character meet and greet and a live band), Shootin' Exposition (Shooting Gallery)

Adventureland - Indiana Jones Adventure (This is a sick maker for someone with motion sickness, it's really a cool ride but you get tossed all over the place and fast), Jungle Cruise (slow moving boat ride), Enchanted Tiki Room (animatronic musical bird show and one of my favorite places in the world), Tarzan's Treehouse (walkthru)

New Orleans Square - Haunted Mansion (slow moving dark ride SOOOOO GOOD), Pirates of the Caribbean (Slow moving boat ride with two very minor drops -- SOOOO Good!)

Critter Country -- Winnie The Pooh (slow moving Dark Ride), Splash Mountain (flume ride -- with awesome animatronics!)

Toontown -- Roger Rabbit (Slow moving but a little spinny dark ride), Mickey and Minnie's Houses etc (themed character greet areas)

Plus parades (one in the afternoon, one in the evening), fireworks, live acts, live theatrical shows,

At California Adventure -- I won't go through the whole park -- Radiator Springs Racers is FAST and FUN... it doesn't make me sick. Toy STory Mania is very popular but it DOES make me sick -- I can't be in a moving ride vehicle wearing 3D glasses. Soarin' ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror -- it's a tower drop ride but the SHOW part is pretty freakin' GREAT.

What else can I help with?

(IF you're a Harry Potter fan - the Harry Potter stuff at Universal Hollywood just opened.)

• Like 4

Well I hope you found it helpful or amusing or something.... I realized at some point that I had gone overboard in answering your question  but I had already typed a Lot. SOOOO In for a penny, in for a pound...

:D

I'm a bit obsessive. Especially for someone who lives 1000 miles from EITHER DLR or WDW.

• Like 1