Menu

TMI: low carbers, do you ever struggle with inadequate BMs?

pinkmint

I like being low carb. It has helped me lose weight and improve health but I dont like almost never having that "cleaned out" bathroom experience. Every bowel movement it seems like my body is letting go of the bare minimum.

Anyone else dealt with this and how do you remedy it?

I eat as many vegetables as I can and probably too many berries but I'm still really struggling.

I am low carb because I bloat badly on carbs. I have problems with low breast milk supply as does my mom who is also low carb. No problem with bowel movement because mom and I have an overreactive digestive system. Too many things have a laxative effect on us.

Have you tried yogurt or banana? That helps my boy who gets constipated easily. My other boy is like me.

I am low carb because I bloat badly on carbs. I have problems with low breast milk supply as does my mom who is also low carb. No problem with bowel movement because mom and I have an overreactive digestive system. Too many things have a laxative effect on us.

Have you tried yogurt or banana? That helps my boy who gets constipated easily. My other boy is like me.

Bananas and most yogurts are high in carbs. :)

Have you tried magnesium? And are you drinking enough water?

Yup, magnesium - magnesium oxide will help with BMs but magnesium glycinate/chelated is better absorbed. 

I use Vitamin C for overall health - 250 mg or more/day.  I buy a vitamin c powder (1000mg -1/8 tsp scoop) and mix into a pitcher of cold herbal tea (raspberry - yum) with 8 drops of stevia for a summer drink for my family.

Also try Triphala after dinner; it will help the morning BM - I take one pill on occasion. 

Or if you need more fiber, try chia seeds in coconut milk or smoothie - just make sure to drink more water than usual.

I've had that problem.  Although to be fair, low-carb just made the problem worse.  I suspect my gut bacteria has never been in the greatest of shape.  

I have RLS that I take powdered potassium and magnesium for.  I noticed that if I am more generous with the magnesium, it helps.   

I am also pretty religious about taking probiotics.  

Irregularly, take chewable fiber.  

I have this problem. 

It is better for me to eat a small amount of carbs each day. Without them my system becomes sluggish, no matter how much fiber I am eating. I have done the Whole 30 six or seven times now and every time I am finished with it I am so "relieved", pardon the pun. 

Pink, I eat beans or lentils every day at lunch. They are inexpensive, yummy, and add just enough carbs to my diet to keep things moving. 

I have this problem.

It is better for me to eat a small amount of carbs each day. Without them my system becomes sluggish, no matter how much fiber I am eating. I have done the Whole 30 six or seven times now and every time I am finished with it I am so "relieved", pardon the pun.

Pink, I eat beans or lentils every day at lunch. They are inexpensive, yummy, and add just enough carbs to my diet to keep things moving.

I might just go ahead and try the beans and see how it goes.

I'm popping psyllium fiber pills, magnesium, probiotic and green veg and its still so difficult. My weight has started to go the wrong direction too and I wonder if it's the lack of regularity.

I do like beans. I'll see if I can eat them without gaining weight.

I might just go ahead and try the beans and see how it goes.

I'm popping psyllium fiber pills, magnesium, probiotic and green veg and its still so difficult. My weight has started to go the wrong direction too and I wonder if it's the lack of regularity.

I do like beans. I'll see if I can eat them without gaining weight.

Oh geesh yeah.  I'd do the same.