Menu

naturpath question

ktgrok

Everyone I know who has gone to one has been told they have adrena fatigue and/or candida overgrowth. I recently read an article (rant) saying the same thing, and now I'm wondering. Has anyone ever been to one and NOT been given one of those two diagnoses?

Dang, that's strange. My grandma sees one sometimes and she went on a strict diet one time for candida overgrowth. But given her sweet tooth it seemed plausible. I think my dad goes to the woman sometimes as well, but I don't know if he ever got diagnosed with either. He doesn't eat that many sweets and I don't know if he's drank anything other than alkaline water in years.

My family of six has only seen naturopaths (our children have never seen MDs) over the past 12 years (various ones due to the NDs moving, us moving, being open to see any of the NDs within the various practices... I'd guess we've seen 12-14 NDs in all)... and none of the six of us has ever received either of those diagnoses.

• Like 3

I've been taking dudeling to one for several years.  he's never even been checked for either of those.

I now see one - neither of them ever came up in discussion.  (I've self treated for candida in the past - it's really quite easy.  after major antibiotic use (because antibiotics kill all the good bacteria in your gut too which allows yeast to flourish), or experiencing major sugar cravings - it's time to do a candida cleanse. I  feel much better afterwards - and the sugar cravings go away.)

I did get my free t3 and t4 checked (which my allopath flat out refused to do).  I am getting dosed on rx for thyroid with the goal of alleviating all my thyroid symptoms and getting my thyroid numbers to optimal.  (which again - my allopath would NOT do.  I was still symptomatic and  she refused to increase my rx.)

my dd currently has lab work out for adrenal fatigue  (given what stress can do to adrenals, the ND wants to rule it out) - but that is actual lab work with quantifiable numbers.

eta: clarity

Edited by gardenmom5

I have been seeing a naturopath (2 different doctors) since 2007 and have never been diagnosed with these. What is really important IMHO (if you are looking for one) is to find out if you connect with the doctor and are on the same philosophical page. Also, I would not see anyone who did not go to medical school and does not have an accredited ND behind their name.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

Adrenal fatigue is usually a secondary diagnosis.  In other words, something has to be depleting the adrenal glands in order for you to get adrenal fatigue in the first place.  (Most of the time.  There are some illness that attack the adrenals directly but those are less common. )  So it isn't necessarily a weird thing for someone facing other chronic problems (which are the most common reason for someone to go to a naturopathic physician to begin with) to also have a diagnosis of adrenal fatigue.  I have been diagnosed with it and then the doctor worked hard to address the primary problems. 

I've seen one for years as my PCP. Candida overgrowth has never come up. Neither has homeopathy. Adrenal fatigue did come up but given my exceptionally stressful background, it had already come up before I started seeing her.

Things I have seen her for:

-depression and anxiety

-routine physicals and occasionally pelvic exams.

-a sick visit for a virus/cold I couldn't shake

-nutrition/healthy living

In my state, insurance covers naturopathic doctors if they have the required degree. Most have an undergraduate degree in biology or another science and then attended 4 years at a local naturopathic medical school. They have limited prescriptive authority for conventional medications as well- mine can prescribe most forms of antidepressants and also antibiotics and meds in the same classes as those. She will often give a choice between trying a supplement or herbal remedy and a standard prescription. For instance, she gave my husband a tincture to try and a script for antibiotics to fill if he felt like the tincture wasn't helping or his symptoms worsened. I don't think he had to fill the antibiotic.

Edited by LucyStoner

Not all of my ND experiences have been as good though. I took my older son with ASD to see an ND and without any testing or a physical exam he told me to remove all dairy and wheat from his diet and that would help the ASD related behaviors. 1. Show me the evidence. 2. Starving him can't be good for him and at the time yogurt and cheese constituted a large part of his daily caloric intake. 3. He seemed flummoxed when I explained that my son ate so few foods that I wasn't removing any of this standby faves without hard evidence. Seriously, you have no business advertising that you focus on patients with ASD if you don't understand severe food aversions due to severe sensory issues.

Not all of my ND experiences have been as good though. I took my older son with ASD to see an ND and without any testing or a physical exam he told me to remove all dairy and wheat from his diet and that would help the ASD related behaviors. 1. Show me the evidence. 2. Starving him can't be good for him and at the time yogurt and cheese constituted a large part of his daily caloric intake. 3. He seemed flummoxed when I explained that my son ate so few foods that I wasn't removing any of this standby faves without hard evidence. Seriously, you have no business advertising that you focus on patients with ASD if you don't understand severe food aversions due to severe sensory issues.

I pm'd you with the contact information for an incredible pediatric ND who specializes in non-nt kids.  with phenomenal results.

My family of six has only seen naturopaths (our children have never seen MDs) over the past 12 years (various ones due to the NDs moving, us moving, being open to see any of the NDs within the various practices... I'd guess we've seen 12-14 NDs in all)... and none of the six of us has ever received either of those diagnoses.

That makes me feel better!

• Like 1

Thank you all! I didn't quote everyone, but this was encouraging! Maybe I just know stressed out, yeasty people, lol! Or maybe the ND's around here aren't as good, also a possibility. Or heck, they might all be seeing the same one. 

Everyone I know who has gone to one has been told they have adrena fatigue and/or candida overgrowth. I recently read an article (rant) saying the same thing, and now I'm wondering. Has anyone ever been to one and NOT been given one of those two diagnoses?

Yes, I have, and no, I have not been told I have those issues.  I've done testing whenever something was at issue, so I know this is fine, anyway. 

I've really had a lot of help from alternative medical people.   Unless it is something like a surgery to cut something off or out that needs to go, or an antibiotic to kill an infection, in which case, of course, you need a regular doc or surgeon,  the most help I have ever had has been in the alternative realm, actually. 

• Like 1

I was not diagnosed with one of those problems. It's probably worth mentioning that I am in a state in which NDs are licensed. My impression is that in many states it is possible to buy a ND degree from a degree mill, hang out a shingle, and start giving people terrible advice.  :glare:  

• Like 1

I was not diagnosed with one of those problems. It's probably worth mentioning that I am in a state in which NDs are licensed. My impression is that in many states it is possible to buy a ND degree from a degree mill, hang out a shingle, and start giving people terrible advice.  :glare:  

this.

naturopaths are only legally recognized in 17 states, and it does change things. legislation to grant recognition is pending in an additional ?10? states.

there are four accredited naturopathic medical schools in the US (another one in process of getting accreditation.  two more in Canada.) 

if they did an online program -it is NOT accredited, and they cannot get a license.  (but that doesn't mean someone who got theirs from some online program isn't in a state that doesn't license.)

Washington has the oldest naturopathic medical school in north america - bastyr  I attended a concert there that was held in the chapel.  (dr. bastyr practiced medicine in seattle in the early 20th century.  incidentally - he was catholic), it was accredited in1987.  (it also has a campus in san diego.)

Edited by gardenmom5