Menu

Would you delay delivery to fix old machine and donate?

Janeway

I was finally able to convince Samsung to come out and fix the washer. I found out it was a known defect with all the machines. I had to fight a lot, so this is not "Samsung is being good." My husband is fed up and said we just needed to order new anyway. So we ordered a Kenmore and it is supposed to be here on Wednesday. However, the repair people for the Samsung should be here same day. I am thinking of delaying the delivery of the new machines so that I can have the Samsung fixed anyway and donate to charity.  http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WA422PRHDWR-White-Load-Washer/product-reviews/B0084IY1ZU

Based on these reviews, would you still fix it and donate, which would also mean delaying delivery of the new machine? Or would you just have the delivery people toss it? 

I would have it fixed and keep using it.  Put the money aside for an emergency replacement set in the future.  Why not get all the benefit you can out of the existing set?

Otherwise, I would still get it fixed and sell it on Craigslist.

After that, yeah, I guess donate it? 

• Like 6

I would have it fixed and keep using it.  Put the money aside for an emergency replacement set in the future.  Why not get all the benefit you can out of the existing set?

Otherwise, I would still get it fixed and sell it on Craigslist.

After that, yeah, I guess donate it? 

My husband decided. I would have gone for fixing it and continue using it. But the dryer is barely working now so needs to be replaced anyway. The dryer is about 20 years old, so it has had a good life. And my husband is more than fed up with Samsung. He has some OCD and anxiety issues and wants the Samsung gone. However, it did cross my mind that if the washer gets fixed and works great and he has a few days to use it, he might want to just cancel the new washer. But I suspect he is looking forward to having a matching set again.

A 20 year old washer?  I'm not sure I would have bothered to follow up to get the repair and I'm not sure I'd donate it either.  Something that old is not bound to last long. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it at 20 years old.  But for a 1 day delivery delay and you're getting a new one anyway, I might try to find someone to donate it to if you can.

• Like 1

Yup. I would reschedule delivery on the new one out a day and get the Samsung fixed if they can. Then donate it to Goodwill or whoever takes those things because someone might get some use from it.

Or offer it free on Craigslist if they pick it up. Or free cycle.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 1

Find someone to give it to before you decide. You might discover as I did that no charity will take an appliance over 7 years old. I ended up having to pay to have mine hauled off when Lowe's would have taken it away free when they delivered the new.

• Like 2

I would delay the new one by a day if you can and have the Samsung repaired. Instead of donating (with the chances of it breaking on someone with no idea of it's history), I would put it on Craigslist or a swap page for a small amount, so you have a chance of explaining it to others and let them take their chances if they choose to do so. 

I am in a similar position with mine, it's a piece of junk but works at the moment. I'd like to replace soon so I can stop getting angry every time I look at it, but will let someone know it hasn't been the best machine before they buy.