Menu

Dog Advice Again: Deafness -- UPDATE in Post 122

SeaConquest

Most people with hearing loss have SOME hearing and are rarely DEAF.  Generally they will hear lower pitches (think a tuba) even if they don't hear higher pitches such as birds.  SpyCar, if a dog is like a person and they have any hearing loss at all I can't imagine they would hear a dog whistle since they are so high pitched.  But again, I am NOT a dog audiologist :)

I'm sure you are better informed than I am.

People can hear dog whistles. I no longer have the ability to hear the high frequencies I could in my youth. But the dog whistle (they are actually adjustable, you set them to the frequency your dog reacts to) is in my hearing range. My understanding is dogs range is much higher than humans, and particularly acute in the range of the dog whistles.

So as a cheap-test, if a dog did not react to other stimuli and it (particularly) did not react to the range of tones a tune-able dog whistle could produce, I think I'd be satisfied the dog was deaf. If there was a dog audiologist and a test that could measure hearing capacity that was available and reasonably affordable, all the better. 

I like the input of medical experts.

Bill

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little stumped that the breeder never realized the puppy was deaf in the 5 months she had him.  Did she really know he was deaf all along and hoped you wouldn't notice or would fall in love with him first and just agree to keep him and carry on?  

I have the same thoughts. Seems fishy.

Bill

I am a little stumped that the breeder never realized the puppy was deaf in the 5 months she had him. Did she really know he was deaf all along and hoped you wouldn't notice or would fall in love with him first and just agree to keep him and carry on?

I agree. I didn't sign up to be in this position, and certainly not with the $$$$ we paid.

I think if there was an understanding that the refund would be used to help cover the costs of medical insurance, training, equipment, etc. that it would be more than justified.

In no measure is a dog with congenital defects "worth" top-dollar no matter how cute the pup might be. You'd be taking on a project, and perhaps a rewarding one. But $$$$ as a purchase fee? No way.

I'd be hard on this point. 

Bill

• Like 3

Yeah..either she knew the dog was deaf, OR, she had almost zero interaction with the dog and didn't socialize it at all. Neither is a good sign of an ethical breeder. 

My impression is that she had two litters within a week of each other, and was likely overwhelmed (she is a widow). She said that the timing was unusual because she jumped at the chance to get one of the sires' semen while one of her bitches was in heat. So, it sounds like a bunch of puppies happened at once, and there were some issue's with Cody's mother. She had oversupply and was getting mastitis.

She would call the dogs outside in a group, and Cody likely just clued into what the others were doing. It also sounds like she also played with them in a group vs. individually. I met Cody's sire, and he was amazing -- beautiful, friendly, the entire package -- and Cody seems well socialized. I just think she dropped the ball here because she had too many pups at once and some issues during his birth.  

Also, it took me a solid 24-48 hours of spending one-on-one time with this pup to figure it out. People go years without knowing their senior dogs have lost their hearing, and two vets also missed it. So, I don't think she's unethical; I just think that she has learned a lesson. I mean, do breeders really spend that much alone time with their dogs in 12 weeks? I have no clue.

Would she & you be open to you keeping the dog but her refunding you the $? 

I believe so, but I would have to ask her again. I've been pretty stoned by these allergy meds the past few days, so maybe I misheard her. At this point, I think that is probably the best solution. The kids and my husband really seem attached, and I honesty think that I would be overwhelmed by 2 dogs, a 3 year old, a 7 year old, homeschooling, living in a small apartment with no yard, and driving a two-door sports car that isn't exactly comfortable . But  it's hard to predict what life will be like for us in 6 months, or whenever another litter arrives.

Edited by SeaConquest

I mean, do breeders really spend that much alone time with their dogs in 12 weeks? I have no clue.

the really good breeders do. They follow stuff like these Puppy Culture & similar protocols

here's a blog post explaining a bit about the Puppy Culture program. There's a section on sound desensitization where they talk about the ambient /calming sounds, sharp sounds (used for startle/recovery) and the habituation noises (vacuums, blenders, thunder, babies crying etc.)   The super duper breeders would absolutely know because they'd notice the pup wasn't responding right to the sounds. 

http://www.puppyculturestories.com/read/aaaaand-theyre-off-socialization-and-the-race-against-nature

Here's a video promo of Puppy Culture which shows some more clips of the activities they do with the puppies. Some are done in group but an important part is at some point to take pups individually & have them practice skills on their own... 

https://www.facebook.com/225489164303299/videos/vb.225489164303299/347043355481212/?type=2&theater

I'd be really tempted to take him to a good fenced small dog park (we have ones that are specifically for little dogs) and let him offleash so you can see how he plays. 

So hard isn't it?  & you guys must be getting attached.... 

So, we have a little fenced area in our complex, and he just played for 20-30 minutes with an intact, 3 year old pit/chihuahua mix. Cody was so happy. His tail didn't stop wagging once. He had that puppy energy and submissiveness. He was great.

• Like 3

the really good breeders do. They follow stuff like these Puppy Culture & similar protocols

here's a blog post explaining a bit about the Puppy Culture program. There's a section on sound desensitization where they talk about the ambient /calming sounds, sharp sounds (used for startle/recovery) and the habituation noises (vacuums, blenders, thunder, babies crying etc.)   The super duper breeders would absolutely know because they'd notice the pup wasn't responding right to the sounds. 

http://www.puppyculturestories.com/read/aaaaand-theyre-off-socialization-and-the-race-against-nature

Here's a video promo of Puppy Culture which shows some more clips of the activities they do with the puppies. Some are done in group but an important part is at some point to take pups individually & have them practice skills on their own... 

https://www.facebook.com/225489164303299/videos/vb.225489164303299/347043355481212/?type=2&theater

I understand. I followed the PC links you gave me before, and joined their FB group to learn more for myself. But, I got the impression that the PC movement is a burgeoning way of socializing pups -- not yet the standard throughout the breeding world, you know? I mean, does the fact that she hasn't watched PC make her unethical, or just someone who could use some continuing ed?

Also, from the PC link:

Because when you meet a "great" dog, one that's never aggressive, calm in public, friendly to strangers, gives up his food and possessions willingly, a fun companion that you can take anywhere and do anything with, that is directly in opposition to a dog's default genetic programing.

I mean, isn't that what I have? Yeah it sucks that he is deaf, and she should have caught it, but he's not deaf and an unsocialized pain the a**. His chill demeanor may just be him, or it may be because he really was well socialized. I cannot say. All I can say is what I've seen with him over the past few days, what I saw with his father, and what I know about his champion bloodlines. 

So, we have a little fenced area in our complex, and he just played for 20-30 minutes with an intact, 3 year old pit/chihuahua mix. Cody was so happy. His tail didn't stop wagging once. He had that puppy energy and submissiveness. He was great.

Pit/Chihuahua? That's awesome, and I want a photo, lol. what a cross!

Pit/Chihuahua? That's awesome, and I want a photo, lol. what a cross!

He looked like a Chi on steroids. He was probably 30-40ish lbs. of solid muscle, and looked like a boy who means business.

My impression is that she had two litters within a week of each other, and was likely overwhelmed (she is a widow). She said that the timing was unusual because she jumped at the chance to get one of the sires' semen while one of her bitches was in heat. So, it sounds like a bunch of puppies happened at once, and there were some issue's with Cody's mother. She had oversupply and was getting mastitis.

She would call the dogs outside in a group, and Cody likely just clued into what the others were doing. It also sounds like she also played with them in a group vs. individually. I met Cody's sire, and he was amazing -- beautiful, friendly, the entire package -- and Cody seems well socialized. I just think she dropped the ball here because she had too many pups at once and some issues during his birth.  

Please don't take this as I'm riding you, I'm just not impressed with this breeder.  I think many breeders pass themselves off as being great when really they are far from it.

What you describes MAY explain not knowing he was deaf the first 8 weeks of his life, but it certainly doesn't justify not knowing from age 2-5 months if she sold the other puppies at 8 weeks of age.  

My main concern is that you get your money back should you decide to keep the dog.  I wouldn't have a problem with keeping the dog but you need to make the decision that is best for your family.  

• Like 3

I understand. I followed the PC links you gave me before, and joined their FB group to learn more for myself. But, I got the impression that the PC movement is a burgeoning way of socializing pups -- not yet the standard throughout the breeding world, you know? I mean, does the fact that she hasn't watched PC make her unethical, or just someone who could use some continuing ed?

I really like Jane Killion's stuff but she didn't invent this. The idea has been around a lot longer than her program. Many breeders were doing this a lot earlier & I've known breeders here doing variations of similar programs for close to 10 yrs now. 

Puppy Prodigies put up these videos on youtube in 2008 & I think they were on their site in 2006 & they started that program years before they put all that stuff online. Check out their channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeufiev3yZiNB3ficFg_cgg

I think perhaps it hasn't percolated into show breeding as much? That's my sense anyway .. and I do think she's got this rather easy breed so I guess to a large extent she can coast on genetics...

Edited by hornblower

Hi Hive,

It's me again. Sick of me yet? ;)

So, my husband spoke to the breeder this morning, and she has offered to take the dog and give us another, or refund us $1500 (the dog was 3K -- I know, it is a ridiculous sum of money -- please don't shame me). 

We don't want to return the dog because he is so sweet and good with the kids. But, the larger issue is that we don't want to send the message to our children (my oldest especially because he is old enough to understand what is happening) that it is ok to return animals (and, by extension, people) who have disabilities and special needs. 

And, I don't think that we should have to pay $1500 to teach our children this lesson because she was the one who negligently gave us an almost 6 month old deaf dog. We know that her price for a pet dog is slightly over market for our area, but we didn't mind paying a bit more for the security of not having to be in precisely the situation we are in now -- returning a dog who wasn't what we expected.

I know that there are no guarantees with dogs, but we researched her, her dogs, her reputation -- we did our due diligence. So, I don't think paying for $1500 for a special needs dog, who will likely need more expensive equipment and training, is fair.

On the other hand, I don't want to add two dogs to our family right now. I will be completely overwhelmed. I would like to offer that she keep the $1500 now, but gives us 50% off a future dog when we are ready to add another dog to our family.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by SeaConquest

Yeah, echoing Pawz's question.

I'd not want another dog from her.

I'd probably ask for a $2500 back & no discount on any future dogs because I'd not be dealing with her again. Because here, $500 is pretty much going rate for adopting a small dog & it is a pb. (of course if you're adopting, a reputable place would disclose all known medical issues but...) 

She better not be breeding that pairing again and probably she should pull that dam & sire from the breeding program altogether.   

• Like 6

Are you sure you want to get another dog from her?

I am not sure, but it at least leaves the option open in the future without me feeling like I totally got screwed.

I mean, I met the sire. He was the number one Cav puppy in the nation this past year. I honestly did my research. From what I can tell form her FB feed, and what she has communicated to me, she had these two litters happen within a week of each other, which was an unusual timing issue, and the other litter was from a really prestigious UK stud dog (#1 stud dog in the UK). So, I think she was probably super excited about the pups from that litter, and likely didn't pay as much individual attention to my little runt as she probably should have. Like I said, two vets missed the hearing issue as well, and I only noticed because I have experience with deafness and dogs, and spent every waking hour with the dog for two solid days. I don't think that makes her a deceitful person or horrible breeder. I think she was overwhelmed, and made a mistake. She is human.

But, I don't like the choice of either eating $1500 or traumatizing my kids as a remedy. 

This is what she wrote this morning:

"I think if you tell them something like; the Breeder requires that a puppy that is found to not be normal be returned. That might help them understand. " 

I still don't think it is right to do that to my kids. Sacha (my oldest) isn't stupid.

• Like 2

We also asked what would happen to Cody, and she said that she had a friend, who couldn't afford to buy one of her Cavs, who would take him. For all I know, she will charge her friend for him.

She keeps saying that she wants us to be happy and satisfied with one of her pups, so she wants us to return him.

Edited by SeaConquest

I think Hornblower's suggestion of counter offering at $2500 is good.

But I also don't think there's anything wrong in going with your gut. Breeders ARE human and sometimes things happen and sometimes things get missed.  If you have a good feeling about her overall then I don't see any problem with asking for 50 percent off a future puppy.  I'd definitely get something in writing -- with her signature, not just an email.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

One more video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3wqr5on6xafdiv/20160526_080012.mp4?dl=0

He has had three of these reverse sneezing episodes just this morning, and several since we have had him. Is this normal for this breed, or should I be worried about Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome as well? http://cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm

I don't know about how much the reverse sneezing is related to that. fwiw, my setter reverse sneezes pretty frequently. I have to put my hand over his nose and almost plug his nostrils for a second or two and that seems to fix it. 

The breeder says that she never witnessed him reverse sneezing when he was there -- not that I can count on her to notice things in this dog, but...   He was vaxed via the nasal for Bordetella at his vet appointment two days ago. I wonder if that could have caused it? He didn't start doing it until after the vet appointment. It also doesn't seem to be when he is excited. It just happens randomly.

I just saw that California has a pet "lemon law:"

California 15 days for illness or disease

1 year for congenital or hereditary defects

1. Replacement plus reimbursement for veterinary expenses related to diagnosis and treatment, up to the purchase price of the dog

2. Refund of purchase price plus reimbursement for veterinary expenses up to the purchase price of the dog

3. Reimbursement of veterinary expenses up to 150% of the purchase price of the dog

But, I don't know whether we should be able to keep the dog AND receive a refund/replacement.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

wow, good catch on the law. I just googled & saw this table & it says (under your option 3)

Retain & Reimburse https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-pet-purchaser-protection-acts

Yeah, I just saw that site too. So, basically, we keep Cody, and she has to reimburse us for up to $4500 in vet bills. It says that the purchaser can choose the remedy. Hmmm. I am going to pull up the actual law and read it myself.

So, it sounds like us asking to keep Cody and her reimbursing us $2500 is actually lowballing ourselves. I am not looking to screw her. As I said, I think she just made an innocent mistake. But, I want to be fair to us as well. 

• Like 2

(a) If a licensed veterinarian states in writing that within 15 days after the purchaser has taken physical possession of a dog following the sale by a breeder, the dog has become ill due to any illness or disease that existed in the dog on or before delivery of the dog to the purchaser, or, if within one year after the purchaser has taken physical possession of the dog after the sale by a breeder, a veterinarian licensed in this state states in writing that the dog has a congenital or hereditary condition that adversely affects the health of the dog, or that requires, or is likely in the future to require, hospitalization or nonelective surgical procedures, the dog shall be considered unfit for sale, and the breeder shall provide the purchaser with any of the following remedies that the purchaser elects:

It doesn't sound to me like deafness would make the dog unfit for sale. I mean, I would have to pull caselaw to see how broadly they interpret "adversely affects the health of the dog."

Edited by SeaConquest

I don't know about that. The dalmatian club specifically states under their code of practice that all deaf puppies are unfit for sale & should be euthanized. (I don't agree with their policy fwiw but just pointing it out.... 

I think a dog who fails BAER can't be shown either so from an AKC standpoint it's a huge congenital fault. 

• Like 2

I don't know about that. The dalmatian club specifically states under their code of practice that all deaf puppies are unfit for sale & should be euthanized. (I don't agree with their policy fwiw but just pointing it out.... 

I think a dog who fails BAER can't be shown either so from an AKC standpoint it's a huge congenital fault. 

Wow. Brutal:

http://www.thedca.org/deaf1.html

But competing in AKC competition is different than showing in conformation.

AKC also allows mixed breed to compete in some of their agility etc competitions (though many mixed breed pet owners shun those competitions anyway...) 

I thought we weren't allowed to show with limited registration?

A dog registered with an AKC Limited Registration shall be ineligible to be entered in a breed competition in a licensed or member dog show. It is eligible, however, to be entered in any other licensed or member event. These events include: Obedience, Tracking, Field Trials, Hunting Tests, Herding, Lure Coursing, Agility and Earthdog.

http://www.akc.org/register/limited-registration/

But even if he had a full reg, I think he'd be disqualified for deafness. 

(this is way out of my realm btw lol. I'm not in the dog fancy world at all as i'm more on the sport side & even there I party on the peripheries :) ... And the Cdn rules are a bit different as we now have an altered class too for castrated dogs & I think AKC still doesn't.... Anyway.. rabbit trailing here. But my point is that you can argue it's a significant fault as it disqualifies an otherwise pb dog from conformation.) 

• Like 2

But even if he had a full reg, I think he'd be disqualified for deafness. 

(this is way out of my realm btw lol. I'm not in the dog fancy world at all as i'm more on the sport side & even there I party on the peripheries :) ... And the Cdn rules are a bit different as we now have an altered class too for castrated dogs & I think AKC still doesn't.... Anyway.. rabbit trailing here. But my point is that you can argue it's a significant fault as it disqualifies an otherwise pb dog from conformation.) 

Thank you for this. It's way out of my area as well. :)

Cody took the test and is indeed deaf in both ears. She wants $1250 for Cody, or will refund our money, or give us another dog. She has a buyer for Cody who will pay $2000 for him. What do we do? My husband says it's just money, but I feel conflicted.

Edited by SeaConquest

She doesn't have a buyer willing to pay $2000.  Why didn't she have a buyer the last 3 months?  She is just trying to get every dime out of you.  She knows you love Cody at this point.  Keep Cody and try to get as much $$ back from her as you can.  Get your vet to sign off that he is deaf and sue her in small claims court.  I am the furthest from 'sue happy' but this warrants it.  Post bad reviews and make sure she knows you intend to do so.  

• Like 4

Also I really doubt she has a buyer for a deaf dog for $2000.  I think likely she is trying to get as much $ from you as possible.

I would really just be very upfront with her and say hey, I don't want to screw you out of $ here, but we have taken on a serious burden and the law states that you would possibly contractually owe us X.  We aren't demanding X because we do love the dog, but we sure as hell expect Y.

• Like 4