Menu

Do you know of any chain gyms that allow a month long membership?

Laurie4b

I will likely be out of town for a month or so and I don't want to stop weight-lifting that long. So I'm looking for a chain that might allow me to purchase a month's membership, or alternately, for a chain that will allow you to pay-per-day. 

I just need basic weights. Nothing fancy: a bar bell, some dumbbells or kettle bells. 

I saw some ads for Planet Fitness and thought that would work, but it looks like they don't have free weights. Plus I sometimes grunt during lifts and apparently that sets off an alarm there?  :huh:

I agree with just calling around.  I do that when we travel and am almost always able to come up with something.  My parents were here in my city for three months and were able to make special arrangements for a short-term membership at a gym here.

• Like 1

The YMCAs here allow you to do that.  I'd probably just start calling around because any place may allow a special case!

This. I'd start calling gyms near where you are going to be.  Our gym is pretty empty in the spring/summer months. People have long since given up on New Year's resolutions and lots of folks are outside walking and biking and such.  I'm betting not many people buy new gym memberships this time of year so it might be a great time to talk someone into a one month membership. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Do you know anyone who has a membership where you'll be? Some places will let you buy guest passes.  Our gym doesn't advertise them but they have offered them to me when I mentioned we have guests coming to town. 

No, unfortunately, the folks I'm visiting don't go to gyms.

A lot of gyms will allow a short-term membership.  I am joining Planet Fitness just for the summer, and my son is joining the YMCA.  During winter break, my sons joined a different local gym for just a month.  When I go on vacation, I join the community center at the town we visit.  I would definitely call the gyms close to where you'll be staying and ask.  

Erica

• Like 1

If you have some kind of proof that you're a temporary resident, I'm pretty sure you could talk almost any gym into a month-long membership. The **cost** of that month would vary widely, I would imagine, but I have twice been in a place temporarily and was able to negotiate gym memberships for the time I was there. One gym was a 24 Hour Fitness and the other was a local gym. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

I saw some ads for Planet Fitness and thought that would work, but it looks like they don't have free weights. Plus I sometimes grunt during lifts and apparently that sets off an alarm there?  :huh:

My understanding (from research, not experience) is that a few natural "ugh"s wouldn't be an issue.  It's more the theatrical roars and the weight banging.  Yes, roars and super grunts are par for the course in competitive body building, but Planet Fitness does not cater to competitive body builders.  Their intent is to pull in people who are too intimidated to venture into a room full of stereotypical gym heads.  Non-stereotypical gym heads are welcome!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I had initially started going "gym" by "gym" in the area just based on websites and was coming up short. (The sites I looked at seriously lacked info and I looked at several--commercial and private. I wanted to know what kind of equipment they had. I don't think one gym even listed basic types (iow, I was looking for general info: we have cardio machines and weight machines or cardio machines, weight machines, and a free weight are. Nada. Just a "contact us" form.) 

I asked the Hive to get some leads of "most likely" gyms and will pursue individual contacts and keep in mind that independent gyms may be willing to negotiate.