Menu

Please help with wedding shower gift

aaplank

I really need help figuring out a perfect gift. I am traveling 12 hours to attend a small shower for my best friend's niece. I have known this family for 30 years, so I'm considered like family. As an aside, this shower is not typical for their culture.

Here is the rundown for the bride:

- She is a devout Muslim who wears hijab. I don't feel comfortable giving her lingerie.

- No alcohol.

- No registry (considered rude)

- She's keeping her maiden name (no gifts like Mr. And Mrs. ...)

- Lots of religious food restrictions that I don't feel comfortable navigating.

- I feel like gift cards and money are too impersonal. Maybe someone from an Arab culture could weigh in on this one)

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

At the bridal showers I've attended (for Muslim families), gifts are not usually opened, only 1 time were they opened. Granted we don't usually have these, so I've only been to about 4.

Beautiful vase

Jewelry box (if they are traditional, she'll be getting a LOT of gold) or one of those travel jewelry rolls.

Other items SHE would want starting her own house (at the wedding they will get $$ and household items (small appliances, etc.)). So I would think of items a new bride would want. A beautiful scarf some nice scented oils/bath products (we don't use perfume that contains alcohol, but many stores now sell scents without the alcohol, maybe bath and body works).

Usually close family/best friends will give her lingerie or she will purchase herself, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some. We're not all so quiet behind closed doors  :lol:  :leaving: .

• Like 2

Maybe something handmade from Etsy (a vase, pot holders, a candle holder, a picture frame)? A beautiful throw blanket is always nice. One can never have enough pretty drinking glasses. Or maybe a basket of your favorite kitchen gadgets? 

It's nice of you to travel so far for a shower! Hope you all have a lovely time.

• Like 1

A lovely little flower vase, or photo frame, a box of fancy chocolates or cookies (my Muslim neighbors are big on offering something, anything, to eat or drink whenever I set foot in the door. )

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

When I got married, the people in the office where I worked each wrote down a favorite family recipe and made a recipe book. They left space in the book so that my family, my husband's family, and our friends could all add recipes. I have done it since for other weddings. It takes a bit of effort to contact people and nudge them into contributing, but it is really worth it. 

• Like 2

I've started going to a really high-end consignment store in our town.  I just got a beautiful Waterford crystal flower vase for $30 (originally well over $100) and a set of beautiful crystal candlesticks for $10 (orignally well over $50).  In the past, for other brides, I have found picture frames, crystal wine glasses of classical appeal, lacquer boxes, and so on.  I don't find the kinds of things I am looking for at most other consignment stores, not for bridal / wedding gifts, but I do at this one.  

Frankly, if I were getting married today, THIS is where I would register.  They have a whole set of a Lennox china setting for 12--$250.  It's a classic pattern.  

Anyway, if you have something like that in your town, it might be a good stop.  

When I want "new" I go to Macy's and get similar items.  But they cost more.  :0)

At the bridal showers I've attended (for Muslim families), gifts are not usually opened, only 1 time were they opened. Granted we don't usually have these, so I've only been to about 4.

Beautiful vase

Jewelry box (if they are traditional, she'll be getting a LOT of gold) or one of those travel jewelry rolls.

Other items SHE would want starting her own house (at the wedding they will get $$ and household items (small appliances, etc.)). So I would think of items a new bride would want. A beautiful scarf some nice scented oils/bath products (we don't use perfume that contains alcohol, but many stores now sell scents without the alcohol, maybe bath and body works).

Usually close family/best friends will give her lingerie or she will purchase herself, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some. We're not all so quiet behind closed doors  :lol:  :leaving: .

Hee hee.  I've been to plenty of women only parties with my Muslim friends to know how risque they can be, once they take hijab off!  I've blushed on a few occasions.  I think I don't want to buy lingerie because they will laugh at me for being a prude!

I love your idea of focusing on the bride.  I think keeping it personal like you suggested should be my main focus.  

I didn't even think about perfume and smelly stuff having alcohol.  Thanks for the heads up!

Is she the sort who would like a piece of handmade lace from Etsy?  For her table, sofa, etc?

I'm not sure.  She seems to have a more modern taste.  

Etsy is a good idea.  Do you know how long shipping would take?  I need the gift by next Thursday.

Thanks for your help.

A lovely little flower vase, or photo frame, a box of fancy chocolates or cookies (my Muslim neighbors are big on offering something, anything, to eat or drink whenever I set foot in the door. )

Yes, the food giving and sharing is amazing!  I feel a little out of my league and not very confidant with offering food.  Their food gifts are so much better that I could even dream up!

I am looking forward to feasting for several days though.  Makes my 12 hour drive worth it!

I'm not sure.  She seems to have a more modern taste.  

Etsy is a good idea.  Do you know how long shipping would take?  I need the gift by next Thursday.

Thanks for your help.

Shipping probably depends on the seller.  You'd want to ask them.

An engraved picture frame is always a safe bet, if not very original. I've given then before. 

(man....I just about embarrassed myself. I almost added "or a First Christmas ornament". For the Muslim couple. Yeah...it's been a long week.)

• Like 1

An ice cream maker and Ben & Jerry's recipe book

Nice kitchen towels from Williams-Sonoma with a few quality spatulas, French whisk, whatever grabs you from that display

Cast iron skillet or two and a stainless scrubby

The Glassybaby votives are lovely!

• Like 1