Menu

What is a most fabulous baby gift?

madteaparty

With the massive quantities of baby gear on the market .... there's always something people swear by that others don't get at all. From my baby days it was wipes warmers and diaper disposal systems -- room temperature wipes and frequently emptied trashcans seemed fine for us. But I knew people who swore by both as the BEST THING EVER INVENTED.

I swore up down and over that my ring sling was the bestest thing for babies in the whole wide world (and for my three it definitely was) -- but other people liked other carriers :)

• Like 1

This is the sort of suggestion I was looking for :) is it really amazing? I'm trying to find reviews online now.

They already have a housekeeper and all that! ;)

I do have an unusual book I'm adding to the list, thanks all for reminding me

It is really amazing.

I got it because MIL had bought us a swing with the previous baby (one of those fancy-ish $100 ones from Walmart) and it was fine but the older kids were hard on it and you always had to have it near an outlet or with batteries and it made all these sounds and the seat was kind of hard and etc etc.

So when I was looking for a new one for the last baby, I found the Nuna - expensive, but they can sit in it until they weigh 140 lbs.  (not 14 lb, 140lb!).  I can sit in it!  (if I am not pregnant).

It doesn't plug in, there are no batteries, no lights, no sounds.  It is very soft and the seat part is sort of suspended so not hard plastic at all.  (and easy to take off to wash).

We have loved it :)

• Like 1

My favorite gift for the baby who has everything is a copy of The Read-Aloud Handbook and as many of my favorite board books as I can afford, presented in a pretty basket. If you want to go big, maybe add in a forward facing book rack.

This is my go to gift. I bought several copies of the book at once. Sometimes at the library for sale rack, or in a bargain bin at the grocery store I see mint condition board books. I then buy them so when a baby shower comes along I have a collection of board books and the read aloud hand book all set to go. 

• Like 2

Thinking outside the box and if money isn't a concern.. either a handwoven baby wrap or handwoven baby blankets.   I've had several  of my nieces ask me to make one for them because apparently it's become a "thing".  I haven't done it yet as it seems a little daunting of a project and I don't think my nieces realize what goes into weaving a warp (they'd like me ot do it at cost).  Handwoven baby blankets won't be nearly as expensive, but they will be heirlooms. 

• Like 2

I don't think anyone was trying to be offensive, I just honestly didn't understand what the thing is for. I still don't, even with an explanation, so maybe i'm just dense. I had a colicky baby. I didn't sleep. I don't see how a machine that tells me how little I slept or how many diapers I changed would be of any use. If the diaper is wet/poopy you change it, why do you need a record of that? If he's crying and not wet/dirty stick a boob in his mouth. Why record that you did it? It just seems like one more thing to do when you are already overwhelmed. I'd be looking around the house trying to figure out where I left it, I'm sure. Or end up tossing it in the diaper bin by accident or sitting on it or whatever. I was lucky to keep track of the baby, let alone a device. But mostly, I think I was probably better off NOT knowing how many times I nursed or changed diapers during the night...ignorance is bliss for me I guess?

I don't have a problem with people using them. My sister used it. I never got why, but she likes to keep track of EVERYTHING so I figured that was why. 

Questioning why people need something, after the uses have been explained to you, becomes offensive and looks like you are attempting to ridicule people for having an extra aid to help them figure out baby.

Is that what you are trying to do?  Ridicule?  Regardless of your intent, continually telling people that it's pointless when they enjoyed it IS offensive.

• Like 1

Questioning why people need something, after the uses have been explained to you, becomes offensive and looks like you are attempting to ridicule people for having an extra aid to help them figure out baby.

Is that what you are trying to do?  Ridicule?  Regardless of your intent, continually telling people that it's pointless when they enjoyed it IS offensive.

No, not at all. Just hoping someone will give me an explanation that I understand. But I apologize for any offense given. It's just a timer, I honestly didn't think being pro-timer or anti-timer could be seen as a major battle or something offensive. I just thought of it as a discussion, not an insult. I'm sorry. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2