Menu

The Mom Cut

Moxie

I am one of those unusual people for whom the mom cut is far higher maintenance than long hair.

For one thing, you have to go get it cut, whereas I haven't had my hair cut in over 20 years.

For another, I would need to put a bunch of mousse in it and blow it dry with that cut, and then 'style' it--something I have no expertise in doing.

Whereas with my long hair, I just wash it and let it dry naturally and pull it into a side part or a big clip in back or something super easy like that.

Ditto - my hair is never shorter than waist length. Usually closer to hip or butt length. This is precisely because it is lower maintenance than a short cut on my hair and looks way better on me. No mom cut here. The cult haircut around these parts seems to be shoulder length layers - the schools and gym are full of moms with them.

I saw that sketch and thought it was funny (especially the other mom stuff) but I don't know anyone with that cut. There isn't any one cut or style that seems to be popular among my crowd. I guess we're all individualists when it comes to hair because all of us have such different styles. Even in the wider circle of hs groups I used to belong to there wasn't one popular cut (though some people had similar styles).

Count me among those who would find that cut high maintenance. Any time I've had short hair I had to get it cut more often and it took a lot of time to style each day. Right now I'm satisfied with the style I have (mid-length, some layers in the back), except for my bangs. I can't stand hair on my face so I can't have actual  bangs. OTOH, they don't seem to be growing AT ALL, so when I lean my head forward they get in my eyes. They're too short to tuck behind my ears and barrettes and clips slide out of my hair. I just want them to grow long enough to be able to tie back with the rest of my hair.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I am one of those unusual people for whom the mom cut is far higher maintenance than long hair.

For one thing, you have to go get it cut, whereas I haven't had my hair cut in over 20 years.

For another, I would need to put a bunch of mousse in it and blow it dry with that cut, and then 'style' it--something I have no expertise in doing.

Whereas with my long hair, I just wash it and let it dry naturally and pull it into a side part or a big clip in back or something super easy like that.

Yeah I really don't understand what is so low maintenance about a "mom cut". 

Although I did cut my very very long (thick) hair.  Just shorter.  And that makes it easier to brush.  When it gets very long it tends to get knotted more easily. 

I haven't been to a salon probably in 25 years.  I have my husband cut it.

LOL, my mom cut is definitely the long ponytail. 

I've also said that I'm never going to have the old lady cut.  The short layered or permed cut.  I'm going to be the old hippie with the long grey braid.

When I was a little girl, I thought that ladies hair went curly and short when it went grey/white.  Like a female version of male pattern baldness.

• Like 4

For those of you who have/had the mom cut, how do you get it to do that in the back? Do you have to use a curling iron on each little piece? Dh and I were discussing it last night and I told him I'd ask. :p It looks like it would take SO LONG to get it to do that. 

My guess is that they scrunch it, which works pretty well if you have even a slight wave in your hair and use the right products.

It would not work with very straight hair though.

• Like 1

Is the mom cut billed as low maintenance?

I thought it was more about trying to be trendy within the confines of "you're too old to have xyz style".

It seems some women buy into the notion that past a certain age certain styles are taboo.

I don't agree with that, for the record.

For those of you who have/had the mom cut, how do you get it to do that in the back? Do you have to use a curling iron on each little piece? Dh and I were discussing it last night and I told him I'd ask. :p It looks like it would take SO LONG to get it to do that. 

I have stick straight fine hair and the way it worked for me was to have it cut in layer in the back that were pretty short.

I would just put some mousse or gel on my hands and run my hand up the back of my head to make it stand out, then just let it dry that way.

I knew it was time for a new cut when I couldn't do that any more and had to break out the flat iron to curl it up.

• Like 1

Somebody link pics for the 'reverse bob' and 'angled bob' - I think I might know what those look like (esp. angled bob - more fuzzy on the reverse one), but I can't picture a ton of mom-age people with them, so I'm thinking I need visuals.. ;)

Here are some inverted bobs - like a bob but longer at the front - these can be very subtle and look almost like a regular bob or more extreme.  The angled bob seems to be the same thing.

Ditto - my hair is never shorter than waist length. Usually closer to hip or butt length. This is precisely because it is lower maintenance than a short cut on my hair and looks way better on me. No mom cut here. The cult haircut around these parts seems to be shoulder length layers - the schools and gym are full of moms with them.

I may need to move so I can be trendy! I have shoulder length layers! But here the trendy cut for moms is the angled bob. 

Here are some inverted bobs - like a bob but longer at the front - these can be very subtle and look almost like a regular bob or more extreme. The angled bob seems to be the same thing.

Okay, yeah, that's what I was thinking an angled bob would be. There's definitely some posts in this thread that were contrasting them as if they were different , so I was getting confused :lol:

Edited by Matryoshka