Menu

Talk to me about starting AAS in 4th grade

luuknam

I'm considering starting AAS with my rising 4th grader in the fall. He's okay at spelling (I tested him in February and he scored a grade 4.2 for spelling, so a little above average). That said, his mistakes are often not phonetic, which concerns me. I think he's got a strong visual memory, and he's learned phonics rules (did a phonics program that included nonsense words), but he prefers to not use his knowledge of phonics, argh (when asked to sound out his misspelled words he'll whine, but then read them and realize that they don't even sound remotely like what he was trying to write, at which point he often comes up with a correct or at least more sensible spelling). He also still prefers to guess at words while reading, because he can read almost everything without sounding it out.

So...

1) Do you think AAS would be a good program for him?

2) How far do you think he'd get in one year (how many levels)?

ETA: #2 mostly because of upcoming curriculum sale.

Edited by luuknam

1. Sounds like AAS would be a good choice since it's a complete phonics program, and it would definitely reinforce what he already knows in that area, including syllable division.

2. I have no idea. It will largely depend on how he responds to it and how much time you spend on it. He should definitely be able to whiz through Level 1, maybe even completing that in 1-2 months. Maybe others who've accelerated AAS with an older child can speak to that.

• Like 1

Buy at least 2, maybe 3 if a good deal.

Thanks. :) Obviously it will depend on how good a deal I can get (or if I find the books at all) - if I can get all 7 levels for $10 (total), I'm buying all 7, lol.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I started my DD on AAS when she was in the middle of 4th grade. She was a good speller because she's read so many books and could recognize when the word "looks right", but she did not know her phonics well at all (this was our 1st year homeschooling coming right out of public school at the time). She went through levels 1-3 like lightning, level 4 & 5 pretty quickly, and then level 6 & 7 more slowly but at about a step or so a week. Even so, she's about halfway through level 7 now at the end of her 6th grade year.

She dislikes the phonics approach immensely and argued with me about the babyishness of the first few levels, but when I see her struggling with a word now I can tell she's trying and discarding different phonemes instead of guessing, so for us it seems to be working. :)

• Like 2

You may want to look at Logic of English essentials. The concepts are really similar but you could finish it in a year or faster if you prefer. Both AAS and LOE are Orton-Gillingham spin-offs. LOE also includes grammar but it is easy to skip those portions.

Also I would wonder about dyslexia if he is still guessing a words. It may mean he did not internalize the phonics. Sounding out is how good readers read, although it happens very fast. The fact that he is guessing would make me question if he is reading by memory. This will become problematic as the level of difficulty in his books increases. Just something to think about.

• Like 3

My daughter started AAS this year (in third grade), and we've had great success so far. (We had done Spelling Workout for 1st and 2nd, and it was basically useless for us.) She is now in Level 2 (but moving quickly), so, she is moving at a pace of about two levels per year. I have no doubt she will catch up to where she "should" be within the next school year. More importantly, though, she's finally really getting spelling and understanding everything easily. She loves the letter tiles and all the materials. Highly recommend!

• Like 1

I would look into How to Teach Spelling instead. The program includes words all the way through high school level, teaches the rules, has spiraled dictation, and is a fraction of the price. (I use just the TM (total cost $30) and start around page 30. Others say they find it confusing and teach it without the workbooks. Even so, still way cheaper than AAS.)

http://www.christianbook.com/how-to-teach-spelling/laura-rudginski/9780838818473/pd/41847?dv=t&en=google&event=SHOP&kw=homeschool-20-40%7C41847&p=1179710&gclid=CK7xmbmn18wCFZA2gQodj5kDLw

• Like 1

I started my kids in 4th and 6th grades. Like others have said, you'll go through the early levels quickly. Both of mine got into level 3 the first year (oldest nearly finished it, and he was a struggling speller--so I'd expect a student like your son would easily get through 3 levels). Here's an article about how to fast track through Level 1.

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 2

I started my fourth grader at Level 1 this year. We whizzed through first two !evels. The third level went quite fast. We skipped a lot of sentences if the ones picked were spelled correctly.

Starting in level four, she writes every sentence, which slows the progress a lot. She still gets most words correct but the dictation tests her knowledge and develops her taking dictation skills. We focused on spelling in the beginning of the year but redirected our focus once we got to level four. Even with recent inconsistent attention we are 2/3 of the way done level four.

If you are looking to save money I would not buy the word package. I just use the teacher's manual.

• Like 2

If you are looking to save money I would not buy the word package. I just use the teacher's manual.

I second only using the teacher's manual at that age. I wish I had not bought all the other stuff for the 1st 4 levels -- LOL. We started late and my boys were not interested at all in tiles and word cards. We used/use the TM, a white board, and they each had a spiral notebook.

• Like 2

I second only using the teacher's manual at that age. I wish I had not bought all the other stuff for the 1st 4 levels -- LOL. We started late and my boys were not interested at all in tiles and word cards. We used/use the TM, a white board, and they each had a spiral notebook.

Well, the good news is that I've got a younger one as well, who in February spelled at a grade 2.2 level, so I think the early levels might be useful for him (though maybe not level 1). The younger one loves playing with the magnetic poetry*, so he'd probably like the tiles as well. I think my older would like the tiles too, but less sure - he's less predictable.

* http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Poetry-Refrigerator-Letters-Fridge/dp/B008JGG006/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

To be clear, I bought the Edgar Allen Poe magnetic poetry for myself, not for my kid - I was surprised he liked it.

Edited by luuknam

My kids love spelling on the whiteboard because spelling is one of the limited times I let them use the whiteboard. I prefer the whiteboard because the kids spend too much rearranging the magnetic tiles which drives me bonkers.

Magnetic poetry rearranged I would enjoy. Thanks for a reminder to dig that up.

• Like 1

My kids love spelling on the whiteboard because spelling is one of the limited times I let them use the whiteboard. I prefer the whiteboard because the kids spend too much rearranging the magnetic tiles which drives me bonkers.

Magnetic poetry rearranged I would enjoy. Thanks for a reminder to dig that up.

Do you not use the tiles at all?

• Like 1

That's my question too.  I no longer have a schoolroom and am considering AAS.  I would much prefer a handheld white board, but maybe the kids are supposed to be manipulating letter tiles and without them they would be missing a tactile component of the lesson?

Anyone?

• Like 1

That's my question too. I no longer have a schoolroom and am considering AAS. I would much prefer a handheld white board, but maybe the kids are supposed to be manipulating letter tiles and without them they would be missing a tactile component of the lesson?

Anyone?

It depends. If you are dealing with dyslexia or dysgraphia, the tiles make a huge difference.

I made a file-folder office for my kids with regular 8.5"x11" file folders. It has 4 panels. Each panel I covered with a magnetic sheet. That gives me room for all the tiles for levels 1-3, room for future tiles, and room to work. My student sits across our little school table to work. It all folds up and goes in a plastic envelope type thing with our current book. Cost me maybe $8 for the folders and magnets.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have two children in AAS at this time.  We very rarely use the magnetic tiles.  Sometimes when we are in a rut (for excitement) I take out the magnetic board to use the tiles but they usually prefer the whiteboard.  Ninety-five percent of the time they just use a notebook. 

When my kindergartener joins in on the spelling session (just random easy words), he also writes because it gives me an opportunity to watch his letter formation. When he joins more regularly, I expect the magnetic letter will be used more (for a short while).

Magnetic letters have the advantage of reinforcing the alphabet when returning the tiles to their correct place.  

I bought the whole kit and caboodle wishing it to be to be the answer to all spelling difficulties, and it has worked extremely well because it is a repetitive step-by-step program which is easily implemented.  Going forward, I will only buy the teacher's guides.  If I was to do it again I would only buy the teacher's manual.  In addition, I would buy some magnetic letters to use on the fridge for the early stages and maintain a paper list of misspelled words to re-visit for each child.  Less stuff in the house, more money in your pocket.

This is the magnetic board we use (minus the tray), so we can also use coloured chalk for more excitement :).
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00267240/

I have two children in AAS at this time. We very rarely use the magnetic tiles. Sometimes when we are in a rut (for excitement) I take out the magnetic board to use the tiles but they usually prefer the whiteboard. Ninety-five percent of the time they just use a notebook.

When my kindergartener joins in on the spelling session (just random easy words), he also writes because it gives me an opportunity to watch his letter formation. When he joins more regularly, I expect the magnetic letter will be used more (for a short while).

Magnetic letters have the advantage of reinforcing the alphabet when returning the tiles to their correct place.

I bought the whole kit and caboodle wishing it to be to be the answer to all spelling difficulties, and it has worked extremely well because it is a repetitive step-by-step program which is easily implemented. Going forward, I will only buy the teacher's guides. If I was to do it again I would only buy the teacher's manual. In addition, I would buy some magnetic letters to use on the fridge for the early stages and maintain a paper list of misspelled words to re-visit for each child. Less stuff in the house, more money in your pocket.

This is the magnetic board we use (minus the tray), so we can also use coloured chalk for more excitement :).

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00267240/

Do you not use the cards either?

I don't use the cards anymore.  By writing out each sentence in the dictation list, they get enough review.  If they make mistakes, I have them write the word correctly three times.  If it is a word that they should really know, I have them write it out six times (happens rarely).  Then the next spelling lesson I dictate the same sentence again.   For level 1-3, I picked the sentences which had more challenging words for them (or easier if they were having an off day).  For level 4, I read each sentence.

I teach my two at the same time which gives them the advantage of hearing the explanation twice.

For younger kids maybe having the word card and seeing their progress as the stack grows would be beneficial.  However, I found it one more thing to keep track of which was not necessary.  When my third joins I probably won't use the cards.

I just checked my box.  I stopped using the cards at Level 3 - Step 9.  So my oldest got that far with cards.

What is a magnetic sheet? I'll look into this as an option, thank you!

They are in the craft section of stores like Wal-mart. The one side of the roughly 8.5x11 sheet is a magnet, the other side is an adhesive (like a sticker). It could be cut up for crafts, but you don't in this instance, you want the whole sheet. Wal-mart had them in packages of 2... as you need 4 total, it was just 2 packages

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk