Menu

Blood sugar and liquid diet

Moxie

I have blood sugar issues. I take metformin. I have to have a *procedure* and need to be on a liquid diet for 36 hours. I only drink diet soda, sugar free drinks and water. But, I'll need some calories, right? Should I drink regular juice or something with sugar in it?? That would be so hard for me after years of no sugar!

I would do a vegetable smoothie with a protein powder if it is allowed, possibly with some added fat like coconut oil.  liquid diets make my blood sugar wonkey because there isn't a real delay from mouth to blood and my blood sugar gets raised to fast, so complex  carbs. protein and fats make it more steady

I wouldn't do juices, they use those to raise blood sugar rapidly when needed. Definitely call and ask, you can't be the only person with blood sugar issues that has had this procedure.

Edited by KarenNC

Call and ask questions.

I was told to fast before and I complained due to being hypoglycemic. Depending on the test, you may get permission to eat something or more flexibility. I did. Oh and once dd had medicine where the bottle directions said NO food and the fine print said it was okay. I wish I'd had the fine print with us when we were traveling and I called the pharmacist asking questions.

I would call and ask.  Metformin can dangerously lower blood sugar if you are not eating your normal diet.  I would be very concerned to have no carbs at all for that period of time.  Without any other advice, I'd try to mimic the protein-carb-fat percentages that you are already eating.  Just make it all liquid...milk, broth, juice, etc.