Menu

Where is the Read-Aloud Revival equivalent for math?

I discovered the Read-Aloud Revival site and podcasts this year, and have been thoroughly enjoying myself.  Last night's webinar with Ken Ludwig was fabulous!  The problem is that I am already strong in literature and language arts.  I am not intimidated at all by Shakespeare, reading aloud, or literary analysis, as this is just something we DID in my family, and I didn't realize we were unusual.  So while RAR is fabulous, and I love it -- it isn't something my homeschool desperately needs.  What I would really like to have is a creative, enthusiastic Sarah Mackenzie personality who offers podcasts on math:  innovative approaches, fun games, interviews with mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.  Kate Snow, you would like to do this, wouldn't you?

• Like 7

I would love that too!

I know . . . I always leave the site thinking, "Yes, we must read out loud as a family!  Yes, I must select quality literature for my children!  Yes, we must do Shakespeare . . . but wait, we already do all of that."

I want to get all fired up about something I'm not as naturally excited about.

• Like 2

I like to think that I have benefited from watching Maria Miller's teaching videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/mathmammoth

IMO, Maria is a "teacher's teacher." If you feel shaky with teaching math, her approach can build confidence and perspective.

I've also enjoyed working through many lessons from Education Unboxed: http://www.educationunboxed.com/

Rosie is also a teacher's teacher. She provides a way of thinking about and doing math that can bring "aha!" moments to those of us who feel naturally "unmathy."

Denise Gaskins has good resources at Let's Play Math: https://denisegaskins.com/

In thinking about this, it's clear that I've really just listed some resources, but not something that does for Math what RAR does for Literature. I'm not sure there really is a RAR equivalent for Math. If there is, I'd like to know about it. ;) Hmm.... good question!

• Like 5

I know . . . I always leave the site thinking, "Yes, we must read out loud as a family!  Yes, I must select quality literature for my children!  Yes, we must do Shakespeare . . . but wait, we already do all of that."

I want to get all fired up about something I'm not as naturally excited about.

Why not get fired up about Science? Here's the RAR of Science. :)

http://thehappyscientist.com/

Rob Krampf is a great teacher's teacher! He is interesting, intelligent, funny, and so enthusiastic about Science, it's contagious. We have had a subscription to his site for several years now, and it has always been worth the (very reasonable) price.

When I watch his videos, my girls come up behind me and want to watch, too. They love his quirky humor and the bloopers at the end. ;) I love how Mr. Krampf helps us to want to get out there, to explore, to get dirty (if necessary), to ask questions, to be critical thinkers, to observe closely, to collect materials for hands-on work (we never did this before our subscription), to record our results, to be purposeful and joyful in our learning. I like how he teaches Science, but I also think he is a wonderful role model for the joy of lifelong learning and actively engaging in our interests.

• Like 8

I discovered the Read-Aloud Revival site and podcasts this year, and have been thoroughly enjoying myself.  Last night's webinar with Ken Ludwig was fabulous!  The problem is that I am already strong in literature and language arts.  I am not intimidated at all by Shakespeare, reading aloud, or literary analysis, as this is just something we DID in my family, and I didn't realize we were unusual.  So while RAR is fabulous, and I love it -- it isn't something my homeschool desperately needs.  What I would really like to have is a creative, enthusiastic Sarah Mackenzie personality who offers podcasts on math:  innovative approaches, fun games, interviews with mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.  Kate Snow, you would like to do this, wouldn't you?

I can't promise a whole series...but how about an episode with Pam Barnhill at Your Morning Basket coming out next Tuesday? :)

• Like 12

Rob Krampf is a great teacher's teacher! He is interesting, intelligent, funny, and so enthusiastic about Science, it's contagious. We have had a subscription to his site for several years now, and it has always been worth the (very reasonable) price.

When I watch his videos, my girls come up behind me and want to watch, too. They love his quirky humor and the bloopers at the end. ;) I love how Mr. Krampf helps us to want to get out there, to explore, to get dirty (if necessary), to ask questions, to be critical thinkers, to observe closely, to collect materials for hands-on work (we never did this before our subscription), to record our results, to be purposeful and joyful in our learning. I like how he teaches Science, but I also think he is a wonderful role model for the joy of lifelong learning and actively engaging in our interests.

Thank you.  This looks excellent.

• Like 1

Thank you for this! We just watched one of the videos, and my daughter and I immediately fell in love with him. He's like the grandfather I wish I'd had...

• Like 1

This is where I'm so happy that I (humanities-loving as I am) married an engineer. On one of our first dates, he explained the difference between jet and internal combustion engines to me (I had them sort of reversed in my head), and I was hooked. It does lend itself nicely to some math-y dinner table conversations, last night about estimating the cost of the new tile going into our kitchen - which covered estimation, percents, area, square feet, sales tax, and whether or not a forklift could make it up our driveway. 

It's not a podcast or hand-holding or anything, but we enjoy the Bedtime Math apps/books/daily emails as a nice reminder (to me) of how to discuss and naturally point out math-y stuff everywhere. I also like the resources put out my the Natural Math people - Moebius Noodles, their Multiplication Explorers course, and they have a new book for littler kids about classification. Some of them I use as lessons, but a lot of it I use to give myself the background and vocabulary to talk about it better.

You already have a lot more mathematical thinking than you are aware of - things like symmetry, geometric shapes, classification, analogies, fractions, graphing. It helps me to use the above resources to tap into what I already know. I'm definitely leaving differential calculus for my husband! 

• Like 5