Menu

If I only read ONE book about homeschooling high school...

what should it be? Looking for general help in creating courses, transcripts, grading, credits, college prep, etc.  We are not religious, so I'm not looking for anything with a lot of Christian references or overtones.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I would highly recommend Homeschooled and Headed for College, Your Road Map for a Successful Journey by Denise Boiko. I'm not sure it's available on Amazon. I had to purchase it through her website a few years ago. It is very thorough and well researched.

ETA: Even if your child isn't college bound, this book is a great resource for high school planning.

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 2

There's a new edition of the Well Trained Mind coming out this fall...

Yes and I can't wait! 

I would read the sticky threads on top of the high school board.

I think I would say the high school & college boards right here are the best source of info, plus whatever your local state/province homeschool group puts out about the specifics for your region. 

Definitely these are good resources.  I'm thinking of unplugging for a week or so, and would like something to read during that time.

"Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission" by Jeanne Gowen Dennis.

I second the suggestion of reading Jeanne Gowen Dennis's Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission; the author makes homeschooling through high school seem doable. (It is written from a Christian perspective, but I recommend it to all.)

ETA:

Some other valuable reads:

What High Schools Don't Tell You - 300+ Secrets to Make Your Kid Irresistible to Colleges by Senior Year by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

and her other book: What Colleges Don’t Tell You by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

Another I'd recommend is How to Get Into the Top Colleges by Krista Klein and Richard Montauk. This book is a helpful overview of the entire college application process and is particularly helpful if your child is aiming toward any moderately selective college.

Books by Cal Newport are well worth reading.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I enjoyed Homeschooling to Open Doors. It is a quick read, but also a $2.00 kindle book on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Open-Doors-Choices-Thinking-ebook/dp/B00GGZSVHM?ie=UTF8&keywords=Homeschooling%20to%20open%20doors&qid=1462270988&ref_=sr_1_1&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

If i had to pick one book though , I would pick Called to Influence:A New Appraoch to Life, Education, and College Admission by Jeannette Webb.

http://www.amazon.com/Called-Influence-Approach-Education-Admissions/dp/0984462309/ref=la_B00FAVQYJK_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462271319&sr=1-1

Edited by Silver Brook