Menu

Letting kids read their books on ipad, but hiding mine

MotherGoose

I've looked online, but can't seem to find answer.  We have one iPad.  I normally don't let the kids read books on my iPad, but as we are planning an international trip and would rather not carry along paper books, I'd like to have them read on my iPad.  But I don't want them to have access to my books.  Is there a way to allow them access to their books but not mine?  I guess I could get them through Overdrive or 3M maybe and not Kindle?  This is for recreational reading, not school.  

Grrr!  Mine aren't super savvy about things but if they open the Kindle app and see other books I'm sure they will look out of pure curiosity.    I guess I will just have to download onto Overdrive or something else.  Computers have that function--guess they aren't doing it so they can make us buy separate devices for everyone?!!?  I'm sure it would be a simple thing to do.  

You could remove the books you don't want them accessing from the device, or put them in a folder & set it to only show the books but not the folders.  Stuff in folders might not show up, depending on which software version you have.  They could still snoop through the settings & find the folders, but not many kids would bother.  Turn off the internet & wifi access so they can't see the stuff in the cloud.

I've looked online, but can't seem to find answer.  We have one iPad.  I normally don't let the kids read books on my iPad, but as we are planning an international trip and would rather not carry along paper books, I'd like to have them read on my iPad.  But I don't want them to have access to my books.  Is there a way to allow them access to their books but not mine?  I guess I could get them through Overdrive or 3M maybe and not Kindle?  This is for recreational reading, not school.  

Do you want to ALSO access your own books on the same ipad?

If not, what worked for the Kindle I made for my son (so hopefully would work for an ipad) was that I deleted ALL Books off the Kindle. Then I transferred to the Kindle a set of books that I wanted my son to have access to (I discovered this is faster through Amazon's interface. You can choose "Send to" and specific the device you want it sent to.)  Then turn off the Internet on the Kindle so they can't go poking around in the Archive folder and deliberately bring something else up that isn't already there.