Menu

Sore Throat Help

ReadingMama1214

A nasty Head cold has gone through our family. It started with our 2 year old and seemed to be mainly in the sinuses. Kids bad gross noses and gunky eyes and then dry coughs. Kids are still coughing, but seem on the mend.

I, on the other hand, am not suffering from a terrible sore throat. I have the typical head cold symptoms (congestion, sneezing, no fever). I lost my voice and my throat has been killing me for 3 days now. I bought Hylands Defend Cold and Flu tea mix. I've been gargling with salt water and drinking iced water and warm tea. Trying to avoids Motrin, But it's really painful. Any other home remedies? I have sore throat lozenges, but they've done nothing.

I would take the pain reliever. I would also do a nasal rinse (NeilMed sinus rinse is what I use). Chloraseptic lozenges have a numbing agent that is good.

I have the chloraseptic lozenges. They don't even touch the pain! It's mostly when I swallow or speak.

I did cave and take Motrin. The Hylands tea was great for the other cold symptoms and their nighttime cold medicine is amazing! But it didn't touch the sore throat. Motrin does thankfully.

Vic's vapor rub or eucalyptus essential oil on the bottom of your feet and then a pair of socks.  Also if I am real congested I put it under my nose and eyes.  Vics has eucalyptus in it.  I haven't tried the foot thing but have friends who swear by it.  I just haven't been that sick since finding out about it.

This is going to sound crazy, but I swear it is magic.  I mix about 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper with about 1/2 cup water.  Take a big swig and gargle as long as you can stand, then swallow.  It relieves the pain for about an hour.  Repeat as necessary.  We do this at the first sign of a sore throat and sometimes it seems to prevent the illness from setting in.