Menu

Where to go on vacation this summer?

MamaBearTeacher

I am thinking that a vacation where we hike will be best for my family. We have about 3 weeks. I don't want to go anywhere where there is a lot of Lyme disease. We live in the Northeast and we would rather not fly because DS14 has autism and behaves so badly sometimes in airports and airplanes that I am surprised that last time they did not throw him off the plane. But we might have to fly. I would rather not drive for a great length of time because DH doesn't like that and we have to stop every half hour for the washroom. It can't be anywhere super hot because DS will be in a very bad mood. I would love to see the national parks in the southeast but they are all hot in the summer, right?

In the past we have done road trips where we went to several destinations. This was great because ASD son does great with change and variety but it was really hard to plan and I would rather stay in one place. Also I would rather not stay in a motel because my son with ASD has very bad tantrums at night. We cannot afford an expensive hotel for 3 weeks. I would like a cottage, but it has to be a heavy duty place, not someone's home that they rent with knickknacks and decorations because my oldest sons have autism and can be destructive.

They don't know how to swim and they have to do something during the day and the only thing they do well is hike so I thought a day hiking vacation. They do not do heavy duty hiking. I thought of Colorado but then I thought if we went all the way there we might have to drive to different towns every few days to see the different places. Is that true? I thought of North Carolina. Would that be a good place for us? Any ideas? I love national parks with beautiful scenery. They love seeing new places even though they behave badly.

We live in Colorado Springs.  There's a ton to do here including several cool places to hike.  You could spend a week here and have plenty to do.  Then, if you drive up to Winter Park or Estes park (2-3 hours away or so), you could stay at a YMCA camp and have another whole week of really fun things to do.  YMCA camps have cottages and cabins you can rent that are pretty basic.  Since it's dry (at least in Colorado Springs), we don't have mosquitoes.  The weather also as a result is a non-humid heat which makes it so much more comfortable.

Edited by bethben
  • Like 2

Go to Maine!  It's not that far from you.

Stay near Mount Katahdin and hike it a couple of times.  It's the end of the Appalachian Trail, and the views are remarkable from up top.  You'll see lots of moose, and maybe even a bear!

Then go to Acadia and camp there for a while.  Go horseback riding, buy lobsters off the boats, dig for clams and cook them over an open fire, have a blast.  

If you still have time after that, drive over to New Hampshire and explore Mount Washington.  You can drive to the top.  Prepare for changeable weather--it's very unpredictable there, which can even be dangerous.  But it's gorgeous.

• Like 4

Go to Maine!  It's not that far from you.

Stay near Mount Katahdin and hike it a couple of times.  It's the end of the Appalachian Trail, and the views are remarkable from up top.  You'll see lots of moose, and maybe even a bear!

Then go to Acadia and camp there for a while.  Go horseback riding, buy lobsters off the boats, dig for clams and cook them over an open fire, have a blast.  

If you still have time after that, drive over to New Hampshire and explore Mount Washington.  You can drive to the top.  Prepare for changeable weather--it's very unpredictable there, which can even be dangerous.  But it's gorgeous.

Yes!!! This. Acadia has the most amazing hiking! If you want to camp, Mt. Desert Campgrounds is a wonderful place to have as a home base. There are even a lot of waterfront sites--gorgeous.

• Like 3

Go to Maine! It's not that far from you.

Stay near Mount Katahdin and hike it a couple of times. It's the end of the Appalachian Trail, and the views are remarkable from up top. You'll see lots of moose, and maybe even a bear!

Then go to Acadia and camp there for a while. Go horseback riding, buy lobsters off the boats, dig for clams and cook them over an open fire, have a blast.

If you still have time after that, drive over to New Hampshire and explore Mount Washington. You can drive to the top. Prepare for changeable weather--it's very unpredictable there, which can even be dangerous. But it's gorgeous.

Go to Maine! It's not that far from you.

Stay near Mount Katahdin and hike it a couple of times. It's the end of the Appalachian Trail, and the views are remarkable from up top. You'll see lots of moose, and maybe even a bear!

Then go to Acadia and camp there for a while. Go horseback riding, buy lobsters off the boats, dig for clams and cook them over an open fire, have a blast.

If you still have time after that, drive over to New Hampshire and explore Mount Washington. You can drive to the top. Prepare for changeable weather--it's very unpredictable there, which can even be dangerous. But it's gorgeous.

We went to Acadia a few years ago and loved it. How long does it take to go up Mount Katahdin?

We went to Acadia a few years ago and loved it. How long does it take to go up Mount Katahdin?

It's a very long day hike.

IIRC I started at 7AM and hiked most of the day, maybe 10-11 hours to do it.  It's not the miles, but rather the slope that makes it slow.  I was 23 at the time--I'm sure I could not do it now.  

The top is 3 peaks connected by a trail that is appropriately named the KnifeEdge Trail, because there are sheer drops on both sides of it.  When I went, it was actually above the clouds.  When I looked down, there was a rainbow halo around the shadow of my head on the clouds below--it was the only time I have ever seen that.  Each person saw it around their own head.

I did this Labor Day weekend, and it was surprisingly cold, especially in the morning, and very windy once I passed beyond the tree line.  Plan for cold weather, just in case--it's very important not to get hypothermia, and it's very important to respect this mountain--although you don't need climbing gear, it is still not a tame or safe walk in the park for sure.

• Like 1

Maine, alas, is a hotbed for Lyme, which I think the OP said she wanted to stay away from. It's going to be a terrible tick year thanks to our mild winter.

I don't think I'd recommend Katahdin to kids with autism. It's no place to have an emergency of any kind.

How about the Canadian Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI)?  It's very rural, several short hikes, great scenery, etc.  Halifax adds a nice small city addition if you want it.

http://www.novascotia.com/

http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/#

https://www.tourismpei.com/

We did a three week road trip in this area some years ago and my kids (and us adults) had a blast.  The traveling hours are short.  We stayed in a mix of cottages (can't recall any knick knacks) and camping.

• Like 2

Keep the ideas coming. I was seriously thinking of Colorado but then I got worried that the altitude would be just too high.

This is a reasonable fear.  The plains in CO are about the same altitude as, say, the highest mountain in Vermont, and the mountains in CO are thousands of feet higher than that.  It really is quite wearing physically to hike up there if you're not used to it.

So back to Mount Katahdin, it's in the far north of Maine, in Baxter State Park, which has many other lovely places to hike.  You don't necessarily have to hike Katahdin itself to have a good time hiking there.  I don't know about the prevalence of Lyme disease in the area.  I would expect some mosquitoes, and would plan on wearing repellent during the summer months.  I'm pretty organic normally but I think that DEET for a couple of weeks once a year is a reasonable move.

There is also good hiking in Vermont, and it's low altitude but truly mountainous--the Green Mountains, especially near Stowe, are steep, craggy, 'real' mountains (not hills) but the plains are so close to sea level that you never feel the altitude as you hike up near there.  There is a trail through most of the state, called "The Long Trail", that takes you through all of the most beautiful terrain around.  It is the model for the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails.  And I think that it is typically a 3 week  backpacking trip.  Personally I would want to do it in segments, not continuously like that, but YMMV.  Check it out.

We're going to Lake Anne in VA for our whole family vacation.  We're renting a house right on the lake and all the kids will be joining us at some time during that week.

We're also hoping to go away for a weekend or two camping. 

I *love* Dolly Sods WV.. It's a wilderness area in/near Monogahela National Forest.   Great hiking... primitive camping on the mountain, but lots of camping/cabin rentals closer to town.   We're also hoping to try a new place called Nelson Sods which is south of Dolly Sods.   They don't have camping in the Nelson wilderness area but some close by. 

2 years ago we went to Western PA near Ohiopyle.  There's Falling Water's there (aFrank Lloyd Wright designed home) as well as good camping and white water rafting.  We loved it.

Of course, none of these places fit your no-lyme criteria.  Sadly, I don't think you'll find any place like that within easy driving distance of the East Coast.

Edited by PrincessMommy

Is there enough to do there for 3 weeks?[/

Between the Upper Pennisula, Macinac Island area and Sleeping Bear Dunes ,,yes I think,you could keep busy for a couple,of weeks. Traverse city and the Leelanau Pennisula areaanother area you could explore. Depend ding on where you are driving from, Niagra Falls might be on the way.

Is there enough to do there for 3 weeks?[/

Between the Upper Pennisula, Macinac Island area and Sleeping Bear Dunes ,,yes I think,you could keep busy for a couple,of weeks. Traverse city and the Leelanau Pennisula areaanother area you could explore. Depend ding on where you are driving from, Niagra Falls might be on the way.

Thanks!

Are these forest areas or sand dunes?

I think there is plenty to do in northern Michigan for three weeks. I am not sure you can day trip to all of it from one location tho.

I really can't be as specific as you would like as we haven't vacationed up there for more than a weekend at a time.

Check out PureMichigan.org for information.

I would stay away from the upper midwest and northeast if you want to avoid lyme. Here's a map. If you want to avoid it and still go hiking, I'd look at the west--Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, or the mountains of California.

Michigan doesn't seem that bad but it's hard to tell because the map looks at where the people are from, but what if they got Lyme disease while traveling. We have been to Oregon and Northern California. maybe Washington and Montana?