Menu

Hive you did so well last time.... I need present ideas again !!!

Um_2_4

OK, so this time I need an idea for a present to take to a newlyweds house when we go visit...

Here's the background: They had the wedding in another state and came back home (he lived here pre-marriage). This his 2nd marriage, so he has a fully equipped house (like really equipped, I was friends with his previous wife, so I've worked in their kitchen, pretty at home in the house etc.). They are older (40s-50s) and have no kids (nor will they, long story). And he is the type to buy pretty much whatever he wants ($ not really an issue, not a millionaire, but not struggling). He owns his own business, likes antiques, collects a bunch of stuff, lives on a hobby farm. I don't know her at all.

So among my group, when a couple marry and then move back home, families visit and bring a present to the new couple if they didn't attend the wedding. Typically serving pieces, something for the kitchen, frames, decorative items, tea sets, etc. I want an idea other than those.....

Here's what's near me: Target, BB&B, Ross, TJ Maxx ....I could order from Amazon if 1 day is available for that item. We are visiting on Thursday evening.

No GCs/cash. ETA: No alcohol, pork products (ie bacon) as they are observant Mulsims like us.  ;)

Maybe something edible? Good chocolates in a pretty bowl? Not fruit, he has a huge orchard growing and we usually leave with a bag of fresh fruit when we visit.

What brands chocolate would you pick if you went that route?

Maybe some nice teas/varieties and cute his/her mugs if I could find them? I would decorate them, but no time to do it.

Edited by Um_2_4

I know that you don't know the new bride, but do you know if your friend enjoys playing games?  If so, perhaps you might give a two person game.

A couple of suggestions:

Quarto

Bananagrams

If you think they might enjoy playing a game with several friends, I'd suggest Wise and Otherwise.

It's a favorite of ours for four players and up.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

At one of my bridal showers, someone gave me a bunch of packages of pretty (disposable) cocktail napkins. I couldn't believe how often they came in handy! Another alternative if you can find it might be disposable hand towels for a guest bath. I love giving monogrammed ones, but plain is fine. Occasionally I see them in stores with an initial on them.

• Like 1

I think nice chocolates are a good idea.  Do you have a local candy store? My first choice would be to go to a small candy store and pick pick out a dozen truffles and a few other things - maybe make your own chocolate tower - or some chocolate covered strawberries.  Sometimes Costco has pretty chocolate towers. 

Or if she's new to the area, you could make a little gift basket of local fun - gift card to the theater, gift card to a local ice cream shop, loaf of special bread from a local bakery, maybe a bread cutting board, some other little items or gift cards that are local to you.  All in a nice basket with pretty linen hand towels.

I think that sounds like a nice tradition to welcome a new couple!  

How about a bouquet of flowers in a nice vase?  If they do not like the flowers, well, they will die soon (flowers, not the newlyweds ha!) and they can re-use the vase. Or the box of decent good chocolates - even if they do not wish to eat them, they can offer them to guests. 

Edited by JFSinIL

I would be very inclined to do chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. You can make up the strawberries right before you leave. Buy a pretty cut-glass bowl to place them in, tie it up with stiff wrapping cellophane (should be available at target, if not you can use regular wrapping paper and staple it closed to help keep humidity out), and tie with a big bow. Since they do not consume alcohol, you can use Welch's Sparkling White Grape juice (available at many of the larger supermarkets) instead. It tastes great, and is a wonderful non-alcoholic "wine" or "champagne". If you want to get fancy and you have time, order a couple of engraved goblets to include with the gift.

I know that you don't know the new bride, but do you know if your friend enjoys playing games?  If so, perhaps you might give a two person game.

A couple of suggestions:

Quarto

Bananagrams

If you think they might enjoy playing a game with several friends, I'd suggest Wise and Otherwise.

It's a favorite of ours for four players and up.

Regards,

Kareni

Target used to sell popular board games in really nice sets--each game looked like a book on a shelf. It don't know if Target still has them, but we've given those for gifts--they were appreciated.

• Like 1

I wouldn't care if you put the chocolate in a bowl. I would be fine with the box :laugh: One of our favorite chocolates to receive is Hawaiian Host chocolate covered Macadamia nuts. Part of the reason they are a real treat for us is they are mailed once a year from a relative in Hawaii. I have also seen them in the Commissary when I tagged along as a guest. They are on Amazon, but I am sure there are other chocolates you could find in person.

I like the idea of utilizing a local place. We used to sometimes go to a local shop and give visitors "Mississippi Mud." It was some kind of dessert sold in a jar I think.

Consumables seems the way to go... but then again I'm in the midst of trying to declutter :)