Menu

What to do with 17 hard cooked eggs--OR--would you eat this?

ThisIsTheDay

I lost track of the time they were on the stove while cooking, I panicked and took them off of the stove too soon.  The middle of the yolk is cooked but just barely.  My original plan was to pickle them, but I'm reluctant to let them sit for 5-7 days even in pickling liquid because of the yolks.

Other than devilled eggs and egg salad, what can I do with 17 hard cooked eggs over the next day or two?  There are only three of us at home this week!!!

OR do you think they'd still be okay if I were to pickle them?

We eat as many as we can when we have too many eggs, but once they become rubbery, I give them to the dogs. Hard boiled eggs are their absolute favorite treat and they come running when they hear one being peeled.

I wouldn't think they'd be a problem being pickled because the vinegar is a preservative, but I've never pickled anything. 

• Like 1

This is unusual enough to do, and I have all of the ingredients. (I don't actually have garam masala, but I can mix up something similar.)  I'm game!  One person here will at least want to try it; the other person will think we're nuts! I've never heard of these before.

And surely my dog will love a few plain eggs.  :)

I think they are an Eastern thing, or a western PA thing?

Pickled Eggs

12 hard cooked eggs, peeled

2 cans of pickled sliced beets

Put the eggs in a pitcher or bowl.  Cover with beets and juice, covering eggs entirely.  Refrigerate for at least two days.

Of course you can do your own pickling, but this is what we did when I was a kid.  It works!

• Like 3

Pickled Eggs

Put the eggs in a pitcher or bowl.  Cover with beets and juice, covering eggs entirely.  Refrigerate for at least two days.

Of course you can do your own pickling, but this is what we did when I was a kid.  It works!

So do they take on a distinctive taste that way? 

Pickled Eggs

We almost always had a jar of pickled eggs in our fridge growing up- made just like you posted.  Mom and Dad were born and raised in Pennsylvania.   Gosh I haven't eaten one in years. I know Dad has a jar in his fridge- now I want one!

• Like 2

(I don't actually have garam masala, but I can mix up something similar.)

A very simple "Sheesh, I don't wanna grind my own spices!" garam masala can be made by combining pre-ground cloves, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and nutmeg. Cardamom is good too. Just combine in  the proportions that seem right. Not too much cumin, and you can skip it if you don't have it. I believe this is the recipe used in the book.

If you want some veggies to go along with it, I suggest cauliflower roasted with garlic and salt, with fresh cilantro added after you take it out of the oven.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

We'd just eat them over the course of the next few days. Sliced on bread, of just as snacks.

I'm getting ready to hard boil eight eggs to take on a hike tomorrow - they will be gone by noon.

I'm not sure why you would not be able to let them sit - even completely raw, eggs would keep for several weeks.

Edited by regentrude

So do they take on a distinctive taste that way? 

Yes, but they don't taste as much like beets as you'd think. They still sort of taste like eggs, but better. And they turn a lovely purple color, too! :)

http://www.craftycookingmama.com/red-beet-eggs/

OP, I would still beet pickle them. I think they'll be fine and firm up in the brine.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you would not be able to let them sit - even completely raw, eggs would keep for several weeks.

Eggs keep well when completely raw. However, once you cook them, you destroy the cuticle so they do not last as long.

Additionally, while it is generally considered safe to leave raw eggs at room temperature in Europe, you're advised not to do this in America because American eggs are washed.

Eggs keep well when completely raw. However, once you cook them, you destroy the cuticle so they do not last as long.

Additionally, while it is generally considered safe to leave raw eggs at room temperature in Europe, you're advised not to do this in America because American eggs are washed.

Totally freaked me out when we moved to Belgium...all those eggs not being refrigerated!!! .....but I got used it....

• Like 1

Maybe a soup recipe that calls for hard boiled eggs? My brother serves his gumbo with eggs and I've seen ramen and even fish pie recipes that add a hard boiled egg. You could serve chef's salads for one meal. Or make the most of it and reheat them gently in simmering water and serve them sliced over English muffins with hollaindaise sauce . . . of course that gets you into more eggs . . .

• Like 1

Well, we did TRY these, although I don't think I'll make them again!  I also made Khatta Aloo to go with them--eggs and potatoes, right?!  The potatoes were pretty good but boring, so we topped them with some of the egg sauce.  The potatoes got even better when I chopped up my vinegared eggs and ate them with the potatoes.  For someone in the know, it's probably a horrible mix of Indian food, like eating sardines with sloppy joes, but we figured it was just another version of scrambled eggs mixed with hash browns. :lol: :lol:

I was very glad to use up some of those eggs, and all of the other ingredients were already handy.  Thank you for the suggestion, as I always enjoy making and trying new foods!

Edited by ThisIsTheDay