Menu

Things to see in Vancouver?

OnMyOwn

We're going to be taking a family trip in June and will be staying in Vancouver for 2 nights before leaving on an Alaskan cruise.  This is with 2 teens?  Does anyone have suggestions for what we should do in Vancouver and where we should stay?  I'd like to spend no more than $200/night for the hotel.  Thanks!

there are more  than two days worth of suggestions:

UBC campus - very good first people's exhibit.  (the one in victoria is better).

the chinese gardens

Stanley park - old growth forest in the middle of the city.  good aquarium

queen  Elizabeth park   (has a nice view overlooking the city too.)

science world

macmillian space center

capillano suspension bridge

china town (especially if you like good Chinese food. the suburb of Richmond has a very large Chinese population, and even mcD's serve's rice balls.)

Granville island - very touristy

• Like 3

We're doing the same thing with 2 teens in June! We are planning on doing the suspension bridge and then Stanley Park/aquarium for our one full day, maybe renting bikes for Stanley Park. If it was just dh and me, or just me, I could get more in, but I've learned that traveling with my teens means planning a bunch of stuff and then getting to about half of it. That's okay, I'd rather have them around since who knows how many more trips we will be able to do together. Sniff, sniff.

I'm not home right now, but I'll look up the hotel we are staying at when I get back. We decided to stay closer to the airport and take the skytrain in for sightseeing and to the pier since it was cheaper.

Edited to add we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Airport, Richmond.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1

there are more  than two days worth of suggestions:

UBC campus - very good first people's exhibit.  (the one in victoria is better).

the chinese gardens

Stanley park - old growth forest in the middle of the city.  good aquarium

queen  Elizabeth park   (has a nice view overlooking the city too.)

science world

macmillian space center

capillano suspension bridge

china town (especially if you like good Chinese food. the suburb of Richmond has a very large Chinese population, and even mcD's serve's rice balls.)

Granville island - very touristy

Love these, and remember them from my youth!  We also went up the gondola on Grouse Mountain. That was really fun. We saw a marmot. ;)  

I went to a really cool covered marketplace near the water/harbour, but I don't remember the name of it. ETA: I just found it on-line; it's on Granville Island.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! The suspension bridge sounds great. I'm definitely going to look into that and all the other ideas you've listed, including the Holiday Inn Express. I'm going to have to look into the sky train, too. This is a longer trip for us, so we won't have just one small bag each like we usually do and I am trying to figure out the logistics of getting our luggage from place to place without spending a fortune on taxis.

Is Vancouver pretty walkable? If we stayed in the downtown area, would it be worth it? I love just walking around in the city and seeing what's there.

Downtown Vancouver is very walkable. If you're staying downtown, you can take the skytrain from the airport into the city. There's room on that train for luggage. We are further out in one of the burbs but when we fly, we take skytrain to the airport. If you can carry one & wheel one (or you have stackables) it's very doable. It's only a couple hundred paces from the Waterfront skytrain station to the cruise ship terminal. 

• Like 2

And is there no charge or a minimal charge for this? Capilano looks neat, but it's almost $40/adult.

Lynn Canyon is a provincial park, so it's always been free. I haven't been in a few years, and it's possible they've instituted a small charge or a parking charge. Even if they have, it will be much, much cheaper than Capilano. I like it better--and not just because it's free!

• Like 2

There is no charge to visit Lynn Canyon park or walk the bridge or the trails. 

There is no parking fee at the lots. They do however fill up very quickly so if you're driving, come early in the morning. 

There is a small ecology center & that has admission by donation. They frequently do little walking tours as well. Also there is a small cafe. 

Gf options are pretty easy to find in Vancouver. Almost any restaurant can accomodate gf & we have gf bakeries etc.

There's a donut shop downtown called Cartems which has gf & vegan donuts. 

Nuba restaurant in Gastown is Middle Eastern food & has gf options (as well as veg & omni) 

But even our big pizza chain Panago has a gf crust now so you can get pizza delivered to your hotel room if you are hungry at night :) 

Gf options are pretty easy to find in Vancouver. Almost any restaurant can accomodate gf & we have gf bakeries etc.

There's a donut shop downtown called Cartems which has gf & vegan donuts.

Nuba restaurant in Gastown is Middle Eastern food & has gf options (as well as veg & omni)

But even our big pizza chain Panago has a gf crust now so you can get pizza delivered to your hotel room if you are hungry at night :)

Fabulous! My son will be happy about that. I will check out Nuba. Thanks again for all your help. I truly appreciate you and everyone who has taken the time to reply.