Menu

Arthritis and meloxicam

Scarlett

I have been suffering from joint pain, mostly in my hands for close to a year.  I have some damage in pinky and ring finger of right hand.  So I went to the doctor in January and he tested me for rheumatoid and gout--both negative.

Put me on Meloxicam....but I don't really feel like it is helping.  I still wake up so stiff I can't hold a cup and even though I take my meds in the morning I am hurting again often before I go to bed.  

Anyone have this experience?  If so did something else work better? 

I have had three kids put on Meloxicam. Two for back issues and one for wrist arthritis. It was like taking a sugar pill for all three. Dd with arthritis has basically been told she is just out of luck and is going to be in pain. Not what you want to hear when you are in your early twenties... Hope you can find something that will work for you.

Edited by Lolly

I have had three kids put on Meloxicam. Two for back issues and one for wrist arthritis. It was like taking a sugar pill for all three. Dd with arthritis has basically been told she is just out of luck and is going to be in pain. Not what you want to hear when you are in your early twenties... Hope you can find something that will work for you.

Honestly ibuprofin seems to work better--600 or 800 mgs when I get to hurting too bad. But they told me not to take ibuprofin with this.  Plus I am hoping to stop further damage to my joints...

And there is a little nagging in the back of my mind that it could be rheumatoid just not showing up yet.  I know I had a friend who was very hard to diagnose with an auto immune type arthritis.   

Ask your doctor for a different drug? Some people respond better to one than another. 

Also, make sure you are taking fish oils, in a decently high dose, to prevent further damage. Chondroiiton Sulfate and Glucosamine are often used, but Fish Oil stops the inflammatory process a few steps sooner. 

Also, maybe it's the placebo effect, but I swear MSM helps me more than anything when mine flares. 

• Like 2

I thought it wasn't doing anything until I skipped it.

If you skip it and can't tell the difference, it's probably not doing anything for you.

Some people with arthritis in the hands get relief from wearing fingerless gloves on a routine basis to keep their hands warm and mobile. YMMV.

• Like 1

So sorry, that's what DH was told in his twenties as well by a doctor. I'm still in a rage each time I think of it. Something to the effect of "well in your profession you won't need your legs". Nice, huh. We changed doctors (to this particular idiot's professor, and I did say something) did all the natural stuff in addition to the horrid stuff (methotrexate) and one day...it went away. DH just picked up skiing this last season in his 30s. I'm sending healing vibes.

Up to 30-40% of women with rheumatoid arthritis are sero-negative. If you are showing inflammation in your labs (sed rate, c-rp, etc.) (which I can't imagine how you couldn't possibly if you already have damage), I'd be pushing, and pushing very very hard to get onto a decent DMARD like plaquenil or methotrexate.

Meloxicam is just a NSAID. 

My RA is in my hands (among other places). The other things that I take that have helped tremendously are a very good quality fish oil (Nordic Naturals ultimate omega) and a very high dose of tumeric.  I so far have been able to avoid joint damage, and a drug switch this year (going onto methotrexate) brought me from moderate daily pain to no pain. I'm back in remission. :)

• Like 1

Up to 30-40% of women with rheumatoid arthritis are sero-negative. If you are showing inflammation in your labs (sed rate, c-rp, etc.) (which I can't imagine how you couldn't possibly if you already have damage), I'd be pushing, and pushing very very hard to get onto a decent DMARD like plaquenil or methotrexate.

Meloxicam is just a NSAID.

My RA is in my hands (among other places). The other things that I take that have helped tremendously are a very good quality fish oil (Nordic Naturals ultimate omega) and a very high dose of tumeric. I so far have been able to avoid joint damage, and a drug switch this year (going onto methotrexate) brought me from moderate daily pain to no pain. I'm back in remission. :)

I second the fish oils and turmeric