Menu

Ideas about poverty and obesity

Laura Corin

I remember that we had powdered milk in the pantry. It was kept for emergencies. I don't remember us ever using it.

We had yellow plastic containers with snap on, blue lids. We'd open the milk packet, put it in, add water, put on the lid and shake. It has a light hint of pale blue in the light.

I use powdered milk in some baking, but my kids have never had to drink it.

Fat people are sometimes ashamed to be seen in public and quite justifiably feel that they are more at risk of being attacked and less able to run away from potential assailants so they are less likely to walk long distances so they get fatter so they become more ashamed and fearful so they get fatter....

My dh hasn't gone to church for years because of his weight.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I have a question about powdered milk. Is there any nutrition to it?  

We did get commodities some while I was a kid.....for some reason it seems like my grandmother got them but we didn't....anyway I never liked the cheese and still can't stomach American cheese although, I do love Rotel dip. so hmmm...who knows.

As far as I can remember we never drank powdered milk.  I would rather have just water.  But I can see if it has some nutrition that people would give it to their kids.   

I have a question about powdered milk. Is there any nutrition to it?

We did get commodities some while I was a kid.....for some reason it seems like my grandmother got them but we didn't....anyway I never liked the cheese and still can't stomach American cheese although, I do love Rotel dip. so hmmm...who knows.

As far as I can remember we never drank powdered milk. I would rather have just water. But I can see if it has some nutrition that people would give it to their kids.

Nutrient wise it's supposed to be okay. It's used in a form to make baby formula too.

I would buy it when we were in bad off times to either cook with or mix with regular milk to stretch it.

I'm with you, it's wasn't palletable to drink in its own. Even ice cold, I always felt it wasted like dirty water.

But I almost never buy milk to drink anyways. I've only offered my babies and kids tap water bc I wanted grocery money to go for meals.

A few years ago I started buying milk and cold cereal bc it just wasn't worth it to me to make a hot breakfast every morning. We really felt we'd moved up the economic ladder to buy milk and cereal for 4-5 days a week. Lol

Edited by Murphy101