Menu

Help! We need a new math program

Cricket

Ds (10) has been using Singapore from the beginning. However, I find myself teaching the same things over and over again because he doesn't remember. It's so frustrating. We can work on a lesson and then two days later he has forgotten. He's the type of kid who will "get it" enough to do the problem he is working on but I can't always be sure he understands the concept. Well, obviously he can't because I have to reteach the concept every time it comes up. (This seems to be a personality thing because in other areas of life we notice that he has a hard time applying what he has previously learned. Dh says he has a hard time "connecting the dots.") A friend loaned us the MUS DVD on division. I think some of those lessons have helped. I don't know if we need a new program or what. Would Saxon be a better fit? I was reading below about the spiral method. Does anyone else have a kid like this and if so, which program works best for you?

My dd is younger (nearly 8), so I don't know what I'll run into when she's 10. But I can tell you I've tried mastery (MUS, Developmental, LifePac) and I've tried spiral (Horizons), and so far BJU Math has worked the best for her. BJU seems a combo of both mastery & spiral. Seems like if we stay on something too long, its overkill, but once we move on, she's forgotten. BJU, so far (knock on wood), seems a nice mix of review while we keep on moving ahead. I haven't tried Saxon, so I'm not sure what that is like. Good luck!

Check out Math on the Level. It's 5-A-Day review system will let you know what sticks and what doesn't and you can slowly move each concept from daily review to up to every 3 weeks - all concepts get reviewed with only 5 math problems per day - TOTAL, not for each concept. Most kids need multiple review to move knowledge into long-term memory and MotL's approach really makes it pain-free for kids.

The best part is meanwhile, your son can move on to learning more concepts and not getting frustrated with the same stuff over and over. Your son obviously has a memory issue and not a math issue and MotL separates out the two and will allow him to learn to his math potential and not be stopped by his memorizing abilities.

Saxon is spiral/incremental -- it doesn't stay on a subject for long at a time, but it will come back to it.

My kids need mastery, because they need longer to learn it before they go on.

We use BJU Math, and we use the review books that are available. They have cumulative reviews in them, as well.

My 12 yo is like this. Math is the worst, but over the summer, she also forgot how to write in cursive! We've tried several math programs, and I've finally concluded that there is not a program that will magically turn the math key in her brain. It's going to just take repetition and overteaching. She just finished Life of Fred Fractions and she did pretty well with it, but she is still struggling to remember everything. So we started over and I'm planning to use more manipulatives to demonstrate the concepts and we're making a math notebook where she will write all the vocabulary and procedures. We're also using the fraction worksheets in Calculadder for extra practice.

Of everything we've tried, Saxon is the least favorite for both of us. She likes Singapore (but we had to use it below grade level and add extra practice), Life of Fred, and Teaching Textbooks.

Ds (10) has been using Singapore from the beginning. However, I find myself teaching the same things over and over again because he doesn't remember. It's so frustrating. We can work on a lesson and then two days later he has forgotten. He's the type of kid who will "get it" enough to do the problem he is working on but I can't always be sure he understands the concept. Well, obviously he can't because I have to reteach the concept every time it comes up. (This seems to be a personality thing because in other areas of life we notice that he has a hard time applying what he has previously learned. Dh says he has a hard time "connecting the dots.") A friend loaned us the MUS DVD on division. I think some of those lessons have helped. I don't know if we need a new program or what. Would Saxon be a better fit? I was reading below about the spiral method. Does anyone else have a kid like this and if so, which program works best for you?

I used TT Math with my dd 11 last year. She really did not do well with it. It did not have enough review for her, and she would forget things. Very frustrating. When my dd used Rod and Staff the year before, she did very, very well with it. It was her first year homeschooling, and Rod and Staff built her confidence in math. It introduces new concepts but continually reviews everything covered previously. We are currently using Singapore, but I still bought Rod and Staff for her in a moment of panic with Singapore. ;) Singapore is great, but it does not have the sort of constant review Rod and Staff has. R & S is a mastery program, but it adds in the review. This constant review was so beneficial for my child.

Best,

Anita

We love love love Rod and Staff math. It has lots of review built in. If you find that it is a little too much review, you can skip a little of it. I would rather have too much review and have to skip some than not enough and have to add, KWIM? If you call Rod and Staff at 1-606-522-4348 you can request a curriculum sample and they will mail it out very quickly for free.

I would look into either Saxon or Horizons. Both incorporate alot of review in each lesson. I've used portions of both programs but have never used them as our main one. I like the way Horizons is set up with a short new section at the beginning of each lesson, it's then applied, and then concepts previously taught are reviewed. I also like that Horizons is a colorful workbook not a textbook.

Just some thoughts.

We just got Rod and Staff math after my ds6 struggling to understand Singapore. So far, we're really impressed with it! I agree, I would rather have the extra review that I have the option of skipping than not have it at all.

Also, if you google Rod and Staff, you will find a website that sells it where you can see sample pages in .pdf format. It can really help you get a feel for it and make a decision.

I hope you find something that works! :)

We dropped Singapore for this same reason. Ds would "get it" while we were doing the chapter, but we'd move on to something else and he would look at the review problems as if he'd never seen anything like it in his life.

He is doing great with Horizons. It introduces new material a little at a time and then reviews constantly. We love it. The only downside is the TM. It is really only worth purchasing for the answer key. We are starting Horizons 4 in a couple of weeks and this hasn't really been a problem yet.

I would recommend Saxon or R&S. My son struggles with Math as well - it's one of those subjects :tongue_smilie:. Last year I tried a mix between Saxon and R&S and it was a huge hit. He FINALLY is getting his facts. He is in 3rd Grade know and we still continue to use both programs. I just alternate between these two on specific days. Let's say Mon-Wen-Fri we use Saxon, Tues and Thur we use R&S. So, maybe you want to look into both. :glare:

Sonja

My dd is 10 and has been a slow starter. She is using R&S Math 4, and she NEEDS the review problems at the end of each lesson.

Also, her brain seems to turn off and on during just one lesson. She'll speed through 5-6 problems spouting off the answers orally and then suddenly she can't remember what 3x1 is. I kid you not! Drives me batty.

Good luck finding the right fit!

I think we will be moving to something else for my DD6 someday.

My DS9 has been using Singapore since 1A/1B and is now in 5A. It works for him for now. Thing is, I have noticed this year that it requires "more" of us. I have to do more teaching, and he has to do more listening, understanding, etc., before we even move on to the Exercises. The HIG has been helpful this year for the first time. We are for the first time ever, keeping a math notebook. I write notes while I'm explaining things to him (our "lesson"), and when done, we pop those notes into a notebook in case he gets to something that he forgets. He has been a little frustrated with it this year b/c he's not "cruising" like he used to. Has to take more time and effort. He's adjusting, slowly but surely. For now, it's OK. We tired a bunch of different programs with him, and they didn't work for what I think is this reason - He can not tolerate too much repetition. If he "gets" a concept, he only needs a problem or two to solidify it. A program like Saxon frustrates him to no end b/c it asks that the student do the same type of problem over and over as practice - he loathes that!

But now on the other hand, my DD6 is doing Saxon 2. Singapore was too fast paced for her, with not enough practice. She likes the ease of Saxon, the variety of types in the practice, and the repetition. It seems to make her feel accomplished to get a whole page of math facts to practice (and get right!). My DS would hate that!

So bottom line is, it might work to switch to a program that has more practice problems, or maybe stick with Singapore but slow down, use the HIG, use the Extra Practice workbook and even supplement with other workbooks.

HTH and GL! - Stacey in MA

I've tried quite a few programs with my youngest. Singapore is what works best for presenting the concepts to her.

But she needs consistent, systematic review, and Singapore doesn't provide that. Right now I am having her work through Daily Math Practice from Evan-Moor along with Singapore and that seems to be working well.