Menu

Personal references

Night Elf

What are my chances of getting a volunteer position at my local library without personal references? I honestly have no non-family person in my life. I have no friends and my last job was in 2010 and I don't even remember the names of people I worked with, let alone numbers for any of them.

• Like 1

I haven't worked in a long time, so I asked my husband what he thought.

He suggested focusing on your experience and what you will bring to the work.  You can talk about the fact that you have been family-focused for the past several years.  Your experience as a home educator is surely relevant.  

Hope it works out for you! 

• Like 1

I haven't worked in a long time, so I asked my husband what he thought.

He suggested focusing on your experience and what you will bring to the work.  You can talk about the fact that you have been family-focused for the past several years.  Your experience as a home educator is surely relevant.  

Hope it works out for you! 

It will completely depend on the person doing the hiring, or their policies. However, I think the bolded is good advice. Explain your lack of references in context to what your life has been for the last several years.

Another option is to use a relative that does not share your last name. If they are willing to state their relationship to you as "friend" rather than as "relative" no one would know. If all they are looking for is a character reference, that might work.

I decided to apply and give it a shot. I'm extremely anxious about it as I haven't worked since 2009. If I get called in for an interview, I'll have to show confidence. I have a clerical background so I can handle shelving books or any other clerical work they may need. I said I was a former homeschooler and am a homemaker and I have time to devote to a volunteer position. I need to put this application in the mail. Goodness, I wish I didn't feel so nervous. They are looking for volunteers for all 4 branches so that surprises me. Usually volunteer positions are hard to come by.

• Like 2

Everything is automated. I have no reason to talk to anyone when I'm there. I didn't think to have someone in my family be my reference. I just left that area blank. I just thought it would be nice to get out of the house once in a while. So if they don't call, I won't be devastated or anything.

• Like 1

I can't imagine any library turning down anyone willing to volunteer.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about a lack of references. I totally understand the anxiety, but try to keep in mind that YOU are willing to help THEM. I have no doubt they've seen their share of moms and homeschoolers and housewives and recent retirees all suddenly with extra time that they would like to put to good use. They will not be surprised that a busy mom doesn't have many outside contacts.

This isn't a job interview. You have lots to offer a library--a knowledge of kids and of current books across many genres, you are organized, literate and you want to help others. Any library should be thankful for volunteers like you. I mean that.

Good luck!!

• Like 2