Menu

Another episode of "Would You Eat This?"

Last night about midnight or so, I put a package of 2 frozen chicken breasts on the edge of the sink. I forgot them until 8 AM. They were thawed, but still cold. I was going to cook them for lunch, but I was hesitant since they'd been out so long, so I put them in the refrigerator, which is where they've been from 8 AM until now.

How about it? Would you cook them tomorrow or throw them out?

Last night about midnight or so, I put a package of 2 frozen chicken breasts on the edge of the sink. I forgot them until 8 AM. They were thawed, but still cold. I was going to cook them for lunch, but I was hesitant since they'd been out so long, so I put them in the refrigerator, which is where they've been from 8 AM until now.

I'd definitely use them. My family has always thawed all of their meat on the counters, with no ill effects. I usually don't do that as a habit, just to err on the safe side, but I do occasionally, and I wouldn't hesitate to eat food that went from frozen to cold-thawed in just 8 hours.

Erica

Okay, I'll be the dissenter :tongue_smilie: ...*I* wouldn't use them - but I'm kinda paranoid about meat, especially chicken.... more than likely, the other ladies are right about it being fine....but since you asked "Would you cook them tomorrow or throw them out?" , I'd have to say that *I* would toss them.

BTDT, still alive and without food poisoning. :D

I'd definitely use them. My family has always thawed all of their meat on the counters, with no ill effects. I usually don't do that as a habit, just to err on the safe side, but I do occasionally, and I wouldn't hesitate to eat food that went from frozen to cold-thawed in just 8 hours.

Erica

This is how my grandma used to do it (counter thaw.)

Usually I'm on the side of eating anything around--but this time, I probably wouldn't. What I *would* have done though, is found them there in the morning, checked to see if they were warm or cool, and if I found them cool I would have immediately cooked them. Putting them back in the fridge after leaving them out...probably not. I'm glad to see that I'm on the conservative side of this one. Sometimes I'm surprised by the things I'd eat that others here wouldn't! :001_smile: