Menu

Raising a service dog

CTmom

We are looking into becoming a puppy raising volunteer for the local guide dogs for the blind program. Has anyone raised a service puppy? I know it will be heartbreaking to give up the puppy, but I think we want to try this. 

My kids are in high school and I am working full time now. We have to take them to weekly classes in the beginning until the puppy is 6months and then every two weeks. What other socialization do we have to do? 

Would love to hear your experiences if you have done this. 

We raised a puppy for a guide dog program a few years ago. He was a wonderful dog, and it was a terrific experience. It definitely was heartbreaking to give him up, but we knew he was going to be doing important work.

I will add that it was a *lot* of work. I would do it again now if I weren't working full-time now. The people in the guide dog organization here were incredibly helpful, and I would definitely talk to your local program about the time commitment. Also, you probably need to work out with your family who is going to responsible for what.

Guide Dogs for the Blind is headquartered in my area, so I know a lot of families that have volunteered. I will echo JeanM about the time commitment. The families that I know who do actual puppy raising/training have a stay at home parent. I really can't imagine how it would work with full time working parents. 

You might also ask about being a respite care provider.

Even though the families I know have been sad to see the dogs go, because it is very much a job to train the dogs, I don't think if felt quite as devastating. From the beginning, you are all actively laboring towards a goal. So reaching the goal is a big deal.

My poor friend is on her 4th dog and none of them have become actual guides, yet. One became a breeder (who has had 10 puppies all go on to be guides), two were adopted out (one had a barking problem and the other kept eating things- like whole socks), and they currently have their 4th. 

• Like 1

I raised several service dogs when I was growing up. It was a fantastic experience and I highly recommend it to anyone with the means (time). Yes, it was hard to give them up, but knowing how much help they were going to be to their new person made it more than worth it.

We used to take ours everywhere--to the grocery, the movies, the mall...it was great. :). The more real life experiences they get, the better.

Good luck!

• Like 1

We did this when my oldest was about 14.  It was a lot of work... much more than working with a regular family puppy. 

Our doggy didn't make it through the program and we had the option of officially adopting her, but we opted not too.  She really needed doggy friends (probably one reason she failed at guide dogging)  and we didn't want to get another dog at that time.  She lived a happy life at a farm in upstate NY with other doggy friends.  I know she was much happier there.

Somehow it wasn't that hard to give her up.  We were a little sad at that moment she went into the other car and drove away, but there wasn't a lot of lingering sadness. We felt bad she didn't make it as a guide dog and I'll always wonder if there was something we did, but we'll never know.  I think having that mentality all along that she wasn't really ours and she would be going to do other things helped prepare us for the day she left us. 

• Like 1

Our previous doggie (she had to be put down a couple years ago) was a service dog. We got her as a rescue puppy of only 8 weeks and she was rehabilitated into being my husband's Post Traumatic Stress dog. Now, I say she was his dog, and anytime we went out and she had to work she totally was. However, at home she was my baby! This was due to the all consuming nature that training her was. She was a full time project and went with me nearly everywhere until she was four or five months old. It was just part of it.

We now take in rescues, and when my husband is ready to commit to another stress dog we will start again. However, I do not think both of us will be able to work while we do. I would have to drastically cut back my hours at work to only one or two dsys max.

My best friend is raising a Companion Dog right now. She is a stay-at-home mom and spends a great deal of the day training to specific guidelines and taking the puppy to specific places to acclimate her to a variety of situations. It is important for the dog to be with people most of the day.

I'm not sure how you would do this with you working and the DC being gone all day?

I have friends who are raising a dog for Fidelco in CT. It seems their primary job is socialization. They have to take the dog EVERYWHERE with them. And they are out and about a lot (two kids in hockey, lol) I would call the company you are interested in working through and see what they have to say, if you haven't already done so.

My daughter has a service dog.  It is even a 'rule' for us that the dog is not alone more then about four hours at a stretch.  Honestly, I do not think it would work to be a puppy raiser working full time UNLESS you are allowed to take your dog to work with you.  I am aware of puppy raisers that do this.  

That said, we know many puppy raisers including our dog's.  They are a vital part of the the dogs training.  G and J, our puppy raisers are like family to us now.  They keep up with my daughter and of course, her or 'their' dog.  Her dog has given her confidence and independence we know she would not have otherwise.   It is one of the greatest gifts you can give to someone.   Her dog was actually part of a hybrid program so she was raised in a prison during the week and by G and J on the weekends for the socialization.  Might be another option for you.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback. I work out of home, but DH does a lot of work at home and on days that he has to go to his office, he usually leaves after 1pm. My kids get home by 3, so the dog would be alone for 2 hours. We will be attending a class this week to see what the requirements are and if they feel that one person has to be a stay at home parent, then I am sure they will let us know.

zimom - thanks for prison program tip. will look into that also. Maybe thats a better option to begin with. Will also look into the Fidelco program

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback. I work out of home, but DH does a lot of work at home and on days that he has to go to his office, he usually leaves after 1pm. My kids get home by 3, so the dog would be alone for 2 hours. We will be attending a class this week to see what the requirements are and if they feel that one person has to be a stay at home parent, then I am sure they will let us know.

zimom - thanks for prison program tip. will look into that also. Maybe thats a better option to begin with. Will also look into the Fidelco program

I think in the beginning, they don't even want them alone for two hours. We are doing it now, and there are recommendations about how long you can leave them, depending on their age. In our group, the people who work full-time have someone to care for the puppy during the day. 

There are rather a lot of rules to follow, since it's not the same as raising a family pet, but the goal is a happy, healthy, well-adjusted dog.

About the socialization, they want the pups to go almost everywhere in an age appropriate manner, and there are guidelines for that, too, the only exceptions are restaurants and food stores.

It's a lot of work, but I love it. My dd is the primary puppy raiser.

• Like 2

We are looking into becoming a puppy raising volunteer for the local guide dogs for the blind program. Has anyone raised a service puppy? I know it will be heartbreaking to give up the puppy, but I think we want to try this. 

My kids are in high school and I am working full time now. We have to take them to weekly classes in the beginning until the puppy is 6months and then every two weeks. What other socialization do we have to do? 

Would love to hear your experiences if you have done this. 

Unless you work from home, you wouldn't be allowed to foster a puppy from the association we are involved in (Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind). They require an adult (18 years) at home with the puppy. 

The puppy will eventually be able to come to your workplace - at least in theory. A lot depends on the individual puppy and your work environment. The puppy may not be ready to be in an office situation until it is 1 - 2 years old. It takes many more months than you'd initially think before puppies are mature enough to "go places" such as stores, offices, public transport, etc. And even then, you could be the lucky "mom" of a puppy who is a late bloomer. 

An alternative to fostering a puppy, is to foster a breeding dog from a service dog association. They need volunteer families for intact males and bitches, and the bonus is you get to keep the dog for several years. The dogs are also older by the time you'd get them, and they're also well socialized with basic obedience. It's a lot less pressure.  We have a male dog for the breeding program, and our second "service dog in training" puppy just went on to his formal training. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1