Menu

I need a world History that can be done mostly independently.

The high school OM guides aren't as easy to find used, and they're not much cheaper than just buying them new when I do find them. That main textbook however, is much cheaper on the used market.

I suggested OM because it is laid out well, read this, do that, and simple enough for a kid to drive on their own. It has options for a DC to choose from for assignments, so it's easy to personalize for strong preferences or dislikes.

• Like 2

I would choose something that has pre-made quizzes, tests, worksheets, etc. I suspect SWB Ancient History may fit the bill with the companion book but I haven't seen it. I am sure there are samples.

Alternatively, abebooks.com has tons of textbooks and you can usually find the accompanying teacher's resource book with tests and whatnot. Ideally textbooks, depending on subject should be within past 5 years.

My kids do history largely independently. We use a regular history text, Short History of Western Civ by Harrison ( recommended in WTM) for DD, Spielvogel for DS. They read, take notes, and comprehend.

I do not use premade questions, quizzes, worksheets or other types of busywork.

We add copious amounts of Great Courses lectures they can listen to independently as well.

Output are essays.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

My kids do history largely independently. We use a regular history text, Short History of Western Civ by Harrison ( recommended in WTM) for DD, Spielvogel for DS. They read, take notes, and comprehend.

I do not use premade questions, quizzes, worksheets or other types of busywork.

We add copious amounts of Great Courses lectures they can listen to independently as well.

Output are essays.

I agree with this too except when someone seems to be having comprehension problems and test taking problems. In that case, a student IMHO would benefit from quizzes and tests and possibly worksheets.

OP I have not followed all your threads but this popped into my mind.

http://allinonehighschool.com/world-history/

My kids have not used it but I found it here on the boards.

Seems laid out with links.Again I cannot comment on the quality but just throwing it out there for you.

I know a family that did all their social studies with time4learning High school. 

The mom said it got the job done.

My Ds did Oak meadow and DD will probably follow that path.

I did what silvermoon suggested got the text used and bought the rest from OM I think they have a sale sometime in Apr or May.

SilverMoon....is the book your referring to the Glencoe World History? and then the guide would be the Teacher's manual? They state on the site that they are no longer printing the manual and may or may not have more copies.

I bet you could guides on abebooks. You just have to make sure it is right edition. Sometimes publisher will still have info on older textbooks.

Notgrass' Exploring World History...

Christian perspective.  A broad sweep (not in depth), but the extra readings with source documents, poetry, hymns and folk songs, etc., flesh out the information in the textbook. 

Thirty units (thirty weeks) of five lessons each.  Four of those lessons are about history, fifth lesson is Biblical application/worldview related.  (The unit on WWI and WWII is followed by a lesson on the Scriptural view of peace.)  You could skip the fifth lesson each week if needed.

Each unit is followed by a short quiz over the history material, and each fifth unit is followed by a test.

There are also Bible tests and "English" tests over the novels and biographies recommended in the text, but you don't have to do those.

I used to want something more rigorous for my kids, but they complete the lessons independently and they've learned a lot.  We have enjoyed Notgrass.

:001_smile:

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 2

SilverMoon....is the book your referring to the Glencoe World History? and then the guide would be the Teacher's manual?  They state on the site that they are no longer printing the manual and may or may not have more copies. 

It looks like it's the student text that is out of print, but used copies are readily available. Here's the OM TM. This is the OM guide that goes with this student textbook. The latter is less than $10 shipped in the used section.

Edited by SilverMoon

Notgrass' Exploring World History...

Christian perspective.  A broad sweep (not in depth), but the extra readings with source documents, poetry, hymns and folk songs, etc., flesh out the information in the textbook. 

Thirty units (thirty weeks) of five lessons each.  Four of those lessons are about history, fifth lesson is Biblical application/worldview related.  (The unit on WWI and WWII is followed by a lesson on the Scriptural view of peace.)  You could skip the fifth lesson each week if needed.

Each unit is followed by a short quiz over the history material, and each fifth unit is followed by a test.

There are also Bible tests and "English" tests over the novels and biographies recommended in the text, but you don't have to do those.

I used to want something more rigorous for my kids, but they complete the lessons independently and they've learned a lot.  We have enjoyed Notgrass.

:001_smile:

I looked at this earlier and sort of set it aside because I didn't want the Bible or the Literature part...can I just do the History or is it all so mixed together that it would be very hard to separate it?

opps....i missed the answers to those questions.  Sorry.

Edited by NEprairiemom

(adding my experience this year with doing notgrass just for history even if the question was answered )

With Notgrass, it's easy to just the history.  That's what I'm using with my youngest.   There are parts in the Bible lesson (which is every 5th lesson) that show up on the quiz, so we make sure to read through that but it's not a big deal so far.    Some parts the history and bible history are connected enough that it's like the scripture is "primary source document".  Example, the unit on life of Jesus has readings from Gospel of Luke as a primary source, and then growth of church history as world history there is some reading from Acts.    The literature is quite easy to skip.    We're reading the lesson, answering the 10 or so questions.  Have quiz on Friday.   Since I had timeline and map from previous students we are adding that in for her as well.   And I have a "picture based encyclopedia" also from older children (DK history of world) to add some pictures and color.     

ps:  In my example, I'm talking about the edition printed prior to 2014. 

Edited by cbollin

Another vote here for Notgrass.  Dd is doing Exploring World History and loves it. We use it for 1 history credit and 1/2 Bible. We have a separate curriculum for English/lit.  

Short Lessons in World History is super easy and concise.  It is *not* rigorous or deep.  But it includes quizzes and worksheets.  15 chapters, easy to do a chapter a week.  DD did a very thorough World History in 8th grade.  She hates history, and we are doing this short one for high school .5 credit.

One more vote for Notgrass!  This is our first year using it, both America the Beautiful (middle school) and Exploring World History.  It is easy to use, and lots of resources are online, like a schedule you can use to track work done.  

I agree with Notgrass. My son does it independently, and I have the grade key to sit and check his answers. The extra readings in the book of primary sources fleshes it out nicely. We don't do the extra bible reading/memorization, or the bible tests. He does do the lit part but it would be easy to leave out. 

Here's link to info on the differences in editions of notgrass.   I have the one with the "non spiral binding" but before 2014.   In other words, black and white photos instead of color.

http://www.notgrass.com/notgrass/exploring-world-history-2014.html

My oldest and middle dd used this edition as part of their mfw curriculum.  Youngest is using it as stand alone (with the maps/timelines to give her more to interact with).    From the description linked above I didn't see a need to get the newer version with changes in column formatting. 

Some stuff was added in most modern times.  (edit to add) I'm not sure how much without comparing table of contents a little later.

Color photos.   

Other things that were added are available as downloads on the link I gave.  I'm guessing they were thinking if families like mine already have the older edition and just wanted upgrades, then the big ones were there to order. 

Hope that helps  a bit as you consider what to purchase.

Edited by cbollin

If you use the 2014 version of Notgrass, the History/Bible/English quizzes & tests are all separate, so you can easily do just the history part of the course. We use the quizzes and tests and it has not been a problem.

• Like 1