Menu

Going in circles researching Pre-Algebra. Help, please!

zoobie

If you've gone this far with MM, why not just finish it out with MM7A/B? 

That's one option. I don't know whyyyyyyyy! I don't own it, so I'd have to buy it, and if I'm buying again, maybe there's some mythical curriculum that's the unicorn of pre-algebra. You know?  :leaving:

• Like 2

I assume you've already obsessed over this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/342798-pre-algebra-fence-straddlers-master-thread/page-6?hl=%2Bpre%26amp%3B%238208algebra+%2Bfence&do=findComment&comment=6275119

We've used at least a dozen resources so I'm not one to make any recommendations, but that's how we've done math since one day. I start with something, supplement when necessary, and switch to something else entirely.

I have MM 7, and to be honest, we're not MM fans, but if it's worked for you so far, I would just start with it

Horizons prealg could work. Wordy is not a word I'd ever use to describe it. The lessons are fairly short, one double sided page per day. Usually the front side introduces the new concept with examples and practices it, and the backside is has a few old concepts. New concepts are in good bite-size pieces, and the old concepts are spiraled through often enough to keep them fresh. The pages are clean and uncluttered and it's super easy to use.

If she likes it they also have an algebra book out now, but they haven't published geometry yet. My Horizons prealg users will go different paths for algebra (AoPS and Jacobs are the current plans).

That's one option. I don't know whyyyyyyyy! I don't own it, so I'd have to buy it, and if I'm buying again, maybe there's some mythical curriculum that's the unicorn of pre-algebra. You know?  :leaving:

Unicorn of pre-algebra!  HAHAHAHAHA!  We are in the same boat!  LOL.  I thought I had gotten over the "This small decision will make or break my child's academic life forever!" new homeschool mom thing, but now we're running out of SM books and I'm right back to that panic again!  

• Like 1

We used AoPS for PreAlgebra in some cases, and LoF PreAlgebra for others.  Yours might not like LoF books because they are definitely wordy, but my less mathy kids loved them because they are nice and slow and do an awesome job of explaning everything.  I also liked how the LoF PreAlgebra books taught much more than just math - the way they integrate biology and economics.  It really worked for us.

AoPS is less wordy, but much more challenging.  Great for my more mathy kids.  We use AoPS for everyone from Algebra on, but some of my kids needed a gentler on-ramp.

We did Singapore up through 5 or 6 for all of them. 

• Like 1

FWIW, (like I said, I'm in the same boat as you!) my plan is to finish SM6, then move in to NEM from SM.  The reason is because I want an integrated all/geo approach.  They still sell the first two books, and if it is working, I'll get the 3&4 from amazon used.  The scope and sequence is quite different from US high school math progression though, so you have to be willing to stick it out.  According to the SM website, you can go to Alg 2 after NEM2, but will still have a few geometry gaps.  

• Like 1

While we really like AoPS prealg too, it's VERY wordy. There are often 4 page lessons for a whopping 10 or less problems at the end of the lesson.

LoF is all words for ten problems too.

My prealg level kids have used a few parts of the older combined alg/geo MUS book 8Fills mentioned this year too (it's out of print, but it still floats around used booksales). It was very accessible for them. These pages just have twenty problems on them. Once a week there's a video and/or teacher presentation to teach the new concept. Fwiw, a kid who's used MM all along would probably find the prealg to be too simplistic. There's a placement test on their website if you're unsure.

• Like 1

While we really like AoPS prealg too, it's VERY wordy. There are often 4 page lessons for a whopping 10 or less problems at the end of the lesson.

LoF is all words for ten problems too.

My prealg level kids have used a few parts of the older combined alg/geo MUS book 8Fills mentioned this year too (it's out of print, but it still floats around used booksales). It was very accessible for them. These pages just have twenty problems on them. Once a week there's a video and/or teacher presentation to teach the new concept. Fwiw, a kid who's used MM all along would probably find the prealg to be too simplistic. There's a placement test on their website if you're unsure.

I agree with the bolded 100%.  My kids find the MUS alg/geo incredibly accessible.  I don't have a problem with them having nothing but pure success their first go round through alg.  For my kids, 2 yrs of alg (once with MUS and once with Foerster) has led to nothing but positive upper math experiences.  They are 100% confident in their math concepts.  

(My current 8th grader is almost finished with Foersters.  She is my 100% artsy, creative child.  She is rock solid in alg. This is definitely not b/c she is like her engineering and physics/math geek brothers. :) )

• Like 1

I agree with the bolded 100%. My kids find the MUS alg/geo incredibly accessible. I don't have a problem with them having nothing but pure success their first go round through alg. For my kids, 2 yrs of alg (once with MUS and once with Foerster) has led to nothing but positive upper math experiences. They are 100% confident in their math concepts.

(My current 8th grader is almost finished with Foersters. She is my 100% artsy, creative child. She is rock solid in alg. This is definitely not b/c she is like her engineering and physics/math geek brothers. :) )

So you skipped pre-algebra and did MUS Algebra?

DD11 finished MM6 this year and I bought MM 7, AOPS, and Dolciani. She read the first section of AOPS and begged me for it. It's been the best decision I could've ever made. Yes, she KNEW her stuff with MM but now she's having so much fun and being appropriately challenged. Not one second of her hour of math a day is "wasted" and I couldn't say that with MM.

I wouldn't recommend AoPS pre-alg for a dyslexic. It is a very word heavy text. My dyslexic loved AoPS, but he didn't start using them until the intermediate book. He had zero transition problems from Foerster's to AoPS. My current 11th grader used Foerster's alg and then AoPS alg, Definitely overkill. I wouldn't recommend that approach, either.

• Like 1

We tried AoPS Pre-A after SM in an attempt to find the Prealgebra unicorn 😂 It wasn't working out here - waaaay too wordy for my kiddo. We will be starting SM Dimensions 7a on Monday and praying it's a better fit! We both really liked the idea of AoPS but the layout of it was just too much reading and not enough problem solving for us.

I'm going through the same anxiety right now. We did MM 1-6, the old version. I've heard so many times not to jump around with math. Pick one and stick to it but adapt. I don't want to jump around in the higher math's either. I'd like a straight progression that I don't have to think each year about what to do next. But my kid likes Beast so we can move onto AoPS to solve this.

For you, I'm wondering if Saxon would be your relief? Test to see where to start. Lots of problems. No more thinking from here to graduation (hopefully) :lol:

I think Pre-algebra is a good time to switch if MM doesn't continue on up. We did Horizons 1-6, and then moved into Math-U-See Prealgebra. (I would do the placement tests if you use MUS--I've heard of kids from Horizons 6 placing in various places, so I wouldn't assume anything about the MUS levels or any other program you switch to--always use the placement tests when switching.)

Teaching Textbooks also seems to work for a lot of kids who have math struggles, so that's another I'd consider (I showed demos of both to my oldest and let him choose the one he liked best). We've used MUS for all of high school and been very pleased with it. But definitely get your student's feedback and find out what kinds of features help her learn best. Then, also consider what you need as a teacher (just as important!)