Menu

Why Latin [I]and[/I] Greek?

Does anyone teach both Latin and Greek? Why did you choose to teach both of them? Do you also teach a modern language? We have already decided that we want to teach Latin and Spanish, but I'm still pondering about Greek. Thanks!

I am teaching both Latin and Greek, and plan to add Spanish, as well.

To be honest, we're doing it because I want to :) I believe strongly in the benefits of Latin, and I think Greek is really, really cool and fun. For a more practical reason, many of the words in our modern language come from Greek roots. If you know Latin and Greek, your vocabulary will be truly excellent :)

We teach Latin right now and will go into Greek and Spanish in about two years. Latin is for vocabulary and grammar as well as training the brain to think with logical sequence. Our reasons for Greek stem from wanting to learn the original text of the New Testament. When our pastor uses the greek words that are found in the text, the meanings are usually much deeper than what our English words express. It sheds a greater light on the Word of God.

Edited by Alenee

I'm happy to see that others are teaching multiple languages. I'd teach 10 if I thought we'd have the time and energy. Does anyone else teach three or more languages?

Not yet, but we will be. DD the Elder is learning Latin and Spanish. She wanted to start French this fall, but I managed to talk her into finishing Spanish Level 2 first. The Spanish programs we use require little input from me (I'm doing it with her, but that's my choice). The main program is The Learnables, which we can use for French as well.

We're doing Latin now; DD is just learning chants and stuff, and I'm teaching myself via Latin Book One. Then in a couple of years I plan to add Greek. Meanwhile, I read the kids a bedtime story in French each night. I don't plan to add French to the school day, however, until they are older and can really formally work through it independently. And if they prefer a different modern language at that point, I'm open to that as well. :001_smile:

ETA: Oops! Yours was more of a "why" question. As for me...see Mama Lynx's response. Whew--that was easy! :D For more info re the benefits/importance of Latin and Greek, see Andrew Campbell's website and book and also Climbing Parnassus. TWTM also addresses the value of Latin, as you probably know.

Edited by laylamcb

My son has been doing Latin and Spanish for a couple of years and added Greek this year.

Why?

Well, we do Latin for all the reasons people always quote: good brain training, great for vocabulary, relationship to many modern languages, fun to be able to translate "ancient stuff."

He's learning Spanish because I think every well educated American should speak at least one modern language other than English. He chose Spanish, and that's easiest for me, because that's what I studied in high school and college.

He started Greek this year because we're doing ancient history, and I thought he'd have fun with it. I don't know yet whether we'll continue in coming years. I suspect he'll want to keep going, although probably at a lighter, slower pace than with the other two languages.

To be honest, we're doing it because I want to :) I believe strongly in the benefits of Latin, and I think Greek is really, really cool and fun. For a more practical reason, many of the words in our modern language come from Greek roots. If you know Latin and Greek, your vocabulary will be truly excellent :)

We started with both languages this year, although we are only doing the Greek alphabet right now.

We have done introduction to Spanish and French in the past and plan on doing them again in the future.

We are teaching both Latin & Greek in our homeshool because after reading Climbing Parnassus by Simmons, my DH and I felt that this was the classical education approach that we wanted to emulate in our homeschool.

Right now, I don't plan to teach a modern foreign language, but if my sons express a desire in high school, then I will look into coop or on-line opportunities for them.

Why? Because it's really fun. Are we weird? My son (9) is on his third year of Latin and just started Greek this year. We did do 1-1/2 years of Spanish but he didn't seem to be making much progress or retaining much so we are taking a break for now. I like Espanol for Chicos y Grandes, though, and we may just go through the book again and see whether it's easier this time.