Menu

We love the Knifty Knitter! Pic inside of hat by dd8

Very cool hat!! And just in time for cooler weather, as well!

We love our Knifty Knitters too. All the kids got a set for Christmas last year, and they've had a good time with them. Hats and scarves: totally do-able, totally wearable afterwards.

The Knifty Knitter kits do make great Christmas gifts! (For anyone wondering about gifts... I think our sets were about $20 each plus some yarn. Keeps the kids busy for hours at a time, too.)

Our local Michaels even has ongoing classes each month to learn to use them and/or go beyond the basics with them. :) I think loom knitting is fun!

Those projects look like so much fun. How hard are they to do? I have never done anything like those, but I think it would be something fun for my dd and I to do this winter.

Jan

Hats and scarves on the knitter are so, so easy. DD has been doing this since she was 7 at least. You just wrap yarn, then lift loops, wrap yarn, lift loops. On and on. lol. They are great. The knitters come with great instructions.

Hats and scarves on the knitter are so, so easy. DD has been doing this since she was 7 at least. You just wrap yarn, then lift loops, wrap yarn, lift loops. On and on. lol. They are great. The knitters come with great instructions.

These sounds like great projects. My dd is 8 and loves crafts. I have been wanting some handicraft projects for us to do together and I think this will be perfect. I did a basic search for knifty knitters and I think I saw a post for a yahoo group, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Jan

Thanks for posting this! My craft loving dd wants to learn to knit so bad but she gets so frustrated. I think I'll put this on her Christmas list!

She could definitely do this. You might have to help her a bit, but it isn't very complicated at all. I remembered that there is one more step that I help dd with--to make the brim, you have to bring the bottom row of knitted loops and re-loop them over the pegs. It really isn't hard, but I do it for her so each loop gets on a peg. It just takes 1-2 minutes to do it, depending on the size of the hat.

Dd has started a scarf on the scarf loom; it is a rectangle shape.

I'm excited for you and the others who are thinking about doing this. I think it is hard for little girls when they want to knit so badly, but just aren't quite ready to. This scratches the itch for a bit. :)

We don't have a Michael's nearby...can I get one at Hobby Lobby? What else can you make with it?

Thanks!

I don't know about Hobby Lobby, but I have seen them at Wal-Mart :)

So far I know you can make hats, scarves, and socks. There are probably other things to make as well. I think you can buy a really long loom for making afghans (did I spell that right?)

The knifty knitters are really fun! You can do different stitches on them besides just the regular wrap and lift. There are a bunch of yahoo groups and sites with stitches and patterns on them. When googling, besides just knifty knitter, also look for "loom knitting", it's the generic label. You can knit flat panels on the round looms as well. I've made a bunch of things with them including dolls and animals. My dd8 likes them too.

Amanda

Another one who loves them! My youngest could do most of it at 6. My two girls have made some for an orphanage in Mexico. They work with migrant workers and it is high enough elevation they really appreciate them. They also made hats for all their friends for Christmas last year.