Menu

Is it possible to set up a Fire to just be an e-reader?

Dmmetler

DD11 has filled her kindle with stuff she doesn't want to delete, and needs more space. Since she reads most of her journal articles on the Kindle, she ends up with a lot of big .PDF files.

Given that the fire is $20 less than the low-end e-reader and that you can add a SD card to the fire, it's really tempting to get a fire for her for books, but I want it to JUST have books. And given the amount of time we spend in the car, a backlit screen might be helpful.

Is this possible?

If you're looking at the newer $50 Kindle Fire that's currently on sale for $39.99, I wouldn't recommend it as a primary reading device. I have a first generation Fire, a Fire HD, and this one, and while I have no problems reading on the other versions, the screen resolution isn't good enough to provide a comfortable reading experience for any extended length of time on the new low resolution Fire. I just pulled up the same book on this new one and my HD for comparison, and the text isn't nearly as clean and crisp. 

I've heard it described as a cheap paperback of tablets, and that sums it up. It's very useful for some situations and applications, but using it for reading would be like reading cheap paperback text. It's readable, and gets the job done, but would strain my eyes much more quickly than a better quality device. Might not be a problem for younger eyes, but I'd go check one out before buying.

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 3

can you do "send to kindle" using Free Time?

No. My kids have Free Time on their kindles, and only the books I bought from Amazon are available to add. I can't add any of the articles or Yesterday's Classics books that I've emailed to my account.

OP, does your dd know she can access books/articles that are on the cloud? I keep a minimal number of books and articles on my kindle, and just re-download them if I want to to read them again.

Edited by TKDmom

If you're looking at the newer $50 Kindle Fire that's currently on sale for $39.99, I wouldn't recommend it as a primary reading device. I have a first generation Fire, a Fire HD, and this one, and while I have no problems reading on the other versions, the screen resolution isn't good enough to provide a comfortable reading experience for any extended length of time on the new low resolution Fire. I just pulled up the same book on this new one and my HD for comparison, and the text isn't nearly as clean and crisp.

I've heard it described as a cheap paperback of tablets, and that sums it up. It's very useful for some situations and applications, but using it for reading would be like reading cheap paperback text. It's readable, and gets the job done, but would strain my eyes much more quickly than a better quality device. Might not be a problem for younger eyes, but I'd go check one out before buying.

That's helpful to know. It just kills me that the Fire is so much cheaper than a Paperwhite. I just bought my dd14 a Paperwhite (she needs to be able to read at night when her little sister is asleep in the same room). I spent more than a few minutes hovering over the Fire, because it's less than half the price.

I have the parental controls on her kindle such that she cannot access the cloud directly, because she doesn't need access to some of the Sci-FI DH reads or some of the mysteries and romances I read, but we can still "send to kindle" to her device.

Move some of her stuff that she wants to keep but not needing immediate access to to the cloud and free up space on her Kindle.