Menu

Car cigarette lighter.

Night Elf

In my car, my outlet where a cigarette lighter would normally go is empty. I bought it used and it didn't come with anything to plug that hole. Should I look for a cigarette lighter or is there just a plug I can get? I found a lighter that said it would fit my car but it shows a wire that comes with it. I don't know what that's about. Wouldn't this outlet just be standard for a cigarette lighter? or is it something else?

There is already an outlet for my phone charger separate from this other outlet. No, I don't need a lighter. I just don't like that lit up hole open.

Yeah, but you can buy another charger and just stick it in there.  We're always needing to have multiple outlets for multiple devices - and then you wouldn't have an open hole.  You can buy them at any drugstore.

No one wants an actual cigarette lighter anymore - what else you going to put in there?  Our car has (multiple) pretend lighter holes that are really just for lighter-shaped chargers that are covered by plastic covers when they don't have chargers in them.

Like this.  

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

I was hoping for a plug of some kind. The outlet where I have my charger has a cap on it that is on a tab so it doesn't fall off when uncapped. The cigarette holder doesn't have that. I'm assuming the previous owner of the car used the outlet for a charger but why they didn't put the lighter or cap or whatever in the glove compartment is beyond me. They must have thrown it out. I just find that weird. Oh well. I'll just leave it open I guess. I don't want to spend $20 on something that might not work.

The USB charger is not going to work unless it is wired into the car's electrical system. It will plug the hole, of course, but I would think you could find a stopper that would do that as well. Whether you can wire in the one you bought will depend on whether the original wiring is still there and you can reach it.

The USB charger is not going to work unless it is wired into the car's electrical system. It will plug the hole, of course, but I would think you could find a stopper that would do that as well. Whether you can wire in the one you bought will depend on whether the original wiring is still there and you can reach it.

???  That lighter socket is how you plug into the car's electrical system.  That's why all the lighter shaped recharger plugs, USB ports that plug into the lighter, and that cool flashlight that recharges there.

People used to plug stuff into the actual cigarette lighter hole, then as less people smoked, they kept the same-shaped receptacle for the lighter-shaped plugs even though there's no more lighter in most cars so they were interchangeable...