Menu

Whole30 - Week of Feb. 8

Pink and Green Mom

Just wanted to start a new thread for the upcoming week for all those doing Whole 30, Whole 40, Whole 60, etc. 

I am on Day 36.  My scale is not moving anymore but I feel so much healthier and "clean".  I am attempting to make some new dish tonight with a "cheese" sauce made out of cashews and cauliflower rice.  I am also making a King Cake for Mardi Gras tomorrow that I hope I can resist.

Day 8 here. Feeling pretty good. I'm tired today but last night was the first night in forever I can remember sleeping straight through - 71/2 hours. I said in the other post I made the buffalo chicken casserole and it was just too much flavor for me to eat all on its own. It was good, but I can't eat it just like that. Too strong. For everyone who loved it - did you use Frank's or Tessemae's sauce? I might try it on some sweet potato fries? It was one of my plans for leftovers this week so I'm hoping it tastes better as it ages! My mom made a batch of vegetable beef soup so I will have that.

B- greens and berry smoothie, sausage potato pepper hash

L- raw veggies and guac, chicken, apple with almond butter

D- vegetable beef soup

Continuing from January 1 here.

Still haven't lost any weight or inches. Still no tiger blood. I do feel less bloated and have clearer sinuses. I completely avoid grains, dairy, and legumes, but have settled on allowing a protein shake with pea protein powder in it, as well as Daiya cheese (pea protein again) on occasion. Allowing myself these minor deviations keeps me from breaking down and eating something much worse when I get overly hungry or deprived feeling. I know it's not really "following the plan", but it's far better than caving and having gf pizza, chips, or even paleo muffins.

I will say that my period is due any day and my skin hasn't broken out at all this month. Usually it breaks out on my chin.

So Day 36. I am having dreadful cravings for sugar and sweets (I don't even like those types of things). And I am exhausted. Is this normal?

That's about how I felt last week. I read on the Whole30 forums that the most intense cravings can happen during weeks 5 and 6 of an extended Whole30. That was certainly true for me. Fortunately, the cravings have passed now and I really wasn't even tempted by the pizza and brownies last night.

• Like 2

Started my Whole 30 today. I'm mainly doing to because I need to retrain myself to eat no sugar and no refined carbs at all, and I want something strict enough to make me stop in hopes that I won't pick up the bad habits again.

With my mom in a skilled care facility and a lot going on in our family, I know I am going to have to find some things I can eat out. Today my meals were:

B - 3 scrambled eggs with approved salsa and half an avocado sliced on top

L (at a Mexican restaurant) was steak fajita lettuce wraps with grilled onion and avocado slices

D - yet to be had and it's getting kinda late

I also did a coffee with some coconut milk and a pinch each of cocoa and cinnamon with a date blended in - strained it off and had it over ice. It was really good.

• Like 2

Day 8 here.  All going well.  

Not particularly hungry in the morning so I've been eating at 10:30 then again at 1:30 and then dinner at 6:30 ish.  And then not eating after that.

That last thing is really a major accomplishment around here.

• Like 1

Day 15 of no soy, no flour, no dairy, and no sugar. What are the results? I have shingles.

Dh offered to get me a pint of pain-relieving ice cream and I'm thinking of making a conscious decision to indulge.

The boys are still doing the plan but we're not seeing the skin results we thought we were earlier. (Allergy detection is what got us started on this endeavor.) Wondering if I need to remove eggs too. Sigh.

All that to say, we're discouraged and losing steam here.

Day 15 of no soy, no flour, no dairy, and no sugar. What are the results? I have shingles.

Dh offered to get me a pint of pain-relieving ice cream and I'm thinking of making a conscious decision to indulge.

The boys are still doing the plan but we're not seeing the skin results we thought we were earlier. (Allergy detection is what got us started on this endeavor.) Wondering if I need to remove eggs too. Sigh.

All that to say, we're discouraged and losing steam here.

I hope you feel better soon.

Started my Whole 30 today. I'm mainly doing to because I need to retrain myself to eat no sugar and no refined carbs at all, and I want something strict enough to make me stop in hopes that I won't pick up the bad habits again.

With my mom in a skilled care facility and a lot going on in our family, I know I am going to have to find some things I can eat out. Today my meals were:

B - 3 scrambled eggs with approved salsa and half an avocado sliced on top

L (at a Mexican restaurant) was steak fajita lettuce wraps with grilled onion and avocado slices

D - yet to be had and it's getting kinda late

I also did a coffee with some coconut milk and a pinch each of cocoa and cinnamon with a date blended in - strained it off and had it over ice. It was really good.

Congratulations on Day 1!

My go to meal at restaurants has been a salad with grilled steak on the top and either no dressing or a little bit of vinegar.  Not terribly exciting but pretty easy to order without feeling like I'm being high maintenance.

I have also ordered crab legs - I figured that is pretty safe (expensive, but safe).

Day 37.  I haven't lost any weight in the past week.  I have had nothing that isn't compliant (except I took two sips of a drink that had a tiny bit of rum mixed with LaCroix water and then casually dumped the rest down the drain).  My scale has gone up 1.5 lbs.

I think I need to eat more, and make sure I eat more vegetables.  And less prosciutto and olives.  I also need to drink more water.  I have been very bad with that lately. 

I made a King Cake last night (we went to New Orleans for vacation last year and bought a mix at the Mardi Gras museum) and it has taken all my willpower not to eat any while the rest of my family makes absolute pigs of themselves.  I didn't even lick my fingers after making the cake.

So, my meals today:

B:  aforementioned prosciutto and olives, one small orange

L:  big salad with baked chicken and buffalo sauce, and a side of strawberries

D:  big salad with roast beef

• Like 1

9th day of my second (almost) Whole 30 

Feeling well this morning, however, I am noticing that I am really hungry in the middle of the night despite not restricting my food intake.  With more energy, I am exercising more but it's irritating to be awaken by a growling stomach. I'm proud of myself for making it through my husband's birthday party without eating any of my daughter's delicious homemade chocolate cake.

B- Eggs & ham

L-Eggplant & greens

S-apples & nuts

D-Turkey sausage & greens

• Like 1

Day 9. Last week I had more energy than this week for some reason. Feeling well otherwise.

I'm sorry about the weight pink and green. I think I've said before that losing weight is my main motivation and I'm hoping this is a good jump start. But I get so discouraged so easily. I have a hard time switching to the long term mindset necessary.

I have weighed myself. I know, I know. I did last time as well. I lost a lot the first week then hardly any for the rest of the time. It makes me think it's more water weight than anything for me. I'm down 5 pounds first week. I need to lose about 30 more so there's plenty of progress to be made. I'm hoping the energy will kick in soon and I'll feel like exercising. I'm still pretty much in sloth mode.

B- prosciutto, potatoes, berry and greens smoothie

L- vegetable beef soup

D- bbq chicken, sweet potato and another veggie.

Need to get more veggies and salads in the mix this week. I've also been eating a small portion of potatoes at almost every meal. Not sure if this is the best idea or not. But it's very satisfying.

• Like 1

I am all done with my W30 but just checking in to give encouragement. I was really worried about falling way off the wagon, and then getting run over by the wagon, and then blowing the wagon up, once I finished, but I am doing fine. I have not gained back any weight, still have energy, and am sleeping well.

I am so sorry, Hyacinth, that you aren't doing well. It is really discouraging to try to do the right thing only to discover that it *might* not be the right thing. I hope you get it sorted out quickly. 

For those of you with a hankering for dessert, here is one we are loving at my house:

One can of coconut milk (or fresh coconut milk if you can get it)

three tablespoons of chia seeds

one cup of small cubes of pineapple (though I think you can use berries if pineapple is hard to come by)

mix together in a jar, put in fridge for three hours, serve.

I was really skeptical when I made it because, as my son pointed out, it looks like frog eggs, but it is light, yummy, easy to make and satisfying. 

• Like 2

So Day 36.  I am having dreadful cravings for sugar and sweets (I don't even like those types of things).  And I am exhausted.  Is this normal?

I've been having them, too, and you're just one day ahead of me.

I also have been waking up hungery the last couple of days, which hasn't happened since I started this.  

Weird.  

• Like 2

Thank goodness I am posting here or else I would have totally fallen off the wagon today.  For whatever reason tonight I am dying to have something carby.  But I won't.  I will knit and read instead.

If you haven't tried it already, see if frozen fruit is helpful. Since it's frozen, it slows down how fast you can eat it. A cup of frozen berries, cherries, or mixed fruits really helps me.

• Like 2

Day 2 here. I'm fighting a cold that I've had for the past week, so I'm feeling miserable, but not because of the food. I really realized today how much I mindlessly snack at work - I knew I did, but I don't think I really noticed the extent. But despite making kiddos homemade hot chocolate with marshmallows, toast with honey, etc. I stayed on plan. I do need to come up with some portable snacks I can have on work days between lunch and dinner.

• Like 2

Day 10. Food is fine. I'm not craving anything but wine :huh:  It's cold and snowy here and work has turned into a nightmare. I really just want to go home and sit on the couch with a glass of wine. This was my undoing last time. Trying to decide if it's truly worth the sacrifice. I went on the WHole 9 forum and there are lengthy discussions of wine being the hardest part for lots of women in particular. I ordered a book recommended on the thread but the snow has delayed it. Maybe I should download it on my kindle and read it tonight for motivation! Full confession, I have also had one hershey kiss this afternoon and yesterday afternoon.  :crying:  

Day 2 here. I'm fighting a cold that I've had for the past week, so I'm feeling miserable, but not because of the food. I really realized today how much I mindlessly snack at work - I knew I did, but I don't think I really noticed the extent. But despite making kiddos homemade hot chocolate with marshmallows, toast with honey, etc. I stayed on plan. I do need to come up with some portable snacks I can have on work days between lunch and dinner.

The mindless snacking was the first thing I noticed. I ate without being hungry and without even thinking about it. I'm on day 10 and am doing fine with snacking and cravings, except wine! Good luck as you keep going!! 

Day 39 here.  The scale has finally gone back down and I lost another 1.5 lbs. The only things I changed were drinking more water and eating more.  Good to know.

I never made my chicken casserole concoction yesterday so I am making it today.  I am also making an egg roll in a bowl recipe I found, as well as some more roasted cauliflower soup.

B:  eggs and bacon

L:  shrimp and avocado salad

D:  chicken and cauliflower rice casserole

• Like 1

Day 11. This week has gone slower than last but I'm hanging in there. Feeling more energetic today - hoping Tiger Blood is right around the corner! Managed no wine last night and I have somewhere to be tonight so that will be helpful. Tessamae's BBQ sauce is yummy! 

B - greens and berry smoothie, proscuttio

L- last of the vegetable beef soup

D- leftover BBQ chicken, cole slaw and sweet potato

• Like 1

I made it to Day 40.  Hurray for me.  Although the way my day has been I really need a drink. 

I made a variation of this recipe for dinner.  It is really good.  I had my doubts.  It tastes exactly like my mom's homemade Thanksgiving stuffing.  I guess it is the thyme.  I would definitely make it again.  http://www.aiwclinic.com/recipes/chicken-and-cauliflower-rice-casserole/  ((This recipe is adapted from Against All Grain's Danielle Walker.  I used her recipe but cannot find it on line.  The only difference is she uses ghee instead of olive oil, and I think she uses 1 tsp. less salt).

Hope everyone is doing well!

Day 13 and I'm feeling good. Yesterday DH and I went out to dinner for Valentine's day since the restaurant isn't open on weekends. I made lots of special requests and my dinner ended up being delicious. I also had a glass of wine! So technically cheated. But I felt fine and feel great today so I think I'm good for the rest of the challenge.

Need to prep this weekend and I'm not sure what my go to meal will be for next week. It's been so nice having a big batch of something to get me through.

Feeling more energetic today but still no tiger blood:) hoping it kicks in soon.

• Like 1

Day 13.  Doing alright.  More energetic but not in a crazy way.  I've been wanting some carbs but not sugary desserts.  Some rice or some of the fresh baked bread my kids keep wanting to make.

Need to prep this weekend and I'm not sure what my go to meal will be for next week. It's been so nice having a big batch of something to get me through.

Yes, this!  Making something that will get me 3 or 4 meals or maybe more (and especially something that no one else will eat) has been very helpful.

It's freezing here this weekend (like, don't go outside for more than 2 minutes for fear of frostbite freezing) so my plan is to hunker down and cook all weekend.

Day 14. YAY! No Tiger Blood energy yet, which I really need. I do think my mood is better. I am getting bored of the food though. Really need to figure out what I am eating this week before it's too late. I feel like I go to the grocery store all the time, I am always missing one thing. I am hoping to make a flank steak with chimi churri sauce tonight but of course I need some ingredients. I did buy some dried coconut with cocoa yesterday which is probalby SWPO in some manner, but I needed something new for my pallette- chocolate :lol:

I also bought some kombucha yesterday I am interested to try. I have zero idea or expectations of what that will taste like.

Saturday

B- small green. berries and chia  smothie, proscuttio and grilled sweet potato

L - plaintain chips,, salsa, hazelnuts and 2 cuties

D - chicken taco salad - (did not care for - maybe I just don't like ground chicken) so I ate more proscuttio and green beans, and coconut chocolate.

Sunday

B- large smoothie with some coconut chocolate

L - Leftover BBQ chicken, grilled sweet potatoes and green beans

D- Flank steak with chimichurri sauce and vegetables to be decided .

Confession time:  I fell off the wagon yesterday.  DD made fudge.  I made V-Day cookies and sweet bread.  I could have held out against two but all three of them together did me in.  I admit to having a small taste of each one.

However, back on the wagon today.  I'm basically hoping to continue well past the 30 days with this style of eating and with only the occasional lapse a la yesterday.

B - 2 eggs over greens

L - chicken coconut curry soup with cashews

D - roast chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots

Whole 30 and Valentine's Day =/= fun.  No candy, my husband turned down hockey tickets for the evening (thinking I wouldn't enjoy myself), and no dinner out.  Trying to salvage it by cooking ribeyes and lobster tails.  I am going to make spiralized potatoes that I will sauté in a pan (let's just call it what it is - French fries).  This is way, way, way too SWYPO for me but if that is the worst I do on Day 42 then so be it.

I may make myself a drink - a glass full of strawberries, some vodka, and a LaCroix lime water.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom

The hardest part of all of this is how much my social life, entertainment, fun is built around food and drinks. We skipped a social event last night because I knew I'd just be tempted by all the junk food and drinks. If it would have been something I needed to go to or really wanted to attend I could have made it through, but this one didn't seem worthy of the sacrifice.

I'm glad there's not much going on in February, but for a long term success I'm going to have to find some healthier social outlets.

• Like 1