Menu

Hive Car Shoppers: Help me pick a winner!

1bassoon

For those of you who remember this thread, we've narrowed it down. (This is all pending mechanical inspections Monday)

Option #1: 2011 Honda CR-V. 75,000 miles. Basic model. Comes in about 3000 under budget for us, which means we'd have $$ extra to give to ds to help him buy something.

Pros: Cargo space. Less expensive. Handles well.

Cons: Dd11 says the back seat is "squishy but manageable". Higher miles. Older car. Not sure about timing belt, may need replacing.

Option #2: 2013 Honda Accord. 36,000 miles. Basic model.

Pros: Drives great. Great gas mileage. More comfy back seat. Newer car.

Cons: Smaller cargo space. Top of budget, but workable.

Option #3: 2013 Honda Accord, 75000 miles. Deluxe model.

Pros: Same as above, but the two big ones: has backup camera & lane assist. Also 1800 under budget.

Cons: Smaller cargo space. High miles.

We'd really need the cargo space when we take the girls to FL for a week to see my parents, or up to Lexington for a weekend to see my oldest dd. Other than that, I think the Accord would work.

Thoughts? Weigh in! I want this decision done!!!

Edited by 1bassoon

Are the Accords 4-cylinders or v-6's? A 4-cylinder Accord will get better gas mileage than the CR-V.

Personally, since I keep cars until they die (I had a 23-year old Civic until my youngest wrecked it), I would buy the one with the lowest miles. The drive-assist and back up camera wouldn't interest me enough to overcome the fact that the car has double the mileage of the basic model.

• Like 3

Are you currently using a back-up camera and lane assist?  I bought a car thinking I'd like those features. I didn't. I sold and bought a different car.  (I do like the other luxury upgrades generally speaking though!)

The higher mileage Accord - are they freeway miles? Like most people, I tend to prefer lower mileage cars, but I've bought some higher mileage, freeway-only cars that served me very well.  My nephew is a car guy, and he says some lower mileage cars can be worse bets if they were driven "hard" - lots of stop-and-go traffic, harder braking at lights/signs, etc. He'd take a higher mileage executive's car over a lower mileage mom's car.  I try not to be insulted. LOL

We're a Honda / Acura family.  If I'm remembering right, my sister's CRV had a bench seat for the second row - and I think that's why we used to take her car, instead of another sister's Accord, when we drove to visit my niece at college. The bench was more comfy for longer drives, even with only two of us back there but definitely when more people packed in and rode with us.

• Like 2

No, I'm not using a backup camera now. But when you have a friend whose daughter was killed in a back-up accident. . . .well. . .I can always install one, right?

Dh & I just had the thought; we've got kids to help move places - college, apartment, etc. The CR-V might be a better bet. Still processing, though.

Next factor: Dh has taken a job starting in the fall as a college professor. Read= not a great salary. But the lower payment could be offset by more need for repairs. . . . . .

I need to get this over with!

Edited by 1bassoon

For those of you who remember this thread, we've narrowed it down. (This is all pending mechanical inspections Monday)

Option #1: 2011 Honda CR-V. 75,000 miles. Basic model. Comes in about 3000 under budget for us, which means we'd have $$ extra to give to ds to help him buy something.

Pros: Cargo space. Less expensive. Handles well.

Cons: Dd11 says the back seat is "squishy but manageable". Higher miles. Older car. Not sure about timing belt, may need replacing.

Option #2: 2013 Honda Accord. 36,000 miles. Basic model.

Pros: Drives great. Great gas mileage. More comfy back seat. Newer car.

Cons: Smaller cargo space. Top of budget, but workable.

Option #3: 2013 Honda Accord, 75000 miles. Deluxe model.

Pros: Same as above, but the two big ones: has backup camera & lane assist. Also 1800 under budget.

Cons: Smaller cargo space. High miles.

We'd really need the cargo space when we take the girls to FL for a week to see my parents, or up to Lexington for a weekend to see my oldest dd. Other than that, I think the Accord would work.

Thoughts? Weigh in! I want this decision done!!!

If the only time you need the cargo space is occasionally, I'd look into stuff bags or a roof rack/carrier and cross off #1 for that reason, plus an accord will give you MUCH better gas mileage than a CRV.

Between option #2 and #3, I'd choose #2.  Here's why: #3 has 39,000 more miles than option #2.  39,000/12,000 (a common mileage per year) = 3.25  Which means that you are giving up 3.25 years of service to save only $1800.  That doesn't really make sense to me.  So, I think #2 is the best buy.

This assumes that you are most likely to drive the car until it dies.  If you tend to swap cars around every few years, I would calculate it based on cost per year to drive, and include likely resale value in my equation.

Dh & I just had the thought; we've got kids to help move places - college, apartment, etc. The CR-V might be a better bet. Still processing, though.

It's never a good idea to purchase a car for things you will do rarely.  You can rent either a larger vehicle for that or a box truck.

For example, the gas difference between an Accord and a CRV with be far, far more than you would ever spend on rental cars. 

• Like 1

I had a van with a backup camera, it was about the only thing I liked about that van (not a Honda). I'm back to happily driving an SUV and my husband is installing a back up camera for me at this very moment. It's definitely not a required feature, but I sure love it. (My uncle, who I never met, was also killed being backed over by a car so I am a touch more paranoid about that than the average person).

To me, 75,000 is not a lot of miles on a vehicle. We do keep up with maintenance and my husband is able to fix or troubleshoot most little problems before they turn into big ones. We tend to keep vehicles until they are approaching 200k miles. If it were me, I would get the vehicle that is the most comfortable to drive.

• Like 2

Option #1:

Cons: Dd11 says the back seat is "squishy but manageable". 

squishy but manageable for an 11 yo - is *intolerable* for a 15 - 16 yo.

dsil loves accords.   but that was as a single guy with no kids.

• Like 1

squishy but manageable for an 11 yo - is *intolerable* for a 15 - 16 yo.

dsil loves accords.   but that was as a single guy with no kids.

Yeah, she was talking about the middle back seat. She'd be the only one who had to sit there, and then only occasionally. We brought her with us and made her sit there with dh next to her, so she could feel it. And really - dd 17 will be out of the house sooner rather than later. . . . . so honestly the days of us needing to squeeze 3 in a back seat are rapidly coming to a close.

I think they are all 3 good choices.  It just depends upon which you think is the best balance between price and features for you personally.  All 3 are Hondas with less than 100K on the meter.  You could very easily drive any of them 10 - 15 years depending upon how many miles you drive annually.  We have a 2001 Odyssey with nearly 250K on it that we bought brand new.  We also have a 2007 CR-V we bought last spring that is closing in on 100K.

Presently, I have no reason to think that the Odyssey couldn't go another 100K at least.  I plan to put at a minimum of 200K on the CR-V.  If you take reasonable care of a Honda, or Toyota for that matter, they will run for a long time in my experience. 

Edited by Dad 4 Boys
  • Like 2

We bought a Honda Odyssey used, but when researching we found that the transmissions tend to go out? Or maybe that's minivans in general or the model years we were looking at? This was years ago, so I'm fuzzy on the details.  We made sure to get one with a rebuilt transmission.  Our car has been a great buy. My hubby is pretty good about finding cars that have been well cared for and in good shape. We paid $5,000 cash for a 2001 in great conditions and couldn't be happier.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Yeah, she was talking about the middle back seat. She'd be the only one who had to sit there, and then only occasionally. We brought her with us and made her sit there with dh next to her, so she could feel it. And really - dd 17 will be out of the house sooner rather than later. . . . . so honestly the days of us needing to squeeze 3 in a back seat are rapidly coming to a close.

we had kids in and out for awhile.  even after they went off to college, they'd come home and we'd travel with them.  until they never, ever, went anywhere in our car, there needed to be adequate head and leg room.  

I'm still loath to give up the cargo space . . .  if we do another family trip - I'm renting a suburban.

• Like 1

I know how Han Solo is but not much more than that.  I have corrected my post though.  I even reread it and didn't catch that.

a parsec is a unit of measuring distance to and between stars.   approx. 3.26 light years.

much has been made of han solo boasting about making "the kessle run in less than 12 parsecs" in response to luke commenting "what a hunk of junk" upon first seeing the millenium falcon. 

I guess george lucas either thought fans didn't know anything, or just liked the sound of the word and he didn't know anything.  (I was a teen when it came out - and I knew what a parsec was.)

eta: and don't sweat it.  we've all said things like that on occasion.  I thought it was funny.

Edited by gardenmom5

For those of you keeping score at home, we spent the extra $$$ and went with the low mileage Accord. We now own a shiny NEW car! We were tempted to add on the extended warranty, but then didn't. Anyone ever done that?

Anyway, thanks for the perspective :)

Edited by 1bassoon
  • Like 2