Menu

Desert ideas besides cake for DH to take to work???

Um_2_4

I'm drawing a blank here. DH needs a desert idea to take to an office party. He is planning this for his supervisor. Supervisor is providing a cake (from a nice bakery), tea, coffee, etc. They want some additional deserts to serve alongside. No refrigeration available, will take early in the am and serve after lunch. Any ideas????

I'm stuck on cookies and brownies.

Maybe baklava???

Oh! Maybe a tray of baklava and a tray of bar cookies?? lemon bars, blondies, CC cookie bars, etc.

his group loves desert. I "joked" about sending a tray of fruit and was laughed at. He would just bring it home  :lol: . 

This group is used to me baking cakes and sending them (not fancy, just sheet cakes like carrot cake or black forest cake). Hence why I am stumped.

• Like 1

Chocolate chip bars.  The recipe is on the back of the Hershey's semisweet morsel package.  Fast, easy, and good.

Or 7 layer bars--everyone's favorite, and they stay fresh for days.

Or if you want to buy something, Aussie bites are fantastic and a little healthier than typical desserts, but still really sweet.  Available at Costco, too.

• Like 1

Anything that can be eaten without needing a plate or utensil. When there's a party at dh's office there are always folks who really want to take their treat back to their desk to eat later...like a cookie or bar or brownie.  Something that would be fine sitting for an hour or two at their desk.  It's interesting how many people want to enjoy their splurge in private.   And then again, some will eat cake at the party and want to tuck an additional treat in their pocket for later in the afternoon.    

But man, every idea tossed out upthread sounds awesome.  I'll take one of each, please!

• Like 1

Now I'm thinking pies, would apple or pumpkin need to be refrigerated???

What about lemon bars??? Would 8 hours without a fridge ruin them???

I don't refrigerate apple pies, but I do pumpkin and pecan because we like them cold. Lemon bars should be fine unless it's hot, assuming the filling sets correctly. It can be finicky for me.

My general rule for desserts is that if it has egg in it, cooked or not, it needs to go in the fridge.

So fruit pie, ok, Lemon bars or cheesecake no.

Almost all of my brownie, cookie, and pound cake recipes have eggs in them, but I never refrigerate those. Birthday cakes sometimes too, though DH prefers cake cold. Cheesecake I do because of the cream cheese. I wonder what the actual food safety rules are...

• Like 1

Fruit pizza.  Make a giant sugar cookie and cover with cream cheese frosting and berries, especially strawberry slices. There's enough sugar that bacteria growth is inhibited and you won't get food poisoning from leaving the frosting out all day.  It's super easy to slice strawberries quickly if you use an egg slicer.

• Like 1