Menu

Advanced Placement Exam Commiseration thread 2016

I would encourage everyone to just keep asking, keep going up the line until you get a different response.  Of course, politely and trying to get them on your side.  I actually contacted the AP coordinator in our area back in September.  I didn't want to spend the whole year in an AP class only to find out the student would have nowhere to take the exam.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were all super helpful.  Although our district tends to not be very friendly to homeschoolers, and the superintendent has in fact spoken out very directly against homeschooling, setting up to take the AP exam was very simple and they were very nice about it.  They would have even ordered a test that they weren't already giving.  We would have had to pay an additional proctor fee if that had been the case, but luckily, they were already giving the tests we needed.  We did have to pay for them, though, even though they don't charge the public school students.  

• Like 1

So upset. The school we used last year and were going to use this year (for all but Comp Govt) just informed me that no outside students are allowed this year throughout their entire district.

Dh has volunteered to help with calls. I may take him up on that.

The local high school has only 3 of what she needs. The other two in the district only have 2. I am waiting for responses from a school 30 min away and one an hour away.

Only *2 schools* in our state are offering Comp Govt this year. I fear we will be driving through Philly or Baltimore traffic for that exam.

I usually start securing spots in October/November.  That gives plenty of time to find an school and perhaps negotiate for the proctoring of an exam the school might not typically offer.  I then usually pay fees in Jan/Feb.  This year the school wanted payment in December but I didn't notice the email they sent until my January prompt to check on exams.  It worked out in the end.

I recommend not limiting yourself to public schools.  You may find that private schools are also willing to accommodate kids.

That's unfortunate.  Can you call your school board?  Local legislators?

This situation is about the only negative of living in a low- (practically non-) regulation state. The schools and districts can do whatever they want.

I usually start securing spots in October/November.  That gives plenty of time to find an school and perhaps negotiate for the proctoring of an exam the school might not typically offer.  I then usually pay fees in Jan/Feb.  This year the school wanted payment in December but I didn't notice the email they sent until my January prompt to check on exams.  It worked out in the end.

I recommend not limiting yourself to public schools.  You may find that private schools are also willing to accommodate kids.

i checked with private schools. All but one do not allow outside students. APs are just so popular that they literally do not have any extra space. The one school that does allow outside students is only offering 2 of dd's 5 exams this year.

I found a school that will be giving 4 of dd's 5 exams. Strangely, they are not doing Environmental this year but they are doing the rare Comparative Government! Environmental is scheduled for the same day as Psych, so I need a school reasonably close by in order for dd to be able to take both. I called the other high school in that downstate district yesterday but missed the AP coordinator. Dh, bless him, will try her this morning.

Fingers crossed!

(And yes, I had that first site set up in December. Until the district changed the policy. Grr. Last year was so smooth :()

I worried about this all year, but it looks like we'll be able to go to the school my husband teaches at (not the closest school, but in our district and nearby). I keep fearing it will all fall through at the last second, but I have it in writing and filled out an official looking online form already to sign him up. The county next door doesn't accept any kids who don't attend, so it's maddeningly inconsistent. And there's a private school nearby that happily takes homeschoolers but doesn't offer the exam we need this year (human geography). I don't understand why the College Board doesn't make it easier for us to give them our money!

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 2

I don't understand why the College Board doesn't make it easier for us to give them our money!

When I was in my panic, I asked for a supervisor when I called them and made the same comment. She bluntly said that homeschool registrations are a very small percentage of their business and not a priority. She said that the scheduling of multiple tests over multiple days has to be handled by the schools themselves because every school is different, so the College Board doesn't get involved other sending the tests and getting them graded and recorded.

She said she'd pass on my concern, but here we are two years later, and nothing has changed.

They let us register for the SAT and SAT II's ourselves, but not the AP's.

I just sent out two emails for our first time going through this. I'm so nervous! I hope someone will let oldest ds test with their school.

Both people that I originally contacted (the AP Computer Science teachers at two schools in our area) replied quickly that we could test at their school.

Then, the first teacher replied that after checking with the administration, we couldn't test there.

I was still hopeful about the second school, but now the person in their administration isn't returning any contact. I'm starting to panic. :-(

So upset. The school we used last year and were going to use this year (for all but Comp Govt) just informed me that no outside students are allowed this year throughout their entire district.

Dh has volunteered to help with calls. I may take him up on that.

The local high school has only 3 of what she needs. The other two in the district only have 2. I am waiting for responses from a school 30 min away and one an hour away.

Only *2 schools* in our state are offering Comp Govt this year. I fear we will be driving through Philly or Baltimore traffic for that exam.

This is probably not the case here, but did you let the know that you would be using your own school code? Some districts do not want outside scores and are concerned with that.

For the Comp. Gov. test this year, I had to go to yet another district to find a school. I let them know that ds did not need any accommodations and that he is an experienced AP tester and that he can also come and prebubble paperwork beforehand.

Your district sounds like what we faced in our district starting last year.  When I received placement for all of ds's tests this year, I summoned up the nerve and finally sent my letter of complaint to the district. We'll see what they say.

• Like 3

:party: So is she testing at two different schools?

Yes, they're about 10 minutes apart in two different districts about 45-60 minutes away. They couldn't have been easier or more welcoming :)

Our district with three high schools offers the basis: bio, chem, one physics, calc AB, APUSH, alternating Lang and Lit, alternating World and Euro, psych, Spanish, with macro/micro or stats every so often. Dd would still need Enviro and Comp Gov. I didn't even ask our feeder school once I learned that the original school, the one she tested with last year, had 4 of the 5 classes. Comparative was the tricky one!

Next year she'll probably just take US gov and Macro. Micro and APUSH are under consideration, depending on what she does this summer (Plan A abroad vs Plan B domestically). I am sure I'll be able to get her a seat either at our feeder high school or one of those two downstate high schools :)

• Like 2

Yes, they're about 10 minutes apart in two different districts about 45-60 minutes away. They couldn't have been easier or more welcoming :)

Our district with three high schools offers the basis: bio, chem, one physics, calc AB, APUSH, alternating Lang and Lit, alternating World and Euro, psych, Spanish, with macro/micro or stats every so often. Dd would still need Enviro and Comp Gov. I didn't even ask our feeder school once I learned that the original school, the one she tested with last year, had 4 of the 5 classes. Comparative was the tricky one!

Next year she'll probably just take US gov and Macro. Micro and APUSH are under consideration, depending on what she does this summer (Plan A abroad vs Plan B domestically). I am sure I'll be able to get her a seat either at our feeder high school or one of those two downstate high schools :)

Looking at your signature, is she taking 5 APs this year?  How does she manage?  Dd is taking AP chemistry and it's probably 1-2 hours a day plus labs and more study on the weekends.  

And good for her!  

• Like 1

Looking at your signature, is she taking 5 APs this year? How does she manage? Dd is taking AP chemistry and it's probably 1-2 hours a day plus labs and more study on the weekends.

And good for her!

She's scarily self-motivated when it's something she wants to study. AP Lang, not so much ;) (That class is my requirement :lol:)

She spreads her work out over all days of the week, from about 9am to 4pm and then after ballet/MUN/YIG for an hour or two. Having Arabic in the middle of the day is a bit tricky as we're gone from 12:05-1:20 four days a week. She prefers to work in bursts with breaks for exercise on non-ballet days, meals, and reading fan fiction in between.

• Like 1

I think we should all consider complaining to the College board again. I did last year and I think I should this year. It is ridiculous that testing centers cannot be used of which there are plenty around the country for various exams.

We had a nice experience with a testing center in our area.  My kids each took the SCAT on separate occasions.  We arrived early, then expected a long wait until our exam start time, but we were pleasantly surprised that my kids could begin their exam without a wait.  They could elect to take a break or not take one.  If they did take a break, they could resume the exam whenever they were ready (within the time limit) and not have to wait for a bunch of other students to get settled.  It was all very flexible.

As I recall there were some students there taking the MCAT.  If  testing center is good enough for medical admissions, I would think it would fine for everything else.  

A few years back a local high school didn't follow the AP rules precisely, and all the students who took the exam had their scores nullified.  (Note the school wasn't punished for its error, only the students.)  We've also seen testing (ISEE) at local schools where mistakes were made in the time allotted, proctors were discussing problems with the students during the test,  and other nonsense.  

I vote for test centers where they seem to know what they are doing.  

• Like 2

I think we should all consider complaining to the College board again. I did last year and I think I should this year. It is ridiculous that testing centers cannot be used of which there are plenty around the country for various exams.

Yes, I actually called them again in January and also resent the same letter I sent last year. It's such a headache for us.

Same reply -- homeschoolers are just a fraction of their customer base, and the "system" isn't currently set up for doing it any other way. They'll take it under consideration in future planning.

Given that the College Board is having financial difficulties, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yes, I actually called them again in January and also resent the same letter I sent last year. It's such a headache for us.

Same reply -- homeschoolers are just a fraction of their customer base, and the "system" isn't currently set up for doing it any other way. They'll take it under consideration in future planning.

Given that the College Board is having financial difficulties, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I do wonder why they wouldn't consider setting it up like the SAT testing and SAT II testing. That is so easy to sign up for! I can't really understand what the difference would be administratively between administering a SAT II test and an AP test. You'd think it would be easier on them and require less resources than the current setup.

• Like 5

I do wonder why they wouldn't consider setting it up like the SAT testing and SAT II testing. That is so easy to sign up for! I can't really understand what the difference would be administratively between administering a SAT II test and an AP test. You'd think it would be easier on them and require less resources than the current setup.

Actually it's more complicated because it happens during the school day.

The local director of guidance told me that the SAT is trivial in comparison. He can draw teachers or administrators to proctor from the three high schools in the county, and there's always some who want a little Saturday pay to do that. They don't make a ton, but it's easy work. He always hires enough proctors and a few extras as backup.

He doesn't do AP's that he's not already offering because he has to pull someone from their normal duties for half a day, which could mean having to get a substitute or rearrange someone's schedule. They're already short-staffed and have a limited budget for substitutes. He said that doing the PSAT during the day is hard too.

If they moved it to a Saturday, it might be different, but there are so many now, I'm not sure that would work either. I have vague memories that my AP's were on two Saturdays when I took them in the 1970's, but I may be wrong. There weren't that many then. I know that the PSAT was on a Saturday.

• Like 2

Finally got my daughter's AP Music Theory scheduled! I did not try going to the principal of the school where I was told no (you know, the one where her orchestra plays for their musicals).  Instead, I went to a rural-ish high school in the next town.  So far, two exams at one high school (they only offered two of the four she was doing), one at another.  Will be working on the last one next week.  This has been hard work! It has also been eye-opening because last year was so easy (did all of them at school that she is doing two this year.)  We need better laws in California to allow homeschoolers access to the things our tax dollars are paying for!

Edited by learners4life
  • Like 4

Finally got my daughter's AP Music Theory scheduled! I did not try going to the principal of the school where I was told no (you know, the one where her orchestra plays for their musicals). Instead, I went to a rural-ish high school in the next town. So far, two exams at one high school (they only offered two of the four she was doing), one at another. Will be working on the last one next week. This has been hard work! It has also been eye-opening because last year was so easy (did all of them at school that she is doing two this year.) We need better laws in California to allow homeschoolers access to the things our tax dollars are paying for!

I think your last point is key. In VA AP tests were pretty easy to schedule. It just wasn't a big deal. It might be complicated in CA by the fact that homeschools are private schools or part of a public charter school or private PSP.

• Like 1

I have tentative places for all three exams. One school doesn't want me to come by until March. He was very firm about that. :-) I am acquainted with the guy there, and I realize it's best if I just go with it and hope for the best.

The other tests will be done with a public program for homeschoolers. We are not affiliated with them currently, but were in the past, and the guy is willing to work with me. The thing there will be whether he orders the correct tests. He's well meaning but super disorganized, and doesn't necessarily read or respond to e mails (or voicemails, lol.) So, hoping for the best, and glad he is willing anyway.

I feel a lot less pressure this year though, because it's the end of senior year, and if the tests don't happen, eh, they don't happen. College apps are done!

For those who may not find a testing location: one year we substituted the SAT World History subject test for the AP exam because we couldn't find a location. I'm actually glad now that it worked out that way, because it gave her a non-math/science subject test.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got approval today for DD's AP Calc AB exam.  There was no issue getting approved to take it, just tricky to do the run-around to find the right person to get the OK from.

Gr8, they didn't want to hear from us until March either.  Mostly because they can't accept payments for the test until March.

• Like 1