Menu

Vikings and castles - History resource suggestions needed

EMC

My 7yo ds dislikes story of the world volume 1. (except the ancient Egypt chapters). We have dropped SOTW for now and have been just reading books on ancient Egypt. I asked what is he is interested in studying next. He wants to read about Vikings and castles.

Anyone have any favorite resources for Viking or castles for this age? 

Thanks,

Emily

My 3rd grader (and I) just read Viking Adventure and Sword in the Tree both by Robert Clyde Bulla, and Leif the Lucky by D'aulaire.  She's enjoyed all three.  Also on our list is The Apple and the Arrow, A Medieval Feast, Minstrel in the Tower, and Castle Diary. We'll also be reading through Castle and Cathedral by David Macaulay. 

• Like 2

My 3rd grader (and I) just read Viking Adventure and Sword in the Tree both by Robert Clyde Bulla, and Leif the Lucky by D'aulaire.  She's enjoyed all three.  Also on our list is The Apple and the Arrow, A Medieval Feast, Minstrel in the Tower, and Castle Diary. We'll also be reading through Castle and Cathedral by David Macaulay. 

We loved these books!

We also read and really enjoyed this book: "The Vikings" by Robert Livesey and A.G. Smith (Discovering Canada Series) http://littlebrick.com/discoveringcanada/vikings/index.html

There are stories, fact pages and activities/crafts you can make and do.

We also made:

- viking longhouses (with popsicle sticks, box and craft moss)

- rune writing on stones

- viking shields and other weapons

We still have this field trip to Newfoundland on our wishlist to see the Viking settlement: http://www.historicsites.ca/lanse-aux-meadows/

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Usborne UK has these amazing paper cut out books you can use to make cool models of viking villages, medieval villages, etc.  They aren't available through Usborne USA, but I found them "used" through 3rd party sellers on Amazon.

My husband and my oldest son made the Viking Village--it was set up in our living room for years.  Good memories.  :) 

• Like 1