Menu

What's the problem? Iron or no board?

Night Elf

I've had the same iron for at least 20 years. I don't use it really. I don't even have an ironing board anymore. But I did use it recently to iron out some wrinkles in a couple of shirts and it didn't work. The iron was still hot. I couldn't touch it but maybe it wasn't hot enough? I put many towels on my dining room table and ironed on top of them. I also tried ironing on top of my bed. Why didn't it work? Do I really need an ironing board? Or is my iron simply old and should be replaced?

Edited by Night Elf

Maybe the problem was the shirts, not the iron? I've had that happen before - a garment that refuses to be ironed and needs heavy duty starch or something to behave.

:iagree:

I always use a light spray starch. Most fabrics need just a little moisture of some kind. Back in the day, my grandmother sprinkled her clothes with water, rolled 'em up, and put them in the freezer before she ironed them. Unless they needed starch, and then they were soaked in the starch first.  Oy. Iove my spray starch, lol.

• Like 1

Do you have an old board you could cover with just one towel? I think you need a firmer surface to iron on.   If the shirt is cotton, you need the iron to heat up quite a bit- if I try to iron cotton on the wool setting I get poor results. And I second the starch or even spray some water on your shirt- just a light mist. 

A lot of people I know put a towel on their kitchen counter-just one towel. It works beautifully for them. 

• Like 4

I personally don't put water inside irons (seems to always backfire for me) but keep a spray bottle of water nearby and use that. Did you try spraying with water?

I would not think ironing over a towel would be ideal. Fluffy, bumpy. I would iron on a hard surface with maybe a pillow case or something very flat. I don't know what your table is made of and if that would be dangerous for the table.

Ok. I'll try water first. If that doesn't work, I'll buy starch.

Yes, an iron on a dining room is dangerous. I didn't know that and ruined my table when I used only one towel at first. There are scratches on the table so the bad spot isn't horrible, but I still felt completely stupid.

• Like 1

My ironing board is huge and annoying. I understand. We got a wall mount but this particular ironing board isn't compatible. Go figure. I would like to actually get rid of this one and replace with a smaller board that is compatible with the wall mount. Then when you are done you hang the iron and the ironing board on the mount.

Was the steam function working? My guess is that the iron heated up but the steam holes (for lack of a better word) were clogged.

There is a way to clean your iron using vinegar which would help to unclog the holes.

steam alone is not enough. You need a liquid of some kind--water, spray starch, something. I know this because I iron shorts and capris and sometimes even Mr. Ellie's shirts. Also sometimes cloth napkins. :hat: