Menu

S/O tattoos----what about ear piercing at a tattoo parlor?

Ottakee

I am not interested in a tattoo but I am interested in getting my ears pierced.

I have had them pierced in the past.....twice but they grew shut in my early 20s and I had them redone about 6 years ago but I had some sort of reaction to the earrings and they never healed properly.  Both of these were done with the "gun" method at a mall type setting.

I have heard that the hallow needle method at a tattoo parlor and their earrings might be a better method for me.  Has anyone ever done this?  Does it hurt?  I am not a wimp at all, but want to know the pain level.  Can they do it successfully if I have 2 prior piercings that have grown shut?

This is for my basic ear lobe piercing, nothing high up, fancy, cartilage, etc.  Just your plain jane, middle age mom wants basic stud type earrings thing.

• Like 2

We did when my oldest DD got her ears pierced at 7. The woman was awesome. She spent a ton of time measuring and making sure the holes would be even. DD didn't flinch and said it didn't hurt at all. She hasn't had any issues in the 5+ years they've been done.

• Like 1

We had dd's ears pierced at a tattoo place when she was 7.  I was insistent that we not have it done with a gun and the only other option in our area was the tattoo place.  I was very pleased with the results.  They use a needle and dd said it did not hurt much at all.  I also like that they typically use rings (hoops) for healing rather than studs which makes cleaning far easier.  I would for sure recommend it.  We were not bothered by dd seeing the photos on the walls or the language choice of the artists that some might object to.  Dh is heavily tattooed so we knew what we were getting into beforehand.  So that is the only thing I would caution about.

• Like 2

That is the only place I get my piercings done - tattoo parlors with professionals piercers. Our state has very vigorous licensing compared to many in that area, but they are always clean, professional, and careful.

I've had my ears done as a little kid at a Claire's and multiple other body and ear piercings done with professional piercers. I would never get myself or one of my kids done anywhere else again.

Always visit a professional piercer.

I had my eyebrow pierced by a professional piercer and I am being 100% honest when I say it didn't hurt at all.

I would never, ever, ever trust some skeezy booth at the mall. Never.

Yup. My nose and helix piercings were painless. My best friend's tragus and labret piercings were as well. Some locations just hurt more but with good technique and the right needle it is definitely manageable.

I will only take my kids to a piercing studio, though a professional, sterile piercing tech at a tattoo parlor would probably provide a similar piercing experience.  Tech should use a brand new (packaged) needle for each piercing, and tray, tools, etc should all be obviously clean/sterile (like a dentist office), hands gloved, etc.  

• Like 4

In our area of the world, the only place for non-infants to get their ears pierced are tattoo parlors.  My 9 yo had hers pierced at one last year; she said it didn't hurt much, and we were both happy with the experience.  I agree with Suzanne about finding a professional studio.    

I am checking into local options. Of course, I am an early bird and most places don't open up until noon or later.

Oh....and the look on my husband's Face this morning was priceless whe. I said I was looking at going to a tattoo parlor. Not something his very conservative middle aged wife is known to do

• Like 2

FWIW, DD was allowed to get her ears pierced at 13.  We went to her pediatrician's office.  The doctor's recommendation is to wear medical plastic for the first year.  Apparently, that's how long it takes for the hole to completely heal.  Following that protocol greatly reduces the likelihood of developing a reaction to one or many of the metals frequently used in earrings (even the "hypoallergenic" ones.)  Just something you might want to consider since you've had a previous reaction of some kind.  HTH.

• Like 4

The piercer we used was really knowledgeable about different metals. We got the captive bead rings almost 2 years ago now. My holes weren't closed but I stopped wearing earrings so at age 6 (the minimum ) and 8, my girls were pierced. Neither flinched buy the big one had to be held down for shots. Piercer all the way. Expect to pay closer to $75- $100 than mall prices though

Birth certificates are required here too, as there are some laws regarding how old you must be to have a piercing done even with a parent present. It varies by state.

I'd be concerned about sanitary conditions.  yeah, I know they have to meet standards, I also know not all of them do.  same thing with those shops in the mall that sell lots of bling aimed at tweeny girls and do ear piercing.  some of them, I'd have reservations about sanitary procedures.

I'd be concerned about sanitary conditions. yeah, I know they have to meet standards, I also know not all of them do. same thing with those shops in the mall that sell lots of bling aimed at tweeny girls and do ear piercing. some of them, I'd have reservations about sanitary procedures.

I had to be "trained" to pierce ears when I worked at Limited Too (the tween version of The Limited) in high school. I would never take my own daughter to a place in a mall after that. All employees had to learn whether we felt comfortable or not. Fortunately, there was always someone else willing to do the piercings when customers came in. I had mine done at a jewelry store when I was 11, and it was ok, but not great. I've told DD that she needs to wait until she's at least 11 like I was, so I still have a few years until I need to find a good place to take her.