Menu

velcro shoes for big kids?

mathnerd

My DS wears a size 6 Big Kids shoes. He needs new shoes every 3-4 months because of sports activities (running, basketball etc) as the soles are pretty worn down after a few months of use. He is more comfortable wearing velcro shoes, but recently, I am unable to find any velcro shoes in his size in all the brands that I have purchased from - mostly Skechers, New Balance and Nike. I have looked in sports stores as well as outlet stores. Is there a brand that makes velcro shoes for bigger kids? I would prefer to buy wide width shoes if at all possible. Any sources or suggestions are appreciated.

have you looked online?  or nordstrom?  (they started as a shoe store.) or stride right if you have one in your area.

I have a similar problem - but dudeling only wants slip-ons.  I finally came up with merril jungle moc.  the basic shoes comes in a wide, but not the leather.

• Like 1

My kids wear slip on shoes from lands end, but I don't know how good they'd be for athletics. They are very nice imo, though for light hiking and just running around outside. Sorry I'm no help I guess haha.

A local store carries Geox. Will go and check it out.

Geox was too narrow for one of my boys eventhough he does not need wide shoes. Best try in stores if your son might need wide shoes.

Lace ups would be an easier long term solution.

Another way would be to swap out long laces for shorter ones and knot each end of the shoelace like what Converse does for their no-lace shoes. That works well for basketball shoes.

Oops I don't know if they make them in "big kid" sizes or not. I was just linking Sketchers shoes with faux laces in case you hadn't looked at that style. I'm still confused on how shoe sizes work. Ds wears a 13 now, but he's 7. So maybe that's little kid size.

http://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/kohls/1926382?wid=800&hei=800&op_sharpen=1

Edited by heartlikealion

My DS wears a size 6 Big Kids shoes. He needs new shoes every 3-4 months because of sports activities (running, basketball etc) as the soles are pretty worn down after a few months of use. He is more comfortable wearing velcro shoes, but recently, I am unable to find any velcro shoes in his size in all the brands that I have purchased from - mostly Skechers, New Balance and Nike. I have looked in sports stores as well as outlet stores. Is there a brand that makes velcro shoes for bigger kids? I would prefer to buy wide width shoes if at all possible. Any sources or suggestions are appreciated.

Didn't read more than the op so I might be off track. My 10yo with fine motor issues wears regular shoes with elastic laces purchased off Amazon. Trying to teach him to tie was a huge fail and we can't find Velcro in his size so all his shoes have elastic laces.

Update: I ordered 2 kinds of the elastic bungee chord shoe laces and they are both awesome! We replaced the existing laces in the shoes that DS has and it has worked out so well that buying laced up shoes in the future and converting them to "no lace" shoes will solve all our lace tying problems. They hold up very well for sports and we have tested them for a few days now.

I also found a pair of velcro shoes that comes in large sizes and wide width on amazon - it is by New Balance and DS has tried it out and likes them as well - it goes up to Big Kids Size 7 in case someone else on this thread is looking for velcro shoes in those sizes - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYK67D2

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

• Like 1