Menu

Do you usually use Saxon 8/7 or Alg 1/2 (or both)?

They're roughly equal. Saxon 87 is similar in setup to the lower Saxon maths. It's also has more arithmetic, but still covers the algebra. Algebra 1/2 is setup like the upper Saxon math. It's slightly heavier on the algebra versus the arithmetic.

Many families do one or the other, but some use both.

• Like 1

My student is on Saxon 7/6 so we'll be right where you are, next year.  Here is what is recommended in TWTM: "In recognition that many seventh graders won't be ready to start pre-algebra (Algebra 1/2), Saxon provides Math 8/7 to serve as a bridge between Math 7/6 (the sixth-grade book) and Algebra 1/2. If your sixth grader is still stumbling over the concepts in Math 7/6, don't push her into Algebra 1/2; use Saxon's alternate sequence (see the table "The Saxon Program," below). Either sequence is perfectly acceptable for a middle-grade student (TWTM pp. 259-260, third edition).

The Saxon Program: Regular Versus Alternate

Regular Saxon Sequence

5th  - Math 6/5

6th - Math 7/6

7th - Algebra 1/2

8th - Algebra 1

Alternate Saxon Sequence

5th - Math 6/5

6th - Math 7/6

7th - Math 8/7

8th - Algebra 1/2

Hope this helps.

Lily    :001_smile:

Edited by stlily
  • Like 2

Since I don't own either of these I thought I would ask. Are they roughly equal?

I always follow the publisher's recommendation: with current editions, students who complete Math 76 with at least an 80% average go to Math 87, then Alg. 1; students who complete Math 76 with less than 80% do Alg. 1/2, then Alg. 1. The only reason I might do both is if a child is very young and it might not be a good thing for him to be doing Alg. 1 when he's 12. :-)

IOW, I don't just pick one. I follow the publisher's recommendation.

• Like 3

I always follow the publisher's recommendation: with current editions, students who complete Math 76 with at least an 80% average go to Math 87, then Alg. 1; students who complete Math 76 with less than 80% do Alg. 1/2, then Alg. 1. The only reason I might do both is if a child is very young and it might not be a good thing for him to be doing Alg. 1 when he's 12. :-)

Are you sure about this? It seems like if they complete 7/6 with less than 80% they would go into the slightly easier book. Do the different editions matter? We are using the older ones.

When we first started homeschooling, we used the placement test from Saxon.  My son blew through the 8/7 section, but started struggling in the Algebra 1/2, so he started in that book.  To me, knowing the way the placement test is set up, I would think that those books are not the same. 

That being said, I don't know what advice to give someone who has been using Saxon up to this point.  We came into at that level, so no experience prior. 

• Like 1

Are you sure about this? It seems like if they complete 7/6 with less than 80% they would go into the slightly easier book. Do the different editions matter? We are using the older ones.

With current editions, yes.

With older editions, it's the opposite: Math 76, Alg. 1/2, Alg. 1, unless Math 76 was completed with less than an 80% average. And it isn't that one is easier than the other; it has to do with what is covered.

• Like 1

This is exactly what we did. My dd did the 3rd edition of 87 as a 7th grader and is now doing Alg. 1 in 8th, and is doing really well with it.

I know the old recommendation was that Alg. 1/2 was stronger than 87. I believe that to be the case if using the 2nd edition books. But that in the 3rd edition, 87 is the stronger text, and you would use Alg. 1/2 on a slower track.

With older editions, it's the opposite: Math 76, Alg. 1/2, Alg. 1, unless Math 76 was completed with less than an 80% average. And it isn't that one is easier than the other; it has to do with what is covered.

This is what we need to follow - I was confused because we are using older editions. She has a high average in Math 7/6.

• Like 1

This is exactly what we did. My dd did the 3rd edition of 87 as a 7th grader and is now doing Alg. 1 in 8th, and is doing really well with it.

I know the old recommendation was that Alg. 1/2 was stronger than 87. I believe that to be the case if using the 2nd edition books. But that in the 3rd edition, 87 is the stronger text, and you would use Alg. 1/2 on a slower track.

It wasn't that Alg. 1/2 was *stronger;* it was that it taught things a little differently. I liked Math 87 better than 1/2. I still do. :-)

• Like 2

DD skipped 87 and went straight from 76 to Algebra 1/2, where she found it to be very easy.  Very little new information, and what was new was very intuitive because it was just a smidge different from what she already knew.  We use older editions, though; I think our 1/2 is the second edition.

• Like 1

Unless your student is remedial, you should use Algebra 1/2. It moves them into the Logic Stage with plenty of word problems that actually require a small amount of thought and the book also has plenty of algebra and beginning geometry.  It's much more interesting than 8/7 which is very much a drudgery.  

(I am not really a Saxon fan and would not recommend it after seeing the lack of conceptual solving my son had due to Saxon...but of the two books Algebra 1/2 is far superior and a lot more fun.)

• Like 2

Unless your student is remedial, you should use Algebra 1/2. It moves them into the Logic Stage with plenty of word problems that actually require a small amount of thought and the book also has plenty of algebra and beginning geometry.  It's much more interesting than 8/7 which is very much a drudgery.  

(I am not really a Saxon fan and would not recommend it after seeing the lack of conceptual solving my son had due to Saxon...but of the two books Algebra 1/2 is far superior and a lot more fun.)

^ You were one of the people I talked to that helped me choose Algebra 1/2!

My 6th grader is on Saxon 8/7.  He has been missing too many questions in his math these past few weeks (really because of silly errors, he can do it) - so I slowed down to do a lesson over 2 days.  One day he does the odd questions, the next, the even.  My plan is to do Algebra 1/2 in 7th.  We have used Saxon the whole way through.  It's nice to know that 8/7 seems more like drudgery to others, because I feel the same.  I'm taking things slower with my daughter in Saxon. She will be doing 7/6 or 6/5 in 6th grade.  :)

Vicki