Menu

Prayers and positive thoughts appreciated...kind of getting freaked

I have something I could use some prayers about...my left breast (nipple area) has been bothering me off and on for a couple months and I did some reading on the internet last night (not a good plan)...and this can (sometimes) be indicative of a rare (but more aggressive) form of breast cancer.

So, I'm going in tomorrow to the doc to take steps to figure it out. It is a kind of breast cancer that is impossible to detect except through biopsy because it doesn't form tumors - so a mammogram is out (had one of those last year and it was no big deal and no problems detected).

Anyway, I'm trying not to stress but it is running as a background job in my brain. Inflammatory Breast Cancer

Also, if you know anything about this...I would appreciate that info as well.

Blessings,

Angela

Praying for you. I was checked out for IBC last year and it was negative. I pray that your exam shows that you don't have it either. But I am glad that you are having it checked out.

What did they do to check it out? Was it painful? Did they take you seriously? I don't want to come off as a hypochondriac but I also don't want to miss something either.

Angela

I have something I could use some prayers about...my left breast (nipple area) has been bothering me off and on for a couple months and I did some reading on the internet last night (not a good plan)...and this can (sometimes) be indicative of a rare (but more aggressive) form of breast cancer.

So, I'm going in tomorrow to the doc to take steps to figure it out. It is a kind of breast cancer that is impossible to detect except through biopsy because it doesn't form tumors - so a mammogram is out (had one of those last year and it was no big deal and no problems detected).

Anyway, I'm trying not to stress but it is running as a background job in my brain. Inflammatory Breast Cancer

Also, if you know anything about this...I would appreciate that info as well.

Blessings,

Angela

Oh, Angela! Things like that are so disturbing! Just not knowing. So often our minds go to the worse case scenario when it's likely not that.

Be still and know that He is God.

Praying for the best for you!

Chelle

What did they do to check it out? Was it painful? Did they take you seriously? I don't want to come off as a hypochondriac but I also don't want to miss something either.

Angela

They took it very seriously. The first thing they did was to make me bare both my breasts - they check for symmetry which is I guess an important part of the diagnosis. I've never bared my breasts for so many people in my life! :blushing:

They also checked my hormone levels. (just a normal blood test). But I'm not sure if that was part of the IBC test or a further test they did to try and find out what the real problem was (after IBC was ruled out).

They had mentioned a possible ultrasound but it never got that far.

I was a little nervous when they told me it wasn't (after all, what if they had missed it?!) but they assured me that they had checked me thoroughly.

In my case it was trauma and an infection that caused one breast to bleed.

They took it very seriously. The first thing they did was to make me bare both my breasts - they check for symmetry which is I guess an important part of the diagnosis. I've never bared my breasts for so many people in my life! :blushing:

They also checked my hormone levels. (just a normal blood test). But I'm not sure if that was part of the IBC test or a further test they did to try and find out what the real problem was (after IBC was ruled out).

They had mentioned a possible ultrasound but it never got that far.

I was a little nervous when they told me it wasn't (after all, what if they had missed it?!) but they assured me that they had checked me thoroughly.

In my case it was trauma and an infection that caused one breast to bleed.

Did they do a biopsy? From what I saw on the web they say insist on a biopsy and MRI to rule it out. Biopsy sounds SCARY!

Do you think I should see if they can get me in today instead of tomorrow morning? I'd have to take my boys and I have obligations this afternoon...surely tomorrow morning would be okay, don't you think?

Angela

I think you will be okay first thing in the morning. That was my first thought when I read the first paragraph. I was very relieved for you to see you had already made an appointment. I just know that I have always been told to see a doctor for ANY changes with your breasts that lasts for longer than one cycle.

I think you will be okay first thing in the morning. That was my first thought when I read the first paragraph. I was very relieved for you to see you had already made an appointment. I just know that I have always been told to see a doctor for ANY changes with your breasts that lasts for longer than one cycle.

Thank you. I actually did call just now and the only appt they have for today is at 2:45 and we have piano lessons at 3 and I teach our History club at 3:45 so tomorrow morning will have to be it. I just hope I don't work myself into a nervous frenzy between now and then.

Thank you!

Angela

Thank you. I actually did call just now and the only appt they have for today is at 2:45 and we have piano lessons at 3 and I teach our History club at 3:45 so tomorrow morning will have to be it. I just hope I don't work myself into a nervous frenzy between now and then.

Thank you!

Angela

Sorry I didn't mean to scare you. :blush: It is just that this is something I am very passionate about. I hope it is nothing :grouphug: Tomorrow is perfectly fine. :grouphug:

Sorry I didn't mean to scare you. :blush: It is just that this is something I am very passionate about. I hope it is nothing :grouphug: Tomorrow is perfectly fine. :grouphug:

No no no! Please don't think you scared me or pushed me over the edge. I've been a nervous wreck since I started taking this serious last night and did the online "research". I greatly appreciate your input!!

Angela

No no no! Please don't think you scared me or pushed me over the edge. I've been a nervous wreck since I started taking this serious last night and did the online "research". I greatly appreciate your input!!

Angela

Oh good. I realised after I posted that it might be a bit alarmist. You take care and I will be sending good thoughts your way until you know:grouphug:

Prayers coming your way. My bff had this same scare a couple of years ago. She researched, freaked out, we cried together, she was very proactive about getting checked beyond thoroughly, and was cleared! I know how frightening this is having been through this with S. We are here for you, no matter what you need, okay! Let us know when you get back. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Prayers coming your way. My bff had this same scare a couple of years ago. She researched, freaked out, we cried together, she was very proactive about getting checked beyond thoroughly, and was cleared! I know how frightening this is having been through this with S. We are here for you, no matter what you need, okay! Let us know when you get back. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

What did she have done to put her in the confident clear?

Thanks so much!

Angela

I am glad you are getting it checked.

IBC is really rare. I think it only accounts for 1-2 % of all br@#st cancers diagnosed. I have a friend that was just diagnosed this summer. She is of Eastern European dissent and I understand that it is more prominent in this as well as African American women. It can start with itching, a sore spot on the br@#st, and then a thickening in the tissue which causes the affected br@#st to be larger than the other. Oh, and you do get tumors, just not necessarily lumps that you can feel-- it is sort of sheets of cancer cells.

Needless to say, I know way more about IBC than I ever wanted to know.

I am praying that it is nothing but cyclical changes casuing your discomfort. Let us know how the appointment goes. :grouphug:

Angela

My kids' pediatrician told me he was going to disconnect my internet service because of my online research! He was only sort of kidding!

Deep breaths, Angela!

Chelle

My kids' pediatrician told me he was going to disconnect my internet service because of my online research! He was only sort of kidding!

Deep breaths, Angela!

Chelle

Chelle! That is hilarious! DH was seriously trying to pry me off the computer last night. He was saying over and over, "You'll only upset yourself...walk away from the computer." To which I responded (with great maturity) :blush:..."You're not the boss of me!" :001_tt2: :lol:

What did she have done to put her in the confident clear?

Thanks so much!

Angela

She had mammogram and ultrasound that showed that it was not IBC but an infection. She had mastitis! And she was 18 months out from having weaned too. She went through several rounds of antibiotics to find what would work to clear it up totally.

Her area was hot, red, painful, stuff coming out a bit from the nipple area.

They talked about doing a ductogram, but didn't need to after the results of ultrasound were indicative of infection rather than IBC.

I was surprised to see your post. I'm going in for a mammogram on Wednesday for similar issues. Actually, I'm just having some unusual sensitivity on the right side of one areola. It's extremely tender, but not hot and not discolored. I can also produce some discharge on both bre8sts, but I finished nursing my son almost 9 months ago. I wonder if the discharge can be leftover milk? Sometimes it's clear from the areola, and other times it's white, like milk, directly from the ni88ple.

Anyhow, I've had the discomfort for about 2 weeks now. On the site you linked, it mentioned the "orange peel" effect. I'm trying to figure out whether that's supposed to be on the bre8st itself or closer in to the areola and ni88le. I've had what feels like toughness or thickening on the right side of one areola, but other times it doesn't feel that way. I think I'm letting my imagination run wild, but now I'm thinking that based on your link, a mammogram won't necessarily provide an answer. I'll be praying for you, too, and look forward to hearing what the doctor has to say.

I was surprised to see your post. I'm going in for a mammogram on Wednesday for similar issues. Actually, I'm just having some unusual sensitivity on the right side of one areola. It's extremely tender, but not hot and not discolored. I can also produce some discharge on both bre8sts, but I finished nursing my son almost 9 months ago. I wonder if the discharge can be leftover milk? Sometimes it's clear from the areola, and other times it's white, like milk, directly from the ni88ple.

Anyhow, I've had the discomfort for about 2 weeks now. On the site you linked, it mentioned the "orange peel" effect. I'm trying to figure out whether that's supposed to be on the bre8st itself or closer in to the areola and ni88le. I've had what feels like toughness or thickening on the right side of one areola, but other times it doesn't feel that way. I think I'm letting my imagination run wild, but now I'm thinking that based on your link, a mammogram won't necessarily provide an answer. I'll be praying for you, too, and look forward to hearing what the doctor has to say.

I will definitely hold you in my thoughts and prayers too!

Angela

Chelle! That is hilarious! DH was seriously trying to pry me off the computer last night. He was saying over and over, "You'll only upset yourself...walk away from the computer." To which I responded (with great maturity) :blush:..."You're not the boss of me!" :001_tt2: :lol:

That's a good one!

We're all looking forward to hearing good news from you tomorrow or as soon as possible!

Chelle

I'm back from the doctor. She did take me seriously and seemed relatively knowledgeable about IBC. She said there doesn't to be cause for alarm and she noted just some slight irritation on the nipple itself which could be causing my itching & discomfort. She said to try some hydrocortisone cream on it for a month and then go back in if it doesn't get better. Then she would set me up for a breast MRI in the city.

I feel comfortable with her diagnosis and still definitely know what to look for as other signs of IBC if they occur. I will be IMMEDIATELY in her office if I notice anything else and I'm fully confident that she would rush me to a breast MRI in that case.

Thanks so much for your well wishes, prayers and lovely words of encouragement! I bought some different bras after my appt thinking maybe my bras are irritating the nipple.

Blessings!

Angela

I'm back from the doctor. She did take me seriously and seemed relatively knowledgeable about IBC. She said there doesn't to be cause for alarm and she noted just some slight irritation on the nipple itself which could be causing my itching & discomfort. She said to try some hydrocortisone cream on it for a month and then go back in if it doesn't get better. Then she would set me up for a breast MRI in the city.

I feel comfortable with her diagnosis and still definitely know what to look for as other signs of IBC if they occur. I will be IMMEDIATELY in her office if I notice anything else and I'm fully confident that she would rush me to a breast MRI in that case.

Thanks so much for your well wishes, prayers and lovely words of encouragement! I bought some different bras after my appt thinking maybe my bras are irritating the nipple.

Blessings!

Angela

What good news! I'm glad she had answers for you, and I'm glad she took you seriously. Thanks for letting us know!

Please keep us updated as well, ThelmaLou.

Ava